Are we Family?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do we post? What are your reasons? Ill admit, at first it was fun, a good way to spend some in between time. Then it became, almost like, an obsession. Then I was spending more time here then with my family, then I realized, that we are like family. :) Some on the site, are like brothers or sisters, others, like distant cousins, but, bottom line is, we are all family. I mean, we shoot the baloney with each other, like we have known each other many years, and in some cases, we have, here on line. Some post pictures so we can match them with their screen name. Other, we have to surmise what they look like, some how, by their avatar. All in all though, I like this concept of interacting with people, family if you will. :) By the way, it won't hurt, for the lurkers to step up to the plate and at least introduce yourself. It would be like meeting that long lost relative, for the first time. I am looking for some thoughts.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Years ago i had the time to travel and meet many people and exchange ideas. Since I have opened my own school, have a family, and a full time job I can no longer travel as I used to but this is the next best thing. A chance to communicate with a wide variety of people with different backrounds and view points. Sure, i consider us all a type of family. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the family analogy works. Because like any extended family, there are the good eggs and the bad ones :) I think though, with family, we generally know where we stand? Here, maybe not always? I would be the mercurial family member that breezes in on some annual holiday dinner and entertains wonderfully though only for a very very short time before becoming tiresome and then being unceremoniously asked to leave :D Still, over the years I have got to apprehend that moment that I should just go get my coat :)

I am happy to be anybody's distant cousin though :)

I post here most times to take in different viewpoints, particularly in defensive situations. I find that even when I think I have something down pat in my head, or it seems to be common sense, posting here often unearths other aspects previously I had not considered. I appreciate the wisdom here. At the same time, I cannot abide those with the *need* to brag it.

And avatars could be a subject all to itself. Personally I do not think I am taken too seriously when I use my picture as my avatar. Just like real life, haha.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like others I see MT as an extended family, I've been here for a while and have had more fun and learned a lot about Martial Arts and about people in general. I enjoy it here because my brothers and sisters are often among some of the brightest people around. They can also be among the funniest as well.
We've shown that we care when one of us is down or having a bad day or experienced a tragedy or loss, we also sincerely celebrate MA or non-MA achievements, milestones and just overall good news no matter how big or small, we miss those who have been off line for a while and heartily welcome them back, we welcome new members and do our best to make them feel at home... and that really speaks volumes about the character of the members here.
We may lock horns once in a while but like a good family others step in and say hey hey hey... relax it's just a discussion.
I'm really honored to be here and honored to know many of you.
Long live Martial Talk!

(ok that's enough of the mutual admiration society lets get back to training and discussing)... :uhyeah:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Networking and learning.

I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about my own style, much less the martial arts (or anything else for that matter.)

Engaging in discussions here enables me to expand my knowledge and I've met some pretty cool folks through here and Kenpo Talk as well.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do we post? What are your reasons? Ill admit, at first it was fun, a good way to spend some in between time. Then it became, almost like, an obsession. Then I was spending more time here then with my family, then I realized, that we are like family. :) Some on the site, are like brothers or sisters, others, like distant cousins, but, bottom line is, we are all family. I mean, we shoot the baloney with each other, like we have known each other many years, and in some cases, we have, here on line. Some post pictures so we can match them with their screen name. Other, we have to surmise what they look like, some how, by their avatar. All in all though, I like this concept of interacting with people, family if you will. :) By the way, it won't hurt, for the lurkers to step up to the plate and at least introduce yourself. It would be like meeting that long lost relative, for the first time. I am looking for some thoughts.

So do you mind if I come over for dinner? Uncle seasoned.
By the way does anyone else have any good leftovers they would like to donate to the poor College student namely me??

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Btw, just kidding!

Actually I can really relate to the MT concept and how it unites a large amount of people regardless of race, distance, culture, Country or even M.A. style.

Its really a great innovation! and yea sometimes I don't agree with everyone but in the end I feel were all connected not just in the M.A.'s but also in the spirit of friendship.

Wish you all continued success!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I arrived here because I was looking for a forum where I could talk about the sword arts that wasn't one where you needed a sword to either cut through the bovine ordure or, even worse, the atmosphere.

It turns out that I still don't get to talk much about the sword arts but I stayed because I enjoyed the 'company' - there are people on here that I consider friends, those that I feel that, if I shipped up in America somewhere, I could knock on their door and not be turned away.

There are also people here who I like to hear argue - not necessarily just those I agree with either, I hasten to add. It activates the mind to have to reconsider why you think something when you hear what others have to say on the matter.

As to why I post at present, well, I admit it is normally now when someone has written something I either consider to be somewhat out-of-line but I don't want to play the Moderation Heavy or because there are things being written as fact when they are actually opinion (you can't allow such things to become Internet Facts (TM) unchallenged).

