Judo or Wrestling?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hi everyone, i am so grateful for all ur help! i think i have made the decision to actually not go try the judo class... i'm pretty certain i will like wrestling better... i dont think i want to be thrown from that high... lol... i also saw a 1.5 hour typical judo class on youtube where they just set up a camera and let it roll for the whole class and it reminded me very much of my karate days where there's about a million drills, preparations and things... which just doesnt make sense or work for my style of learning. and i know that someone here said (and i will reply individually) that in wrestling the learning style is kind of more you learn a few moves then lots of practice with less detailed technical explainations? i prefer that i think... and i really have alot of trouble with anything that coordinates the upper body/and limbs. in karate i couldn't really even get the basic blocks. i can maybe remember 1? and that was less than 2 years ago and i trained for around 3-4 months. i also don't want to be too straight and high up like alot of you have mentioned... i will def i think have trouble with the wrestling flips... but i'm not really wanting to train at any sort of competitive level. i also get the feeling that its slightly more casual learning culture in wrestling? like some of you have said about the japanese styles' culture being a little more ridgid?

i'm pretty sure it was freestyle wrestling i did the other night. i really dont know how i will survive the warmups but the actual class content was more than managable.

i am also a bit overwhelmed at the amount of things that i'm trying to do at once. bjj, muay thai, wrestling, weights... and i can kinda only do one thing per day and i need about at least 2 -3 days rest so i am running out of energy and time to try out new classes like the judo one at the other gym... i always hav this need to try everything before i "buy" but this time i'm really not sure if that's entirely neccesary? especially with so many of you saying that they are so similar? when i watched the 1.5 hour class on youtube i remember thinking that class just looks no fun at all... untill maybe the last 15mins... i'm sure every dojo is diff... but i think like many of you say, i will get lots of benefits if i do either.

so ...yeah i think i will stick with the wrestling! thanks SO SO much everyone and pls continue the conversation if you like :) i always feel so lucky i found this group where i can access so many expert advice at my fingertips!!!!! thankuthankuuuu!

Just a word of advice/caution...

Don't base Judo on what you saw on YouTube. Every teacher/coach is different. On top of that, every day in practice is/should be different. Perhaps that teacher wanted to emphasize technique that day. Perhaps his students learn better than way. Perhaps he's just a boring teacher. Perhaps...

But if you found something you truly enjoy, stick with it. No sense in fixing something that isn't broken.

As far as doing too many things, listen to your body. Monitor how you're progressing. If you're looking for mastery in one area, them maybe it is time to narrow things down. If you're looking to have fun with it and you can take or leave getting really good at one aspect, then proceed. It's your training and no one else's. I'm too competitive with myself in that I need to get really good at something (not that that's happened yet!), and focus everything on it until I've gotten there, but that's just me. Perhaps it's obsessive. Others get bored with things and need constant change. Perhaps that's a bit "ADD-ish." It's all about how you're wired, not how anyone else is.

Life's too short to not do things that make you happy.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a baby judoka (three years in now), I say both are well-worth training. I'd be just as happy with wrestling (especially Catch Wrestling) if there was no Judo here.

It is cool to learn how to use an opponent's clothes against them. Anything you can do to someone in a gi can be applied to a jean jacket or similar if self-defence is a goal. No leg grabs allowed in Judo these days though. We learn them for grading, but they're banned in competition.

However, neither are really self-defence arts anymore. Finding an old school Judo dojo is a long shot, and finding a HEMA club that does old style kampfringen well is also unlikely. That being said, both Judoka (except me) and wrestlers are tough customers and can usually handle themselves well enough. Don't think that either will help you much against a knife attack though.

And Judo is just a type of wrestling with a stout jacket on. There's some celtic jacket wrestling (Gouren, etc) that is fairly similar. It's not magic, just physics.

If you've been in judo only 3 years, they've just not taught the magic to you yet. You have much to learn, Padawan.

OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i def agree with you... i am hoping that my boyfriend and me will go for a judo class on valentines day so that i can at least say that i've tried both. tnite i injured my knee in wrestling and felt really discoraged as we did single leg take downs and it was a bit scary...

Just a word of advice/caution...

Don't base Judo on what you saw on YouTube. Every teacher/coach is different. On top of that, every day in practice is/should be different. Perhaps that teacher wanted to emphasize technique that day. Perhaps his students learn better than way. Perhaps he's just a boring teacher. Perhaps...

