In 50 years from now, what will people be nostalgic for from around today's time period?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Again, whatever makes you feel good. You do realize the vast majority of consumables come here via ships in containers don’t you? That is a far cry from a big ticket purchase. I pay the same price as anyone else at Walmart or such.
I am not a fleet buyer, far from it. I will only buy ever 5 or 6 years. I negotiate no different for my personal vehicles, farm equipment, home improvements/repairs, leisure craft and such. Hell, I even traded out a surgery once for electrical work.
If you don’t like the phrase socially conditioned how about just plain lazy or lambs to slaughter?
I'm pretty sure you scanned my post, picked out a few key words and reacted. Your post makes very little sense.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just following you lead.
It’s hilarious, because it’s so demonstrably untrue. If anything, I’ve given you way more attention than you warrant, trying to respond to your posts earnestly and share actual information. In contrast... you post things like this,

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like the catholic priests in Boston, the situation isn’t entirely unwarranted.

No, it's not. It makes me wonder about a lot of things. I don't personally know any cops who would do some of the things I've seen done on the news. And, trust me, I know a whole lot of cops, and I mean a whole LOT. More than probably anyone you know, or ever will know. Both personally and professionally.

It makes me wonder who the F trains some of these people I've seen on film.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back to the topic of this thread....

I think there will be a certain nostalgia for gas burning cars. Especially muscle cars.

And gas that was less than twenty five dollars a gallon.

And polar bears.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's not. It makes me wonder about a lot of things. I don't personally know any cops who would do some of the things I've seen done on the news. And, trust me, I know a whole lot of cops, and I mean a whole LOT. More than probably anyone you know, or ever will know. Both personally and professionally.

I am convinced it has as much to do with the film makers and reporting group. And the ease to get Everything on video now a days. Funny how you seldom see the whole interaction until much later after an encounter if at all
In our area and as far as I know every area, all officers are required to go through a federally regulated training academy. You would think that makes for a pretty level playing field but I still remember a few from my class that were, well squirrelly. Even in our area where there has been no social issues to speak of there is a shortage of LEO applicants and open positions. I can't imagine what is like in towns like Portland, Chicago or Stockton.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s hilarious, because it’s so demonstrably untrue. If anything, I’ve given you way more attention than you warrant, trying to respond to your posts earnestly and share actual information. In contrast... you post things like this,
Fair enough, but your 'information' is general knowledge that most everyone already knows. Retail markup is not some 'ancient Chinese secret'. I gave you real world, personal life experience and you kept trying to debunk it because it doesn't fit your agenda. Untruth is untruth no matter how you try to water it down or paint it a different color.
I never said negotiation is easy. It is actually quite hard because personalities and emotions are involved. Two dynamics I have to work very hard at when trying to manipulate.
Your logic appears to be coming from the common use of internet information, or should I say misinformation. One of the biggest pitfalls we can get into with the ease of information today is false of unfair conditioning.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

We can agree to disagree, because I see a lot of parallel. Not every priest was a bad apple, the church hid the enormity of the issue from the public for as long as it could, it took decades for the church to publicly acknowledge the issues and commit to fixing them, and as a result, there is a long lasting mistrust. ****, man. It looks like another unarmed guy was shot in the back 7 times at point blank range in front of his three kids. It seems to keep happening. Things didn't change in the church until folks started believing the victims.

I am convinced it has as much to do with the film makers and reporting group. And the ease to get Everything on video now a days. Funny how you seldom see the whole interaction until much later after an encounter if at all
In our area and as far as I know every area, all officers are required to go through a federally regulated training academy. You would think that makes for a pretty level playing field but I still remember a few from my class that were, well squirrelly. Even in our area where there has been no social issues to speak of there is a shortage of LEO applicants and open positions. I can't imagine what is like in towns like Portland, Chicago or Stockton.
I think you're right. It has a lot to do with the ease of getting things on video, so that people have some evidence that these "bad apples" aren't telling the truth.

Fair enough, but your 'information' is general knowledge that most everyone already knows. Retail markup is not some 'ancient Chinese secret'. I gave you real world, personal life experience and you kept trying to debunk it because it doesn't fit your agenda. Untruth is untruth no matter how you try to water it down or paint it a different color.
I never said negotiation is easy. It is actually quite hard because personalities and emotions are involved. Two dynamics I have to work very hard at when trying to manipulate.
Your logic appears to be coming from the common use of internet information, or should I say misinformation. One of the biggest pitfalls we can get into with the ease of information today is false of unfair conditioning.
Ah, so we're back to this one again. You're sniping and snarking isn't your fault. I'm just not sharing interesting enough information for you. So your poor behavior is now my fault. I'll give you one thing. You are a master manipulator. If I ever need any advice on manipulating folks and then being completely unaccountable, you're the first person I would go to.

