If you would have to practice only one martial art, what would it be?

OP
C

Chiduce

White Crane Kenpo! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
B

Bushido

I think Kenpo is the big winner here! :lol:

-Bushido

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bushido

-Bushido

Personally, I think everyone is the winner.
Not only do they ahve an idea of what they want
to study, they this forum to post to also.

Therefore everyone Wins! :D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I've taken some judo, some aikido, some TKD, some hapkido, and some jiujuitsu (sp?), and most of these styles had something in it that wasn't really clicking with me and my style... I found TKD a little too showy, and some of the others not as practical or street oriented as I wanted. (Just my opinion, others probably feel differently, I'm just saying that the art and I didn't click the way we should have)

However, I found american Kenpo and it ROCKS!

OP
M

MTisGreat

id have to say Muay Thai. its very effective and was invented on the battle field as a means of survival:D

OP
T

thaiboxer

-Bushido

thank god it is, makes the world a little easier to live in. thank god its not all BJJ or MT

OP
T

thaiboxer

Me: bjj
You:???

-Bushido :samurai:

personally (and i can vouch for this from last saturday night at a pub), you cant go past the good old left jab, right cross (me being orthodox stance - boxing), stuff trying to take people to the ground - put em on the ground.

OP
B

big351stang

American Kenpo all the way

Kenpo- The art of adding insult to injury

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MTisGreat

id have to say Muay Thai. its very effective and was invented on the battle field as a means of survival:D

No offense, sir, but Mr. Parker invented American Kenpo as a response to situations you would find yourself in on the streets of the modern United States and situations you might find yourself in where you have to defend yourself even if they are in a bar, parking garage, etc.

I'm not sure about Muay Thai, but what type of "battlefield" was it developed for? One where you and your opponent are both encumbered with "gear?" I know when I was in the US Army, we trained to shoot the enemy "SOBs," not punch them. And even so, punching in boots and a helmet and an 80lb rucksack with web gear and canteens would not be the same as fighting some guy when I'm in blue jeans walking on the sidewalk with my keys in my hand.

Just a thought. If it was developed for the "battlefield" then its advantage would lie there I would think. Just as Jiu-Jitsu was developed for fighting from/on the ground and has advantages in those situations.

I have seen similar remarks made before and I just wanted to chime in and say that the art will naturally be most effective when used in the manner and in the environment it was developed for.

I know the style has great kicks and strikes. It is very brutal from what I understand. Most Muay Thai train more like Boxers than McDojo students so I would also guess that on the whole, a Muay Thai fighter is in better physical condition than an average "Karate" student.

Thank you.
:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Doug,
I think I could possibly be slightly off base here but, yes there always is a "but", Martial Arts in general were developed either for or "on" the battlefield, thus the word Martial, and refined later.:asian:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

Doug,
I think I could possibly be slightly off base here but, yes there always is a "but", Martial Arts in general were developed either for or "on" the battlefield, thus the word Martial, and refined later.:asian:

I think you're correct, it's just the way MA have devolved in modern times that can question if an art is an MA or not.

/Yari

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see this term pop up....... well, as I see it... the origin of the Martial Arts were a necessity in battle or in defense of ones self or homeland...... hence "Martial" or military action was needed.

Modern Times..... as in today .... this historical practice has turned into a business of teaching physical skills but we have no war to go to. We have "games" to "test" to some degree our skills, (sport non-contact to full contact to submission) but death is not the ultimate result and thus not a real qualifier to reality.

We must accept the fact that there are numbers of ways to develop the human being for battle and we must choose how hard and to what age group and to what level we push (or are able to push) people to train.

I can tell you this........ If I would train people for real battle, I would have no one in class after a couple of classes...... lol

We must try to teach legitimate material with realistic results possible if the student carries through an trains as if he were preparing for real self defense. Other than that all we can do is the best we can do.......

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I see this term pop up....... well, as I see it... the origin of the Martial Arts were a necessity in battle or in defense of ones self or homeland...... hence "Martial" or military action was needed.

Modern Times..... as in today .... this historical practice has turned into a business of teaching physical skills but we have no war to go to. We have "games" to "test" to some degree our skills, (sport non-contact to full contact to submission) but death is not the ultimate result and thus not a real qualifier to reality.

We must accept the fact that there are numbers of ways to develop the human being for battle and we must choose how hard and to what age group and to what level we push (or are able to push) people to train.

I can tell you this........ If I would train people for real battle, I would have no one in class after a couple of classes...... lol

We must try to teach legitimate material with realistic results possible if the student carries through an trains as if he were preparing for real self defense. Other than that all we can do is the best we can do.......

Not true, I could hang with the "Golden One!:mad:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are right I should re-phrase that...... I would only retain a "few" good men/women....... hee hee

There are a few of my "E-Bunny's" (They take my licking and keep on ticking) out there. :rofl:

OP
T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by cdhall

"No offense, sir, but Mr. Parker invented American Kenpo as a response to situations you would find yourself in on the streets of the modern United States and situations you might find yourself in where you have to defend yourself even if they are in a bar, parking garage, etc.

I'm not sure about Muay Thai, but what type of "battlefield" was it developed for? One where you and your opponent are both encumbered with "gear?" I know when I was in the US Army, we trained to shoot the enemy "SOBs," not punch them. And even so, punching in boots and a helmet and an 80lb rucksack with web gear and canteens would not be the same as fighting some guy when I'm in blue jeans walking on the sidewalk with my keys in my hand."

muay thai is the unarmed form within the whole thai fighting art of krabi krabong. the simple but effective movements are based on the principles of their weapon use, and if disarmed they used similar movement with their 8 weapons on their body.
it was used to defend thailand from invasion from surrounding countries such as burma etc. muay thai is still used in combat training, US sends troops over with the thais and they have a big training shindig. as do other countries i believe.

"Just a thought. If it was developed for the "battlefield" then its advantage would lie there I would think. Just as Jiu-Jitsu was developed for fighting from/on the ground and has advantages in those situations."

well thats the good thing about muay thai, its suitable for anywhere anytime. thats why its so effective. especially in pubs
:)

OP
S

Shinzu

to be honest, i would need to practice in many differet arts to make this decision. but if i had to make a choice right now it would be TSD

Latest Discussions