Impartiality/lack of bias

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that just making assumptions about people's motives and thoughts? I don't know you, or your experiences, but I do know you believe in your art and techniques for a reason. I have only 4 years of experience in mine, and it would be extremely arrogant for me to tell you or anyone else your doing anything wrong. It's not for fear of losing an argument.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
See what's going on here? Everyone is getting baited into the same old arguments again.

Someone here is really good at baiting. He might even be a master at it.

Reactions: KPM

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I accept that not many people here are interested in WSL VT. The reason for debate is not to educate or convince anyone who is not interested, it is to explore questions which are interesting and to provide material for people who are interested. The kind of fear of confrontation and avoidance of genuine argument and disagreement which some here demonstrate is an example of ego taking control, and is the most destructive form of arrogance, especially in martial arts or any other physical activity.
Actually many of us have an interest in WSL VT.
Debate is to engage in argument for defending one's points and attacking the others points.
Discussion is the act of talking with others and telling them your ideas and/or opinions.
From all the different opinions and banter it is obvious most here aren't avoiding disagreement.

Reactions: KPM

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you all know what I say at this point...and I'm always right!

1896855_10152013952104150_975053564_n.jpg

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Everyone take some deep breaths and calm down. It's just an Internet forum. Nothing said here is of real significance. You don't have to win or even participate.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I understand that several people here think that it is important to be impartial, to maintain an open mind, and to make sure inbuilt bias is compensated for. This makes sense when confronted with new information you don't understand, and before you have had time to process it.

But I don't understand maintaining such a stance after you have assessed the argument being made. I think that at this point you either agree or you don't, and pussyfooting around this reality is just a form of dishonesty, both with yourself and with everyone else.

In this way "seeing both sides" means either that you just don't understand the argument, that you are concealing your true beliefs, or that you have no opinion either way. In all of these cases, what is the benefit in making a comment? Usually it appears to be done in order to shame someone expressing a strong belief. If this is the aim then why not just be honest and argue the other side?

Very good. I think this is where the scientific method and academia come into conflict with traditional concepts of respect/discipline. In science there's the saying "authority does not matter." In that sense, scientific discourse, when focused exclusively on arriving at truth, can get pretty damn offensive to the parties involved.

It doesn't have to be that way, and masters are often very skilled at applying appropriate pressure during debate not focused on crushing the opponent but on excluding all other possibilities but the truth from the conversation.

There are always opponents who won't change their mind or flex, and for that I quote John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty."

"I acknowledge that the tendency of all opinions to become sectarian is not cured by the freest discussion, but is often heightened and exacerbated there by; the truth which ought to have been, but was not, seen, being rejected all the more violently because proclaimed by persons regarded as opponents. But it is not on the impassioned partisan, it is on the calmer and more disinterested bystander, that this collision of opinions works its salutary effect."

~ Alan

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to win or even participate

Er...you do know we aren't trying to win and it's our site so we do participate. I don't pay NOT to participate lol. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@anerlich. You don't know me enough to disagree with what I said. When a post says 'I do or I don't not do something' I don't see how you can disagree.
I think you meant to click 'dislike'. :rolleyes:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm so glad I missed the conversation that gave birth to this thread

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I accept that not many people here are interested in WSL VT. The reason for debate is not to educate or convince anyone who is not interested, it is to explore questions which are interesting and to provide material for people who are interested. The kind of fear of confrontation and avoidance of genuine argument and disagreement which some here demonstrate is an example of ego taking control, and is the most destructive form of arrogance, especially in martial arts or any other physical activity.

I'm sorry, what is WSL VT, please?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Refusing to confront for fear of losing is ego

Ego ruled by fear. Seriously :D When you lose, and everybody does in element, ego does not exist, usually a healthy respect for what went wrong. You really do come out with some funny stuff.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@anerlich --I had to counter your "dislike" on Tez's post above with a "like" --just to prove to all that I'm not afraid to disagree! Nobody's gonna accuse me of namby-pamby impartiality. Beyond that, I'll second Tez in shouting, Ghurkas!

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@anerlich --I had to counter your "dislike" on Tez's post above with a "like" --just to prove to all that I'm not afraid to disagree! Nobody's gonna accuse me of namby-pamby impartiality. Beyond that, I'll second Tez in shouting, Ghurkas!
-------------------------------------------------
Gurkhas, gorkhas

from western Nepal and spilling over into parts of northern part of my home state-Bengal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------
Gurkhas, gorkhas

from western Nepal and spilling over into parts of northern part of my home state-Bengal.

Now that's going to start an argument! When the London Olympics was on, at work we were watching the women's boxing, the UK girl Nicola Adams was fighting an Indian lady who I'd watched a documentary about, an amazing women who I happened to say to my Gurkha shift partner didn't look Indian but Chinese, I then got a rather long lecture ( friendly I hasten to add) about the Indians conquering and taking away Nepalese land! It must have happened quite a while ago but the resentment is still there to see!
These days the Gurkha regiments in the UK are open to all Nepalese who can pass the tests to get in, the Military here is also open to all Commonwealth citizens.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now that's going to start an argument! When the London Olympics was on, at work we were watching the women's boxing, the UK girl Nicola Adams was fighting an Indian lady who I'd watched a documentary about, an amazing women who I happened to say to my Gurkha shift partner didn't look Indian but Chinese, I then got a rather long lecture ( friendly I hasten to add) about the Indians conquering and taking away Nepalese land! It must have happened quite a while ago but the resentment is still there to see!
These days the Gurkha regiments in the UK are open to all Nepalese who can pass the tests to get in, the Military here is also open to all Commonwealth citizens.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Indian army has Gurkha regiments. Indians have diverse facial structures and pigmentation. Not all Nepalis are gurkhas. About 3 clans are the tough Gurkhas- specially the Gurungs,
Nepalis living in North Bengal claim special rights- not those in the Kingdom of Nepal.
Gurkha kuhkri work is as good as they come.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Indian army has Gurkha regiments. Indians have diverse facial structures and pigmentation. Not all Nepalis are gurkhas. About 3 clans are the tough Gurkhas- specially the Gurungs,
Nepalis living in North Bengal claim special rights- not those in the Kingdom of Nepal.
Gurkha kuhkri work is as good as they come.

I have worked with the Gurkhas for quite a few years now and know them well, my point about the Gurkha regiments was that the British army has opened up the regiments to all Nepalese not just Gurkhas now. The Gurungs are known as bullies to the others and aren't popular, my friend is a Gaha. The Nepalese claim India invaded and annexed part of Nepal hence my comment. I know that Indians have various facial structures as have the Nepalese etc but few have such pronounced Chniese features as this boxer.

Latest Discussions