Have You Reached Your Goals

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
As the end of the year draws near I was just wondering who has reached their martial arts goals for the year and what they were? Was also wondering if you have started to look to next years goals yet?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
My goal in the martial arts was to study in a martial art (Aikido). No, I did not acheive it, I opted out and postponed.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still live; so, no, I have not met my goals.

I've met a few short-term ones, though.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am always resetting my goals to make me push harder. This is so I can always push harder. I have went past the goals that were originally set, but the are now even more difficult to reach so I push on. My goals for nextyear are to keep climbing higher, striving harder.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I commend everyone who has a goal of working harder or achieving more and is succeeding. So, this question is a serious one, not a slight:

How do you measure your success?

In business, a mission statement like "We'll be the best..." or "We'll be better than last year..." is only as good as the true goal and how progress is measured.

So, for those who feel they've achieved this year's goal of "working my hardest" or "achieving more", was your success determined by hours spent or by certain advancements in technique or what?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
So, for those who feel they've achieved this year's goal of "working my hardest" or "achieving more", was your success determined by hours spent or by certain advancements in technique or what?

No, nothing as concrete as that. For me, personally, I have always had a basic tendency to slothfulness and coasting. So going out there, getting to class even when I didn't feel like it or challenging myself not to be the big fish in a little pond by going out to compete is what I meant by trying my hardest.

The success was determined by the fact that I never felt disappointed in myself, not hours or techniques. I could have looked at the fact that I was promoted in two of the arts I study or the fact that I acquired a bit of hardware at tournaments across Canada and the US, but those really weren't ever the goals. They are, and will be, for the coming year, far more personal and intangible that those things.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
They are, and will be, for the coming year, far more personal and intangible that those things.

Y'know, it often seems to me that part of our progress in The Art is that many of our goals become intangible.

If you speak to many white belts they say things like "I want to be a good fighter.", "How long to get to black belt?", or "Hey, can you break concrete?".

Conversely, almost all black belts seem to simply say something like, "I just love to train." or "It's a way of living. I couldn't imagine not doing it."

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't set any specific martial arts goals for me as such...but I did set some for training my son. We're not making as much time to train as I'd hoped because we get distracted by whole family things, but I feel good about it anyway.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Egg, is your goal to cease living? Should we call the crisis hotline?

lol...ultimately, whether one wants it or not, that's the final goal, isn't it?

The goals I do have, long-term, are set in such a way that they need to be strived for until I pass from this place.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
The goals I do have, long-term, are set in such a way that they need to be strived for until I pass from this place.

Well, keep us posted. I have you penciled in for an update in 2045.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I know Me so well..I don't set goals for myself. I enjoy each coup as it comes along, otherwise I would wallow in self-doubt if I didn't reach 'the goal'. To many setbacks in my reality, so I don't reach out for something in the future.. I do my utmost each moment and keep my sanity within reach ;)
But that's just me.. I'm tickled goals work for others :)

~Tess

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really never set goals at my age, so I just do the very best that I can.
With every thing in life one must give 110% each and everyday without that how can one exsist in society.
Terry

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was younger my goal was to be a black belt so I have accomplished that a few times. As I grew older my goal changed to learning as much as I could so I haven't accomplished that. My goal was also to produce students that had more knowledge than I had a certain grade levels I think I have successfully done that.
Goals keep changing as we get older .
Some days my goal is simply to get out of bed in the morning and not sleep half the day

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
As the end of the year draws near I was just wondering who has reached their martial arts goals for the year and what they were? Was also wondering if you have started to look to next years goals yet?

Rob

Actually no.. I wanted to have lost more weight by the new year.

For the next year, I want to have a near-olympic fitness level.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
chinto01 said:

Rob

There are a few goals that I have. One I have reached and I'm very happy about that. I'm working on the others.:)

Mike

M

meg383

I ,like most of you, don't really have a set goal for my training. I go to each class with the mind set of getting the most out of each one. I try to perfect the small things in any technique or drill I already know, to see the possibilites in new ones and to help my training partners. Each new year is filled with the desire to perfect and enhance the things I learned in the pervious year, looking forward to learning the things I don';t know as of yet and new friends to be made with each new students that join us.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of this year, yes, I have reached a life long goal. I have another that's close to accomplished and had set a time line goal on that. Time is starting to run closer and closer for running out. Time to set some new ones however.