If you want to become a US citizen, leave and then come back legally

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worked really well in this case. Well, if you don't mind your husband being murdered.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/09/us/juarez-dangerous-marriage/index.html
"I am living with my wife and son in perilous and very dangerous conditions in Juarez, Mexico. We live with fear of our lives on a daily basis," he wrote. "As U.S Citizens, my son and I are facing extreme danger everyday we wake up in one of the most violent cities in the world."

His plea went unanswered, and within six months, Reyes-Neal's fear proved prophetic. He was shot more than 80 times outside the family's home. Nava's uncle was also killed in the attack. The motive was unclear, although the family suspects robbery.

"The last thing I heard was him saying, 'I don't speak Spanish,' 'No hablo español,' and that's it. And then I just heard the shots, and then I waited for a little bit because I was scared to go down there. I just went down there with Anthony and my grandma, and they were right there on the floor, on the ground," Nava said.

Nava was covered in her husband's blood before she realized she was still holding their 2-year-old son. That night still haunts her.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a tragedy however if people didn't come here illegally, they wouldn't be shipped back and **** like this wouldn't happen.

Enter the right way from the start.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The violence that takes place in that area really is a shame. Anyways...as I've said before, I'm really not fond of people coming into the US illegally. We open our doors to everyone, so by all means, if you wanna come, then come...BUT, do it by the book please. Sadly, things took the turn that they did. Its a shame because had the process been started sooner...

And no, I'm not hinting that she got what she deserved. I'm simply stating that if you're going to come to the US, start the process asap. It'd be better than getting kicked out and then having to fight to get back.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She was 7 when she came to the US. I don't think she had a lot of choice in the matter.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One solution might be to open processing centers on the U.S. side of the border, like Ellis Island, to process the people who need to re-enter legally. There would be better crime control, over the lawlessness that seems to be a part of the mexican border area.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One solution might be to open processing centers on the U.S. side of the border, like Ellis Island, to process the people who need to re-enter legally. There would be better crime control, over the lawlessness that seems to be a part of the mexican border area.

Why not just let them stay where they are and process them there? Is there some value to be gained by being 'outside the country' so they can come back legally?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She was 7 when she came to the US. I don't think she had a lot of choice in the matter.

Then her parents are the ones ultimately at fault here for coming in illegally in the first place.

1 Why not just let them stay where they are and process them there?
2 Is there some value to be gained by being 'outside the country' so they can come back legally?

1- Works for me.
2- Not in my opinion.

She's here, she grew up here, she married an American. Let her stay while it's sorted out. To me that's a no brainer.

I'm all for stopping illegals from entering. The ones here who -want to be citizens- and -follow the law-, be reasonable with.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there some value to be gained by being 'outside the country' so they can come back legally?

Yeah, like legal temporary residents who must go home first to renew expiring visas (i.e. students), the "benefit" is that it's easier for the US to keep people out of the country if their paperwork fails. I see this all the time with foreign postdocs and students. They won't go home for many years due to fears that they won't be let back in - fears that are not unfounded.

As for "entering legally", there is essentially no way for poor Mexicans to enter the country legally as residents. They are not even eligible for the lottery because they are an "overrepresented" category. Something to keep in mind with this piece of advice - it's more or less impossible.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, here're 2 options

1) Her parents could've gone thru the proper steps. Hell, if they were here too, may as well stay with her and have a better life.

2) Her husband could've helped.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, here're 2 options

1) Her parents could've gone thru the proper steps. Hell, if they were here too, may as well stay with her and have a better life.

Generally speaking, we don't punish people for crimes their parents commit. If a parent takes their baby into a bank and robs it, we don't lock the kid up.

2) Her husband could've helped.

I'll just presume you didn't read the story.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can see that once the border is more secure that creating processing centers for the illegals already here is a viable option. I have never had a problem with people coming here, simply do it in a way that is orderly and legal. Once again, the government can't do anything simply or easily, and they have screwed it up. One of the reasons that I look forward to government managed healthcare...but that is for a different thread.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, we don't punish people for crimes their parents commit. If a parent takes their baby into a bank and robs it, we don't lock the kid up.