And so far, you're denying what you admit is common knowledge, and have instead entrenched behind that time you bought some amount of white vans (that number seems to change from post to post) from a guy who complimented you on being a master negotiator, and assured you that you got a really great deal. We could talk about the psychology of that one. Whew.

I have never claimed to be the keeper of any secrets. In fact, I'm a big fan of believing things based on actual information and I generally like to provide sources. So, if I know something, I'll still often look it up to make sure I'm not misremembering before sharing it. And I do think sharing information vs sharing anecdotes is an important distinction. Anecdotes are great, if they are supported by information. They're like the cayenne pepper of discussions. A little goes a long way. But in the end, common knowledge is still actual knowledge. Information that "everyone knows" is still information. It may be a little boring, like rice and beans, but it's actual food.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Back to the topic of this thread....

I think there will be a certain nostalgia for gas burning cars. Especially muscle cars.

And gas that was less than twenty five dollars a gallon.

And polar bears.
Yeah, I mentioned driving actual cars earlier. I think that will be a big one.

But there are some electric cars that are scary fast, and electric motorcycles are crazy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree, because I see a lot of parallel. Not every priest was a bad apple, the church hid the enormity of the issue from the public for as long as it could, it took decades for the church to publicly acknowledge the issues and commit to fixing them, and as a result, there is a long lasting mistrust. ****, man. It looks like another unarmed guy was shot in the back 7 times at point blank range in front of his three kids. It seems to keep happening. Things didn't change in the church until folks started believing the victims.

I think you're right. It has a lot to do with the ease of getting things on video, so that people have some evidence that these "bad apples" aren't telling the truth.

Ah, so we're back to this one again. You're sniping and snarking isn't your fault. I'm just not sharing interesting enough information for you. So your poor behavior is now my fault. I'll give you one thing. You are a master manipulator. If I ever need any advice on manipulating folks and then being completely unaccountable, you're the first person I would go to.

And so far, you're denying what you admit is common knowledge, and have instead entrenched behind that time you bought some amount of white vans (that number seems to change from post to post) from a guy who complimented you on being a master negotiator, and assured you that you got a really great deal. We could talk about the psychology of that one. Whew.

I have never claimed to be the keeper of any secrets. In fact, I'm a big fan of believing things based on actual information and I generally like to provide sources. So, if I know something, I'll still often look it up to make sure I'm not misremembering before sharing it. And I do think sharing information vs sharing anecdotes is an important distinction. Anecdotes are great, if they are supported by information. They're like the cayenne pepper of discussions. A little goes a long way. But in the end, common knowledge is still actual knowledge. Information that "everyone knows" is still information. It may be a little boring, like rice and beans, but it's actual food.

Catholic priests have been sexually abusing people, many of them children, for hundreds of years, world wide.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As usual I am having to clean up your poor attempts at misdirection. I am glad you were there with me when I purchased my last group of service trucks to regale the transaction. I have never wavered on quantity; 12 is 12. No dealer gave me their price. No body 'complimented' me which I would give 2 shxx's about. I determined the price and made the offer. I ended up going from a Dodge dealer to a Ford dealer to pay what I wanted to pay.
Yea, I would say there is a great deal of psychological head games trying to be played. Myself and I am sure other are tired of your continual attempts to twist what has been said. A real dixx move. But at least you are consistent.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Catholic priests have been sexually abusing people, many of them children, for hundreds of years, world wide.
You know, it is one of those things I am aware of but it does not affect my sphere at all so I do not give it a ton of thought.
A fuel depot is attempting to build relatively close to one of our properties. You can bet I am being very active in stopping it. We have voted down the plan, mostly stopped the property purchase with injunctions and a contract violation suit , and have 4 commissioners in the hot seat for what appear to be illegal contract negotiations.
When it it affects me, my family, and my community I will get involved. What happens to the Pope, I will read about it and that is about it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, it is one of those things I am aware of but it does not affect my sphere at all so I do not give it a ton of thought.
A fuel depot is attempting to build relatively close to one of our properties. You can bet I am being very active in stopping it. We have voted down the plan, mostly stopped the property purchase with injunctions and a contract violation suit , and have 4 commissioners in the hot seat for what appear to be illegal contract negotiations.
When it it affects me, my family, and my community I will get involved. What happens to the Pope, I will read about it and that is about it.
NIMBY....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As usual I am having to clean up your poor attempts at misdirection. I am glad you were there with me when I purchased my last group of service trucks to regale the transaction. I have never wavered on quantity; 12 is 12. No dealer gave me their price. No body 'complimented' me which I would give 2 shxx's about. I determined the price and made the offer. I ended up going from a Dodge dealer to a Ford dealer to pay what I wanted to pay.
Yea, I would say there is a great deal of psychological head games trying to be played. Myself and I am sure other are tired of your continual attempts to twist what has been said. A real dixx move. But at least you are consistent.
Alright, calm down. You're the guy talking about being a good manipulator. You literally wrote it clearly as a point of pride. You're the one saying that folks who don't do it your way are suckers. You admit you aren't reading the posts to which you are responding. What you can't admit is that you're just off base. You're taking an extreme, judgmental position over something that really doesn't warrant it.

