Indian girl uses Karate to defend herself. Is Karate an effective martial art for self defense?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol says the guy that keeps spouting off that Karate has no grappling.

However I was asking him a question I obviously dont have the answer, if I did I wouldn't have asked him the question

That was the answer to your question.

And no comprehensive grappling. I even explained the difference.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and so it goes on. Style X doesn't work because it failed in an early fixed UFC, style Y is better because 'I' do it and 'I'm' awesome, 'you're' talking rubbish, only 'I' know'. Okay guys, crack on, keep up the good work, in the meantime a young lady has kept her 'honour' and come out unscathed because she defended herself and apart from two other people here, no one cares because it's more important to bicker about style versus style. I'm done with this thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and so it goes on. Style X doesn't work because it failed in an early fixed UFC, style Y is better because 'I' do it and 'I'm' awesome, 'you're' talking rubbish, only 'I' know'. Okay guys, crack on, keep up the good work, in the meantime a young lady has kept her 'honour' and come out unscathed because she defended herself and apart from two other people here, no one cares because it's more important to bicker about style versus style. I'm done with this thread.

You helped start this line of discussion then suddenly jumped ship and went all moral high ground. You were basically neck deep in my style is better than yours.

And most of your accusations are wrong there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wasnt asking you I dont care about your answer

Grappling is grappling

Well it is the best answer you have so far. And the value of a public discussion is it is not all about you.

Grappling so isn't grappling. In the same way karate isn't karate.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe if they are taken down by someone who is an expert in groundfighting. Fortunately for the karateka, the overwhelming majority of self-defense situations don't involve assailants who are expert ground fighters.

You don't need to be an expert at ground fighting to dominate someone inexperienced with that range of fighting. All you really need is a size advantage and basic knowledge of takedowns. High school wrestlers, backyard wrestlers, MMA wannabes, ex-football players, etc. all have those attributes. Hell, white belts with a few stripes on their belts can do the same thing.

Good karate has good footwork. I'll agree that boxing is best for head movement, however there are other useful elements that can be found in karate but not boxing.

Perhaps. I was saying that boxing has BETTER footwork. It also has a much better system of defense, and its method of clinching works well with grappling systems.

True, but evolution (in biology or martial arts) improves fitness within a specific context. You could easily argue that a large percentage of BJJ students are being more poorly prepared for street self-defense than they would have been a generation ago because they are focused on learning how to win BJJ tournaments at the expense of stand-up, takedown, and punch defense skills.

Eh, I don't know if I agree with that argument. I'm more in line with Ryan Hall's thoughts on that topic.

Looks like this ian guy hasn't been studying karate long enough to learn the comprehensive grappling.

Karate Grappling: Did It Really Exist? | Iain Abernethy

Which is scarily along the lines of what hanzau said.

Shocking isn't it? ;)

And how much time does a predominantly "ground fighting" art spend on kicking and punching whilst standing up?

Little to none.

Many Bjj schools offer separate striking classes. You simply don't have enough time to properly teach both disciplines at once. The striking you find in classic Bjj is typically used for takedown set ups.

I think MMA does a better job of blending striking and grappling than anything I've seen out of traditional arts, but MMA grappling isn't as in depth as what you'd find in a grappling style (obviously).

Last edited:

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well obviously it does work because of this story and plenty of others. People need to realise there's more to combat than the ufc no karate wouldn't work in the ufc but most people who train karate don't give a damm about winning a cage fight they care about defending themselves. Karate has loads of moves that are illegal in cage fighting eye gouges, groin kicks, head butts, throat strikes etc

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well obviously it does work because of this story and plenty of others. People need to realise there's more to combat than the ufc no karate wouldn't work in the ufc but most people who train karate don't give a damm about winning a cage fight they care about defending themselves. Karate has loads of moves that are illegal in cage fighting eye gouges, groin kicks, head butts, throat strikes etc

Many of those "illegal moves" were perfectly legal in the first UFCs, and we got pretty much the same results we get now.

As someone said, Karate is designed to take down untrained opponents. The problem is that more and more people are getting "trained" thanks to the dispersal of information in the modern era.

As I said in my first post, great for the girl defending herself. Karate is better than nothing if you have no other options available.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
and so it goes on. Style X doesn't work because it failed in an early fixed UFC, style Y is better because 'I' do it and 'I'm' awesome, 'you're' talking rubbish, only 'I' know'.

Funny, I don't recall ever saying or even implying that (starting to notice a trend here). My point was that competition and self defense are not completely binary. They're not the same but varying levels of carryover depending on the type of competition is undeniable. At no point have I ever said anything even remotely close to "karate doesn't work because of UFC". In fact, I said almost the exact opposite of that in my second reply to this thread, back on the first page.

I know you said you're done with this thread but just in case you decide to respond again, please keep in mind that we would make a lot more progress here if you responded to the arguments I'm presenting instead of making up whatever you want to believe about my stance to fit your own little narrative.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions