Im starting Judo on the 10 of Febuary!

M

muayThaiPerson

hey, like the topic says, im staring judo. can someone tell me wat to expect on the first day. or wat u learned on the first day? man this is gonna be so cool. muay thai and judo!:D :D :D

OP
J

J-kid

I do Modern Judo Jujutsu, Its alot diffrent from Tradional judo schools.

O yeah and i am going to the Washington state championship Going for 1st.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Judo-kid: Why does your instructor call his system Judo jujutsu? Wouldn't one name or the other describe it better? I've just been wondering for a while. :)

Anyway, yes, breakfalling (at least some), maybe some basic footwork and sweeping, maybe a forward throw, maybe some groundwork. Depends on whether it's a beginners class or an adult class that you're joining in the middle of its own development.

Basically it's down to the instructor to decide what to teach. You get the easy part. All you have to do is learn. :)

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Expect frustration, bruises and so on.

If you've done Muay Thai you'll probably be used to that though.

You may find that you don't feel very fit. Many people going from grappling to boxing/kicking or the other way round find that each discipline requies a different type of fitness.

OP
C

chufeng

When I started Judo (1977), I did breakfalls for two weeks and then played uke for 4 additional weeks before I was allowed to throw anyone...So six weeks of falling down...it was actually kind of fun.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

does judo teach a way to fall in order to minimize injuries?

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Indeed it does. In fact, it's a basic part of the syllabus that the judoka learns how to fall correctly.

OP
J

J-kid

My coach did say that Break Falls do stop 90% of the throws impact but he shows us there are other ways like body manigment to get around throws. Alot of times people intespate the breakfall instead of rolling out of the throw.

OP
A

Abbax8

MuayThai, welcome to the wild and wonderful world of judo. Each instructor has their own way of teaching, but generally you will learn how to fall without getting hurt and how to roll out of other types of throws. You will probably get to dive over people who are kneeling on the mat as your rolling and falling skills progress. You will learn throws, holds, joint locks and chokes. You may learn eventually weapons defenses, but this comes later and is sometimes not taught if the club is more shiai oriented. you may even practice Atemi skills, again nowadays often neglected. If you find you truly enjoy Judo, here are two books I recommend, 1) Kodokan Judo by Kano as a good basic reference. 2) Best Judo by Inokuma and Sato. Have Fun!!!!

Peace
Dennis

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai,

If not flexible in the neck and shoulders, start doing some good multi-directional stretches. What the others have said prior about breakfalls is very true, but you will land awkwardly from time to time and the neck / shoulder region can get tweaked or jammed easily. The stretches will enhance proper absorption when landing off kilter a bit. I went from TKD to Judo and the conditioning is a little different until you learn how to relax and not "stiffen up". After a while you start burning energy almost the same way. Judo is great. The comraderie is even better. There are "wannabes" in every art and the Judo "wannabes" don't stick around in a good school. It is hard work. If you coast, you get manhandled. I expected to be given "the business" for being a TKD guy and actually was treated very professionaly. Judo deserves more credit than it gets for pioneering many of the positive practices in modern Martial Arts today. Enjoy yourself!

white belt

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid
My coach did say that Break Falls do stop 90% of the throws impact but he shows us there are other ways like body manigment to get around throws. Alot of times people intespate the breakfall instead of rolling out of the throw.
That's true.

Sometimes, it's better to just roll out of it. But at times, it's better to breakfall. Only training and experience can make your actions instinctive.

Latest Discussions