There is nothing wrong with haggling for a price. While I am pretty certain you didn't save as much as you believe, you probably saved yourself some dough. As I've said several time, good for you. You got 12 commercial trucks for what you believe is a really good price, and clearly you still feel pretty darn great about it. Way to go.

AND, some folks just aren't interested in the time and effort it takes to manipulate (in your words) the sales person in order to possibly save a few percent. Nothing wrong with that, either. As with martial arts, people do things for different reasons, and have different priorities. If you buy literally anything new in any store, you're doing the same thing you consider others foolish for doing. It's the same thing.. in fact, as I tried to painstakingly explain to you, it's probably more egregious. Rather than 3 to 5% for a car, you're probably paying closer to 100 or 200% markup on clothes, furniture, food, jewelry, phones.... More on some things. Or, I guess I'm presuming you don't haggle at the HEB or Piggly Wiggly. I mean, I guess you could, though I'm not sure how agreeable they'd be to your attempts to manipulate them.

AND, you don't seem to know as much as you assert, because you flounder all over the place like a fish on the beach. I share information and you share a war story about that time you bought 12 trucks. I share the same information and you say I'm wrong. I share the same information again and you say I'm right, but it's common knowledge.

Literally, all you have are war stories, arrogance, and insults. That's what you bring to the party. Well, that and a lack of accountability.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright, calm down. You're the guy talking about being a good manipulator. You literally wrote it clearly as a point of pride. You're the one saying that folks who don't do it your way are suckers. You admit you aren't reading the posts to which you are responding. What you can't admit is that you're just off base. You're taking an extreme, judgmental position over something that really doesn't warrant it.

There is nothing wrong with haggling for a price. While I am pretty certain you didn't save as much as you believe, you probably saved yourself some dough. As I've said several time, good for you. You got 12 commercial trucks for what you believe is a really good price, and clearly you still feel pretty darn great about it. Way to go.

AND, some folks just aren't interested in the time and effort it takes to manipulate (in your words) the sales person in order to possibly save a few percent. Nothing wrong with that, either. As with martial arts, people do things for different reasons, and have different priorities. If you buy literally anything new in any store, you're doing the same thing you consider others foolish for doing. It's the same thing.. in fact, as I tried to painstakingly explain to you, it's probably more egregious. Rather than 3 to 5% for a car, you're probably paying closer to 100 or 200% markup on clothes, furniture, food, jewelry, phones.... More on some things. Or, I guess I'm presuming you don't haggle at the HEB or Piggly Wiggly. I mean, I guess you could, though I'm not sure how agreeable they'd be to your attempts to manipulate them.

AND, you don't seem to know as much as you assert, because you flounder all over the place like a fish on the beach. I share information and you share a war story about that time you bought 12 trucks. I share the same information and you say I'm wrong. I share the same information again and you say I'm right, but it's common knowledge.

Literally, all you have are war stories, arrogance, and insults. That's what you bring to the party. Well, that and a lack of accountability.

Do you even read the posts or just continue with your blather?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not just catholic priests.
we just had a youth pastor get busted, with cases all over the country, from a church where a friend of mine went, with a small boy......
being in authority, and 'Christian' is a really good cover!

Latest Discussions