Who here is backing up its striking art with grappling?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by LanceWildcat1

When the brain is deprived of either oxygen or blood, it shuts down rapidly.

Yes--but when the lungs are deprived of oxygen (choke), it takes a while for the brain to receive the effect of that loss (though it gets the effect of panicking quickly). When it's deprived of blood (starngle), it feels the effect of the loss of oxygen rapidly.

OP
S

sweeper

SolidTiger if you are referring to a ring fighter passing out from a strike than I tihnk you are incorrect, that's from your brain knocking against your skull

OP
S

SolidTiger

Originally posted by sweeper

SolidTiger if you are referring to a ring fighter passing out from a strike than I tihnk you are incorrect, that's from your brain knocking against your skull

How do your brain knock against your skull when you are being chokeout?

Thank You

SolidTiger

OP
S

sweeper

I said "if you are referring to a ring fighter passing out from a strike" ......

OP
S

SolidTiger

Oh, because I was talking about getting chokeout from lack of blood flow or air to the brain.

But from a strike you can be knockout with one punch.

Thank You

SolidTiger

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
very true, My Karate Dojo focuses on bunkai type thing which involves quite a few lock based techniques. This combined with 14 years of wrestling with my brother provides a little range and In a few tussles with mates I've secured a pin and forced submission. However I think later in life, when I leave home I'll explore up close arts. Judo I like the look of. It's important to be able to deal with it if your attacker prefers grappling to striking.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of them do, but not all of them. There are plenty of MMA forums out there which are big and well-behaved.

It varies. EVERY art has it's *******s, MMA styles are no different. The Gracies and Machados are gentlemen. Ken Shamrock seems like a nice guy, a family man.

Which instructors specifically do you think encourages a bad attitude in practitioners?

I think a lot of the problem people have with the attitudes of MMA people is that by nature they are competetive and want to pressure-test and compete. They see no problem with challenging or calling another style on it's practices and offer no respect which is not earned. In short, they are not PC.

But they do keep a lot of people honest....
ok first of all, if you on the street aply a choke or strangle you have initiated deadly force and may face attempted murder charges. ( no joke here folks ) and also many states and even some countrys I understand have laws against choking and strangles. next, many of the BJJ chokes and strangles are modified for fighter safety from very very deadly and fast techs. ( example the 'rear naked choke' modified from the 'Japanese Strangle ' that is used for thinks like sentry removal. it instead of the crook of the elbow over the "Adams apple" (cricoid cartilage ) the fore arm is run across that flat like a Judo scarf choke. it is then used to crush that and the other hand and a boot to the legs or hard jerk brake the neck atC1 or C2 or C3 resulting in almost instant DEATH! so be very very careful where and when out side a cage, ring or dojo where you attempt to apply a choke! remeber in most jurisdictions his friends may then knife shoot or other wise legally kill you.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
many older striking arts when taught properly have locks, brakes throws and such. I know Okinawan Karate does, and teaches them usually towards the upper kyu ranks and dan ranks.

Latest Discussions