Umm.....what? Who the hell said anything about that? You said the kid came here when she was 7. Well, I'm looking at the story and it says her parents brought her here. Sooo....I was just saying, if you're going to bring your kid here, and if living conditions are that bad, IMO, its a no brainer that the parents would wanna stay too. Sooo...go thru the steps, and everyone becomes legal. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

I'll just presume you didn't read the story.

Ok....it says her parents brought her here at 7, she met her husband when they were HS sweethearts in CO. Got married at 18, and had a baby. The next step was getting legal. I stand corrected. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It sucks but if juarez is that bad I wouldn't live there. Mexico is a big country I was just there a few months ago and it seems nice where I was. According to his letter he feared for his life and his familys so move find a way to keep your family safe.

As for her story it sucks I think if you marry a citizen and have kids here you should be stay. I always thought that's how it worked anyway

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sucks but if juarez is that bad I wouldn't live there. Mexico is a big country I was just there a few months ago and it seems nice where I was. According to his letter he feared for his life and his familys so move find a way to keep your family safe.

As for her story it sucks I think if you marry a citizen and have kids here you should be stay. I always thought that's how it worked anyway

Ciudad Juarez is a WAR ZONE! Plain and simple. That area of Mexico is a direct route into the US and it's major highway systems branching out from Texas. The area is under HEAVY contention from warring drug cartels. If you research this, you will find how many LEO's are killed there each year. Human life means nothing to the cartels. As if to make it worse, there is evidence that the cartels have sold access to "La Lineas" (the lines) on getting into the US and are taking islamic terrorists across the border through there as well. Most of the rest of the country isn't real nice either unless you are in a tourist area. The mexican government does ALOT to keep the problems out of the news as far as kidnappings etc. from the resorts, but it is a big problem.

As to the second part, marrying a US citizen if you are here illegally does NOT make you a US citizen automatically. Through my job, I have had a lot of working experience with ICE. For awhile, in our area, you had a lot of unscrupulous lawyers arranging marriages for mexicans awaiting deportation to get them married to a US citizen and then putting a different name on the certificate to re-enter with. It was so bad that women would show up to our magistrate and not even know the name of the guy they were supposed to marry. This is why marriage doesn't stop the process or make it an automatic.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly off subject but relevant. I was watching a programme the other night, it was one of those American real life ones this time on the US Customs, missed a lot of it but did see a woman going through the citizen ceremony, what took my interest was that stood beside her also taking their American citizenship were two men in American military uniforms. Is is usual you take non citizens in the armed forces? We take Commonwealth citizens but outside the UK and the Commonwealth never.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ciudad Juarez is a WAR ZONE! Plain and simple. That area of Mexico is a direct route into the US and it's major highway systems branching out from Texas. The area is under HEAVY contention from warring drug cartels. If you research this, you will find how many LEO's are killed there each year. Human life means nothing to the cartels. As if to make it worse, there is evidence that the cartels have sold access to "La Lineas" (the lines) on getting into the US and are taking islamic terrorists across the border through there as well. Most of the rest of the country isn't real nice either unless you are in a tourist area. The mexican government does ALOT to keep the problems out of the news as far as kidnappings etc. from the resorts, but it is a big problem.

As to the second part, marrying a US citizen if you are here illegally does NOT make you a US citizen automatically. Through my job, I have had a lot of working experience with ICE. For awhile, in our area, you had a lot of unscrupulous lawyers arranging marriages for mexicans awaiting deportation to get them married to a US citizen and then putting a different name on the certificate to re-enter with. It was so bad that women would show up to our magistrate and not even know the name of the guy they were supposed to marry. This is why marriage doesn't stop the process or make it an automatic.