The days of excellent discourse on matters of martial arts seem to have waned this year and I have been close to leaving a few times because of the awful stench of politics running through the halls (mainly of the Study).

But ... I'm still here ...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So what do we do today Brain? :pinky1:

The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world.

pinkyAndTheBrain-1.gif

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like the family idea, but do wish I could get together with people face to face. While this is interesting and it's fun getting to know everyone, I personally miss the face to face interaction and much prefer that. Knowing people personally also helps solidify the online connection for me.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, some of us have been thought of as Mothers...
;)
Thanks, Big Don. I can always count on you for a :rofl:

Many Years ago i had the time to travel and meet many people and exchange ideas. Since I have opened my own school, have a family, and a full time job I can no longer travel as I used to but this is the next best thing. A chance to communicate with a wide variety of people with different backrounds and view points. Sure, i consider us all a type of family. :)
I feel the same way, it is a very good way to travel the world, from home.

I think though, with family, we generally know where we stand? Here, maybe not always?

I am happy to be anybody's distant cousin though :)

I post here most times to take in different viewpoints, particularly in defensive situations. I find that even when I think I have something down pat in my head, or it seems to be common sense, posting here often unearths other aspects previously I had not considered. I appreciate the wisdom here. At the same time, I cannot abide those with the *need* to brag it.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna
As always, Jenna, good points. Although, there are always those here that are more then willing to let us know where we stand. I also feel that the wisdom given is top notch.
icon7.gif

Like others I see MT as an extended family, I've been here for a while and have had more fun and learned a lot about Martial Arts and about people in general. I enjoy it here because my brothers and sisters are often among some of the brightest people around. They can also be among the funniest as well.
We've shown that we care when one of us is down or having a bad day or experienced a tragedy or loss, we also sincerely celebrate MA or non-MA achievements, milestones and just overall good news no matter how big or small, we miss those who have been off line for a while and heartily welcome them back, we welcome new members and do our best to make them feel at home... and that really speaks volumes about the character of the members here.
We may lock horns once in a while but like a good family others step in and say hey hey hey... relax it's just a discussion.
I'm really honored to be here and honored to know many of you.
Long live Martial Talk!

(ok that's enough of the mutual admiration society lets get back to training and discussing)... :uhyeah:
You hit on some of the finer points of why I like it here so much.
icon14.gif

Networking and learning.

I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about my own style, much less the martial arts (or anything else for that matter.)

Engaging in discussions here enables me to expand my knowledge and I've met some pretty cool folks through here and Kenpo Talk as well.
Something for everyone,

So do you mind if I come over for dinner? Uncle seasoned.
By the way does anyone else have any good leftovers they would like to donate to the poor College student namely me??
I'll put you on my dinner list, and let you know.

Btw, just kidding!

Actually I can really relate to the MT concept and how it unites a large amount of people regardless of race, distance, culture, Country or even M.A. style.

Its really a great innovation! and yea sometimes I don't agree with everyone but in the end I feel were all connected not just in the M.A.'s but also in the spirit of friendship.

Wish you all continued success!
It is mind blowing, indeed.

Actually :EG: posting is just all part of my evil plan for total world domination :D
We have had our eye on you for some time now.:lol:

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I arrived here because I was looking for a forum where I could talk about the sword arts that wasn't one where you needed a sword to either cut through the bovine ordure or, even worse, the atmosphere.

It turns out that I still don't get to talk much about the sword arts but I stayed because I enjoyed the 'company' - there are people on here that I consider friends, those that I feel that, if I shipped up in America somewhere, I could knock on their door and not be turned away.

There are also people here who I like to hear argue - not necessarily just those I agree with either, I hasten to add. It activates the mind to have to reconsider why you think something when you hear what others have to say on the matter.

As to why I post at present, well, I admit it is normally now when someone has written something I either consider to be somewhat out-of-line but I don't want to play the Moderation Heavy or because there are things being written as fact when they are actually opinion (you can't allow such things to become Internet Facts (TM) unchallenged).

The days of excellent discourse on matters of martial arts seem to have waned this year and I have been close to leaving a few times because of the awful stench of politics running through the halls (mainly of the Study).

But ... I'm still here ...
And we are all better for it, friend.

No, not family, extended network of people I trade ideas with yes.
Hang around, Omar, maybe we will grow on ya.

So what do we do today Brain? :pinky1:
Don't encourage him.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world.

pinkyAndTheBrain-1.gif
See what I'm telling you.

I like the family idea, but do wish I could get together with people face to face. While this is interesting and it's fun getting to know everyone, I personally miss the face to face interaction and much prefer that. Knowing people personally also helps solidify the online connection for me.
There is a meet and greet once a year, maybe a chance to do that.

Latest Discussions