Leave your fears behind
And try to take
The path less traveled by
That first step you take
Is the longest stride

If today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?

Against the grain
Should be a way of life
What's worth the prize
Is always worth the fight
Every second counts
'cause there's no second try,
So live like you'll
Never live it twice
Don't take the free ride
In your own life

And tomorrow was too late
Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce of memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you're dreamin' of
Swear up and down to God above
That you finally fall in love

If today was your last day...
Would you make your mark
By mending a broken heart?
You know it's never too late
To shoot for the stars,
Regardless of who you are
So do whatever it takes
'cause you can't rewind
A moment in this life
Let nothin' stand in your way
'cause the hands of time
Are never on your side

And tomorrow was too late,

Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce of memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you're dreamin' of
Swear up and down to God above
That you finally fall in love

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If today were my last day I don't think I would have changed a thing. My best friend in the world is visiting, and we went for a long walk on a beautiful evening for Shakespeare in the Park. Then topped it off with an ooey-gooey ice cream sundae for dinner over which we solved all the problems in the world. (One scoop cinnamon, one scoop mocha almond fudge if you're curious. :uhyeah: Extra helping of hot fudge and sprinkles.)

I know that wasn't the point of your post, and I apologize if I hijacked it. But I thought it was a worthwhile contribution.

I wonder how other people on MT would knowingly spend their last day?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would spend six hours driving up to Roanoke Virginia to see a woman that I'm currently in love with and spend my last hours with her. What better way is there to go?

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My last day, hmmm...

I would try to say my farewell's to friends & family and make sure that at least someone would remember me when I'm gone, not full time of course just maybe once or so in 50 some years is enough.

I would try to pass on anything I found worthwhile to other for the best benefit.

I would right my wrongs, and make sure there were no hard feelings before I'm gone between anyone and myself.

After all that, I would spend my last breath's looking at the World & all the people, seeing all the miracles & beauty. Watching the water & living beings & actually see the inner beauty for once.

And last I would go out looking at the sky one last time. I do that now most of the time, but would probably be the last thing I do as well.

Oh yea, and then I would check out a youtube vid of Sayako Shinashi one last time. (MMA Queen)

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that wasn't the point of your post

The point of my post was to get people to think about how valuable life is and we only have one shot at it. We're losing people we love and we don't know which day will be our last. Thank you for contributing...

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The point of my post was to get people to think about how valuable life is and we only have one shot at it. We're losing people we love and we don't know which day will be our last. Thank you for contributing...
Scary as it is, it's the truth. I just caught wind of a student I knew at the college I worked at had just passed away yesterday at the young age of 22. In an effort to confirm if this was true, I did some searching and a rather saddening page I found where her last few blog posts before her passing which might be the closest thing to any account to how she spent her last day. She sounded like she was trying to stay positive but what struck me was a line where she posted she was feeling worse and asked if anyone would like to bring her soup.

So with dozens of other thoughts running through my mind, I didn't expect to wonder how I would have spent my last day. However, I thought today might be an example of wat I could be alright with leaving behind. On any other day, if someone were to ask me how I would spend my last day, I might answer something nutty like "kicking ***". Instead, after I clocked out of work, I got a call from my niece, whom I hadn't seen in a very long time. Her decision to call me was sort of a last resort, as no one was available to pick her up nearby. My afternoon ended up with me playing a role I never expected, which was that of a concerned uncle trying to give her advice and earing her vent, while treating her to dinner.

I don't know if this is how I'd want to spend my last day, but I guess it would involve trying to do some good.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I though about this thread a lot this morning, and have concluded, that the last day should not be any different then any other day. Many of us go through life, me included, living for the moment, and putting ourselves first. Years back I decided, to live every day as if it was my last, because in some cases, we just don't know. By righting wrongs daily. in out life, it will make our last day so much easier. Don't ever let the sun go down while holding malice in your heart for anyone. I have been known to seek people out, and ask for forgiveness. In doing this, I can spend my last day in solitude with love one's.
icon7.gif

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Assuming I have the entire day...

Settle all my debts, make sure that I label all things belonging to other people so that my next of kin can return them to the owner.
Spend the rest of the day with my wife and kids, have diner together, have a romantic evening with my wife, open a bottle of rare malt whisky, talk some more with my wife and tell her again I love her before I go.

I try to begin and end every day without regrets, because you never know when it will be your last day, or that of your loved ones. A friend of mine drove to work one day, got a blinding headache, drove up to a gas station, passed out, and died in the ambulance. Internal bleeding in her brain. Imagine if the last things you said to your partner were part of a fight and you were both feeling bad...

You should not live every day as if it -will- be your last, but you should live as if it -might- be your last. Because that is the reality: every day might be your last one.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My previous boss passed in exactly that way, Bruno i.e. internal brain hemorrhage with no warning other than a vicious headache that had him slumped over his desk all afternoon.

It's events such as that that should keep us aware of the value of our lives and what we do with them.

Some very good posts indeed above, by the way, my companions.

Assuming that it was just me that was 'going' and not the whole world, I'd take a picinic (complete with by best chardonnay and sauvignon blanc) and my missus to sit on my favourite rocky outcropping overlooking a vale in my favourite woodland. That would be peace enough for me - hopefully it wouldn't rain.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything, i've always believed that today may very well be my last, and I try to make sure that I have no regrets. My family and friends know how I feel about them, I tend not to leave things unsaid, and I've provide for my family. Anything else is out of my hands.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m at the age now, early 40’s, where I hear through the grape vive, that so and so I worked with/went to school with have died. It seems every few months I hear about folks younger then me just dropping dead. The prospect can be quite frightening. I exercise a great deal, and though my eating habits are not the best, I hope to live a very long life.

I have a list of places in the world I want to travel to, and am hoping to see them all before I go. I tell my wife and children I love them everyday. I read everyday. It may be the artist in me, but I notice the stunning architecture of some buildings and the glorious colours that fill the world. The simplicity and grace of an old oak or maple tree still makes me smile.

I always said there are five things that make for a good day. Kinda like a check list.
1. A good night’s sleep. Mid afternoon naps are okay too.
2. A great meal. Sometimes a nice home cooked meal, roast turkey, gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce.
3. A good workout. A run, weights MA, whatever.
4. A good book or movie. Something to take you away, where the writing/acting is so good, its pulls you inside it and makes you forget about life for a while.
5. Sex. Makes you feel alive.

I don’t know what I would do different if today was my last day. I think maybe I’d just hop on a plane with my loved ones and fly to the parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland my family is from. Being in a place where you belong.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd contact my family and make them laugh. I'd write a nice little fake story about the world's history and leave instructions for a friend to get said story etched in metal, seal it, and bury it on some mountaintop with a vial full of my DNA (blood, hair, and my blood from a mosquito, preserved in amber a-la-Jurassic Park) along with my bio written in binary.

Yes. I created a Save Point. But if I can't be saved, then I'll at least offer archeologists something to argue about for years...

Then, I'd find a chance to roll with my gym buddies. Then I'd spend the rest of the day with my friends (old, new) and enjoy the rest of the day with good food, good music, and excellent drink... and even better stories.

Latest Discussions