I think we are forgetting that even in 'tourist area' you can find the cartels unloading truckloads of dead bodies onto the highway in broad daylight.

However NOTHING is broadcasted outside of the country. The Statedepartment website ought to be lit up with warnings.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Slightly off subject but relevant. I was watching a programme the other night, it was one of those American real life ones this time on the US Customs, missed a lot of it but did see a woman going through the citizen ceremony, what took my interest was that stood beside her also taking their American citizenship were two men in American military uniforms. Is is usual you take non citizens in the armed forces? We take Commonwealth citizens but outside the UK and the Commonwealth never.

Found this:

In order to join the US Military, you must either be a US citizen, or you must be a legal permanent immigrant, physically living in the United States, with a green card. The US military cannot and will not assist with the immigration process. If you are not a US citizen, you must legally and permanently immigrate to the United States first, via the regular immigration procedures and quotas, establish a residence, and then (if you meet the other qualifying criteria), visit a military recruiter's office and apply for enlistment.

For enlistment purposes, citizens of the United States include citizens of: Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands,The Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, The Federated States of Micronesia, and The Republic of the Marshall Islands.
Not all legal immigrants may be eligible to enlist. Applicants who have been residents of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States require a waiver. See your local recruiter for the most current list of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States.
While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

For legal immigrants who do enlist, there are accelerated citizenship procedures for non-citizens on active duty. For details, see our article, Becoming a Citizen in the US Military.

and this

[SIZE=+1]Naturalization of members of the armed services[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Members of the U.S. armed forces may apply for naturalization under a streamlined process established by sections 328 and 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Under section 328, if the servicemember has served honorably for one or more years, is a lawful permanent resident, and is filing an application for naturalization while still in service or within six months of being discharged, he or she is eligible for U.S. citizenship. Under section 329, if the servicemember has served during an "authorized period of conflict", he or she is eligible to apply for naturalization if the servicemember has served honorably during the authorized period of conflict; after enlistment, was lawfully admitted as a permanent resident OR at the time of enlistment, re-enlistment or induction was physically present in the United States or a qualifying territory. Authorized conflicts include World War One, Sept. 1, 1939 to Dec. 31, 1946; June 25, 1950 to July 1, 1955; Feb. 28, 1961 to Oct. 5, 1978; and Sept. 11, 2001 and after. No fees are charged for these naturalization processes and the process is available overseas at U.S. embassies, consulates and at certain military installations. All naturalization applications (Form N-400, Form G-325A, and certified N-426) involving a member of the armed services in the United States should be filed with the Nebraska Service Center until further notice.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Special naturalization procedures apply to those who served on active duty on behalf of the U.S. armed forces during certain military hostilities defined by law. Surviving spouse of U.S. citizens who died during periods of honorable service on active duty are also eligible. Military applicants must also have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years and have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application, unless the applicant has filed an application while still in the service or within six (6) months of separation. In the latter case, the applicant is not required to meet these residence and physical presence requirements, and there is no filing fee.[/SIZE]

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found this:

and this

I knew lots of legal residents but non-residents when I was in the Corps. Filipinos were often in the Navy and the Marines. We also had some Cubans who came in the boat lift in my unit. They all wanted to be citizens, they served with honor. What is necessary is legal residence and swearing the Oath of Enlistment to the US Constitution.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah we had a former cuban army officer in my platoon in the marines. He and his brother built a boat out of coolers and other trash and floated to fla. He then enlisted. Good dude he was very funny when I could understand what he was saying. We had a bolivian guy too he didn't say much and kept to himself

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we are forgetting that even in 'tourist area' you can find the cartels unloading truckloads of dead bodies onto the highway in broad daylight.

However NOTHING is broadcasted outside of the country. The Statedepartment website ought to be lit up with warnings.

I understand that but the entire country is not a good crap hole. There are places safer then juarez. If your that frightened you don't just write letters and hope you act you save your family and you move. If you don't well you see what happens. You can't rely on anyone else to keep you safe.