Getting a chance to play

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I had to laugh when the little kid hit the ball and then ran after it instead of going to 1st. ROFL. Outstanding!! Programs like this are great!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember being told, 'No, you can't play. Girls don't play baseball.' :soapbox:

Nice story.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great story! Agreed programs that are geared towards kids with disablities and allowing them to feel like functioning members of society even if just for once are awesome! And should be commended, having worked with special needs kids I can see that its hard for them to always have labels attached to what they are. This never allows people to see who they are which is several times more important in all regards. They are fully capable and should never be looked down upon, sorry pet peave. :)

Now thats out of my system, great vid!

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My grandfather was a YMCA administrator, setting up national branches all over the world. He set up the branch in Cairo in the '60s and while he was there, he noticed that he never saw anyone with a disability out in public, ever. He asked around and found that they were deliberately kept out of the public arena.

So he did a uniquely American thing and set up a summer camp for kids. For most of them it was a lifetime first to socialize with anyone outside of their immediate family. The camp lasted for many years after he returned home to the States, and transformed a lot of lives.

That's just who he was.

Latest Discussions