But if you found something you truly enjoy, stick with it. No sense in fixing something that isn't broken.

As far as doing too many things, listen to your body. Monitor how you're progressing. If you're looking for mastery in one area, them maybe it is time to narrow things down. If you're looking to have fun with it and you can take or leave getting really good at one aspect, then proceed. It's your training and no one else's. I'm too competitive with myself in that I need to get really good at something (not that that's happened yet!), and focus everything on it until I've gotten there, but that's just me. Perhaps it's obsessive. Others get bored with things and need constant change. Perhaps that's a bit "ADD-ish." It's all about how you're wired, not how anyone else is.

Life's too short to not do things that make you happy.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i def agree with you... i am hoping that my boyfriend and me will go for a judo class on valentines day so that i can at least say that i've tried both. tnite i injured my knee in wrestling and felt really discoraged as we did single leg take downs and it was a bit scary...

Some people think dinner and a movie on Valentine's Day. Others think throw, choke, and snap their date's limbs.

I'd love to bring my wife to a Judo class as a date. She's got other ideas.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if she secretly thinks about taking up shooting and bringing me along to hold up targets? I'm glad she doesn't read this.

apmarek

White Belt
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but a quick question: doesn't BJJ have its roots in judo? Colonel Fairbarn was a black belt in it I believe and he helped make WW2 combatives known as defendu. I'd be curious to see what others think as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but a quick question: doesn't BJJ have its roots in judo? Colonel Fairbarn was a black belt in it I believe and he helped make WW2 combatives known as defendu. I'd be curious to see what others think as well.
Black belt in judo? Not BJJ. Right?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. BJJ is an offshoot of Judo specializing in newaza. It's also absorbed elements of Sombo and catch wrestling along the way, but the origin comes from Judo.

apmarek

White Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard of Sombo, but I have heard of Sambo- which is Russian.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sambo has a racist connotation in America, so it's commonly referred to as sombo.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would honestly recommend wrestling over Judo for a host of reasons. Beyond that, your typical Bjj school should offer a good mix of both without the limitations found in both aforementioned sports.

So in short, wrestling over Judo, and Bjj over both.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do i know whih one is more suited to me?
Im quite a big girl. I am reasonably strong. And i dont have too many issues with speed (used to do salsa). But im not the best at cardio... i get puffed out quite quickly in most activities. I love bjj and muay thai so far and i just want to learn one more m.a...
Should i do judo or wrestling?

I have read on other posts judo these days is so restricted by fed laws that its become wrestling with a gi... and iv read that wrestling is easier to learn.

I would like to do the one thats easy to learn when compared to the other, and the one that will be better in a self defense situation.
Any suggestions?

Thank u!

There are some big differences between Judo and wrestling. The main difference is that in wrestling you're trying to pin your opponent and in Judo you're trying to submit your opponent. Also, wrestling does not have the throws that Judo has and you're much more restricted as to what you can do. In wrestling you can't choke your opponent or use any of the joint locks that they use in Judo. A wrestler would have no problem pinning a Judokan but a Judokan wouldn't care if they're pinned since they can still fight. Likewise a Judokan would have no problem getting a wrestler in a submission hold and once somebody is in a submission hold the fight is over. If you're looking for self defense I would say definitely go with Judo. Wrestling is not meant to be for self defense, its meant to be a sport and its not intended to be used for self defense any more than other sports such as Tennis or Golf.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are some big differences between Judo and wrestling. The main difference is that in wrestling you're trying to pin your opponent and in Judo you're trying to submit your opponent. Also, wrestling does not have the throws that Judo has and you're much more restricted as to what you can do. In wrestling you can't choke your opponent or use any of the joint locks that they use in Judo. A wrestler would have no problem pinning a Judokan but a Judokan wouldn't care if they're pinned since they can still fight. Likewise a Judokan would have no problem getting a wrestler in a submission hold and once somebody is in a submission hold the fight is over. If you're looking for self defense I would say definitely go with Judo. Wrestling is not meant to be for self defense, its meant to be a sport and its not intended to be used for self defense any more than other sports such as Tennis or Golf.

Has there been a Judo match won by a sub?
I dont think that is too common.

There is more evidence of wrestling being used in self defence than tennis or golf though.

like 50,000 years of it.