In 50 years from now, what will people be nostalgic for from around today's time period?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In 50 years from now, what will people be nostalgic for from around today's time period?

And how accurate would people 50 years in the past from today (1970) have been at predicting what we today would be nostalgic about?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a senior in high school in 70.

We discussed in a science class what life would be like in 30 years, in 50 years.

There was no question that some of us would undoubtedly be driving flying cars.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Pinto was designed to blow up when rear ended. My sister drove one for years until the news go out.
I do not doubt some of them 'flew'.
LOL. "Designed to" suggests that they considered it a feature. "This baby gets 18 mpg on the freeway, and has been designed to explode. That's new for the '74 model."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Things from today that people are nostalgic for.
  • I think it's safe to say that in 50 years, people will be nostalgic for the relative simplicity of our lives now. Doesn't necessarily feel simple to us, but technology will continue to move forward.
  • Physical money. When I was a kid you could pay for things with special paper.
  • Being able to drive a car. When I was a kid, we would do something called "burning rubber."
  • Camping in actual wilderness

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Pinto was designed to blow up when rear ended. My sister drove one for years until the news go out.
I do not doubt some of them 'flew'.
fly-pinto.jpg

fly-pinto-1.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think fifty years from now people will read/hear about this current pandemic and think "Couldn't happen now, science and medicine have come too far."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think fifty years from now people will read/hear about this current pandemic and think "Couldn't happen now, science and medicine have come too far."
So you're guessing the next pandemic will be in about 51 years?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you're guessing the next pandemic will be in about 51 years?
I don't know how long this one may last. I just watched today's news that we may have to

- wear mask, and
- keep social distance,

for the next 3 years.

2 days ago, there were more than 10 cars parked near one of my neighbor's house. I knew they might have a big party. I wasn't sure I should report this to the local police department or not.

I always believe in "avoiding trouble". Don't understand why people want to have big party this year.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how long this one may last. I just watched today's news that we may have to

- wear mask, and
- keep social distance,

for the next 3 years.

2 days ago, there were more than 10 cars parked near one of my neighbor's house. I knew they might have a big party. I wasn't sure I should report this to the local police department or not.

I always believe in "avoiding trouble". Don't understand why people want to have big party this year.
I think if it reaches the 3 years point, it'll just become a societal norm/culture at that point. With the exception of parties/close friends and family, people will just stay socially distant. And there's already starting to be fashion around masks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if it reaches the 3 years point, it'll just become a societal norm/culture at that point. With the exception of parties/close friends and family, people will just stay socially distant. And there's already starting to be fashion around masks.
A: My dear! After 6 months of staying home, I feel boring big time.
B: You should be glad that you don't have the COVID-19.

Life can be sad if the only happiness is "no COVID-19".

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- wear mask, and
- keep social distance,

for the next 3 years.

For every you would have held a party last year.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did not click the button but I cannot overstate how much I disagree with that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL. "Designed to" suggests that they considered it a feature. "This baby gets 18 mpg on the freeway, and has been designed to explode. That's new for the '74 model."
I didn't say it was an intentional design. But it was a seriously designed flaw.