If you could master any two MA what would it be?

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I choose to practice the martial art I would like to master - JKD Concepts (Inosanto). Its a Mixed martial arts and I like having various components (Wing Chun, Muay thai, FMA/Kali, Boxing, Silat, BJJ) within it.

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I choose to practice the martial art I would like to master - JKD Concepts (Inosanto). Its a Mixed martial arts and I like having various components (Wing Chun, Muay thai, FMA/Kali, Boxing, Silat, BJJ) within it.
What kinds? :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fun thread.

If I had to pick any two, I'd like to master the Grosse Messer as detailed by Johannes Leckuchner in his manuscript of 1483. That is the most sophisticated system of the single handed sword use I have ever seen, even more so that than the famous I.33 manual on sword & buckler. Simply fantastic stuff... unparalleled, really. After that, I'd like to master Catch Wrestling, because Catch is awesome.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If we are talking true mastery, not just a blackbelt(or even a high black belt given after years of comitment), I would choose Judo and and some kind of Kali/Eskrima. Judo has good enough groundfighting for self defense use against almost anyone(the probability of getting into a street groundfight with a BJJ blackbelt is pretty much non-existent, especially since I don't streetfight). It also has great standing grappling techniques, concepts and principles, which in my opinion is more relevant for self defence than something more focused on groundfighting. For those of you who instantly wants to shout the old mantra "most fights go to the ground!", my answer is that the primary reason that fights end up on the ground, is because of pretty much non-existing takedown defence on the part of one or both participants. And takedown defense is something that you get very, very good at when training judo.

Eskrima adds usefull weapon techniques than can easily be used with a variety of improvised weapons, which can be found almost anywhere if one cares to look. I have no plans of ever competing in MMA, and in a real self defense situation, I would always prefer to use a weapon of some kind instead of fighting unarmed, if I had the choice.

Last edited:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If we are talking true mastery, not just a blackbelt(or even a high black belt given after years of comitment), I would choose Judo and and some kind of Kali/Eskrima.

Good choices given your reason for training. I can't disagree. I do Judo among other things now, and did Arnis as a youngster. Judo is great, especially up here in Canada since you can count on an attacker wearing a jacket for a lot of the year. FMA is always a good choice for weapons training.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here.

As I understand it, the game is to choose any two martial arts that I would be granted instant 'mastery' of via genie wishes, right?

In that case, I would choose none.

It is the struggle to learn that makes it worth knowing. No struggle, no value. Empty mastery would not satisfy me.

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

As I understand it, the game is to choose any two martial arts that I would be granted instant 'mastery' of via genie wishes, right?

It is the struggle to learn that makes it worth knowing. No struggle, no value. Empty mastery would not satisfy me.
Interesting idea. I had not thought of that. Instantly achieving something takes away the effort, and the idea that you have actually achieved anything. Just like infinite life is the same as death. Thank you for helping open doors in my mind ☺

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

That was not my take on the question, I took it as any 2 styles you wanted to train to become good at.... admittedly I did initially I avoided the whole "Mastery" thing, and still do, because I frankly do not think it is possible.

But with that said I have changed my thinking since I last posted....Taijiquan is still one of them but I would change Baguazhang to Jeet Kune Do

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting idea. I had not thought of that. Instantly achieving something takes away the effort, and the idea that you have actually achieved anything. Just like infinite life is the same as death. Thank you for helping open doors in my mind ☺

This is a dumb example, but it's one that happened to me as a child and I remember it well. I wanted a bicycle. My parents encouraged me to mow lawns, deliver newspapers, and do odd jobs to save the money to buy one. I did. It took all summer, but I bought a brand new Schwinn. That Christmas, my sisters were each given a bicycle by my parents.

Their bicycles were rusting to pieces in the back yard a year later. I still had my bicycle and was riding it up until I got my driver's license and was going to high school.

You value the things you have something personal invested in. When things are given to you, you tend to value them less. Maybe not always true, but it was a pretty clear example to me.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was not my take on the question, I took it as any 2 styles you wanted to train to become good at.... admittedly I did initially I avoided the whole "Mastery" thing, and still do, because I frankly do not think it is possible.

Likewise, I think 'mastery' is not possible, but I wasn't going to quibble with that. However, I also realized some time ago that I don't train to become good at my chosen style of martial arts. I will hopefully improve, but that's not even high on the list of the reasons why I train now. It's incidental. Being on the path is far more important to me than getting any specific place.

Latest Discussions