test for next level

M

muayThaiPerson

hey, for all u MTers out there...im going to take a test soon for advancing to the next level adn getting a patch. can someone please tell me what to expect!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This seems to be a more specialized question that most of us can answer. If you would have said any other art you might have received more responses.

OP
A

Angus

I think the patch thing is just something your school does, because I've never heard of it anywhere else. Since Muay Thai has no rank outside of the ring, each school is subject to interpretting it how they'd like.

Arnisador, you only have to test for shorts if you're member of the USMTA. Schools who are not affliated simply just wear them.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We are involved with the TBA-USA and we test for shorts and for kru. Where exactly does your patch go? heh

If it's anything like my first shorts test it consists of 2 rounds of 50 kicks and 25 knees to the holders pads while he is kicking you in the legs, torso and head and hitting you in the face with the pads. How hard he hits you is dependant on how nice they are I guess, at my school they left black bruises all over my body and a sore jaw to boot. Other than that they made me start showing my technique in shadow boxing (which I pushed way too hard for) and after the 2 rounds of getting beat on they made me do another 2 rounds of 5, 5, 5.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

Angus

That's pretty crazy, Damian, because that's WAY harder than the USMTA/TBA-USA short test cert requires. If I remember correctly, it's only a round or two of shadow boxing, 2 combinations, and a couple kicks on some thai pads. I'd hate to take my kru test there! :eek: :D

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see how it's harder than TBA-USA requires considering Ajarn Chai sits in on the Kru tests (it's his federation)....... Kru test is similar to shorts test but you have to do 60 kicks and 50 knees each round and they hit you HARD. The holder is always someone extremely tough for your weight and sex.

For us we can test for first shorts certification or you can fight at the amateur level. You have to wait a year before you can qualify for your shorts either way.

What about for you?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

Angus

Are you sure that's all that's on the kru test? That's an easy kru test compared to what I've heard. Feeders hitting HARD is pretty standard, but the one's I've heard about (including my teachers) including a couple rounds of shadow boxing, calling out techniques against Thai pads, testing combination #'s (the long combinations), 3ish 3-5 minute rounds of kneeing and kicking where a certain number of kicks and knees must be through (I'm pretty sure each where close to or over 100), and then some rounds of sparring, I'm pretty sure. All this and endurance testing with pushing, situps, etc. All the while the feeder is throwing kicks and punches. CRAZY. I'm glad I won't be taking mine for a while! :D

I'm hoping to get to watch someone take their kru test this sat/sun, because I'm going to a 2-day, 10+ hour seminar with Ajarn Chai. Good stuff!

As for the length of time between, that's standard TBA stuff. One year before shorts if no prior MT training, then I think 2 years before the next student level. I'm currently working toward the second level, though I've been doing MT for about 4 years now.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh hell yes of course there's all that as well I just don't mention it because the part that counts (at least to me) is getting beat on by the holders.

"I'm going to a 2-day, 10+ hour seminar with Ajarn Chai."

That's kool, I've been to 2 of Ajarn Chai's seminars and even got to know him a bit thanks to my Laos girlfriend who speaks Thai and got him talking to me. He keeps telling me to marry her.....I just answer "yes sir!"

He's going to be in Thailand when I go (if my foot heals in time) and will get to talk to him some more while I'm there I hope.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions