If someone is not attacking you, why are you attacking him?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They need what all writers need and must have. Bum glue. It's the one key to writing.
Writers, yes. A guy with an idea that’s not very deep, well he probably needs more than just sitting in a chair.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sitting and actually writing will probably help him figure out it's not so deep.
It reminds me of an episode of Modern Family where Ed O’Neil’s charecter says he’s been meaning to write a novel since he was a kid, has all these ideas, etc. He sits down to write it, and he gets less than a full page. And he put all those ideas he’s had for years into it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It reminds me of an episode of Modern Family where Ed O’Neil’s charecter says he’s been meaning to write a novel since he was a kid, has all these ideas, etc. He sits down to write it, and he gets less than a full page. And he put all those ideas he’s had for years into it.
I don't remember that episode, and I watched it religiously until last year. Is it a newer one, or do I have to go back and binge the entire series all over?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't remember that episode, and I watched it religiously until last year. Is it a newer one, or do I have to go back and binge the entire series all over?
I just googled it. It’s “Career Day” season 4 ep. 21.

I used to watch it religiously, but stopped around season 5 or 6. No idea why I stopped; it’s a great show. I think I just got too busy or something. I hardly watch anything anymore. If it’s not on Netflix, it’s more or less nonexistent to me nowadays.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with @gpseymour
If their verbal or physical actions towards you or others ready to get violent, a preemptive attack can be useful

That's not an attack, that's self-defense. Common misperception. If you as a reasonable and prudent person believe you are in immanent danger, assault has already occurred, and you are legally permitted in many places to defend yourself with violence. You do not have to wait to be hit. "Who swung first" has no legal meaning, it's a myth.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not an attack, that's self-defense. Common misperception. If you as a reasonable and prudent person believe you are in immanent danger, assault has already occurred, and you are legally permitted in many places to defend yourself with violence. You do not have to wait to be hit. "Who swung first" has no legal meaning, it's a myth.
“Who swing first” is a rule of thumb for kids. Our parents, principals, etc. used it when we were kids. That’s about it. I haven’t seen a single written law with anything remotely resembling it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
“Who swing first” is a rule of thumb for kids. Our parents, principals, etc. used it when we were kids. That’s about it. I haven’t seen a single written law with anything remotely resembling it.

That is correct. I advocate that people get their learn on with regard to the self-defense laws where they live. Some drunk gets in my face and I legit think he's about to throw hands, I'm not waiting, and the law doesn't require me to. Still self-defense, not an attack. I would never use the term 'attack' with regard to my actions to law enforcement.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is correct. I advocate that people get their learn on with regard to the self-defense laws where they live. Some drunk gets in my face and I legit think he's about to throw hands, I'm not waiting, and the law doesn't require me to. Still self-defense, not an attack. I would never use the term 'attack' with regard to my actions to law enforcement.
I used to teach an intro to karate class at a college I worked at. It was a 1 credit PE elective.

After introducing myself and the course policies, the first thing I did was read NYS Self Defense Law. I printed it out and gave them copies to read along with me. My first question was “can someone read the part where it says ‘who swung first?’” They always looked for it :) I taught that class about 8 times; I never had anyone who ever read it before that day.

And I segued into what self defense actually means.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to teach an intro to karate class at a college I worked at. It was a 1 credit PE elective.

After introducing myself and the course policies, the first thing I did was read NYS Self Defense Law. I printed it out and gave them copies to read along with me. My first question was “can someone read the part where it says ‘who swung first?’” They always looked for it :) I taught that class about 8 times; I never had anyone who ever read it before that day.

And I segued into what self defense actually means.

That's outstanding. Many times have I heard the argument against karate's often-quoted motto of 'no first strike in karate' because people don't understand the point. No, it does not mean we have to wait patiently for the bad guy to punch us before we can defend ourselves. It means we only use karate for defense, and you don't have to be punched to have been attacked. Simple concept, apparently difficult to grasp for some.

The law perfectly understands the concept of the difference between an assault and a battery, hence the two words. If 'assault' means hitting, and 'battery' means hitting, then 'Assault and Battery' apparently means hitting and hitting. Assault is the attack upon you. If they actually lay hands on you, that's battery as well. If you're being assaulted, in most locales, you're legally allowed to commence the self-defensing.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, it does not mean we have to wait patiently for the bad guy to punch us before we can defend ourselves.
When someone challenges you, the moment that you accept his challenge, you can move in and attack him. Some people may say that you didn't give your opponent a chance to get ready. IMO, you should not wait for your opponent to get ready. Your opponent starts the challenge, you just finish it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's outstanding. Many times have I heard the argument against karate's often-quoted motto of 'no first strike in karate' because people don't understand the point. No, it does not mean we have to wait patiently for the bad guy to punch us before we can defend ourselves. It means we only use karate for defense, and you don't have to be punched to have been attacked. Simple concept, apparently difficult to grasp for some.

The law perfectly understands the concept of the difference between an assault and a battery, hence the two words. If 'assault' means hitting, and 'battery' means hitting, then 'Assault and Battery' apparently means hitting and hitting. Assault is the attack upon you. If they actually lay hands on you, that's battery as well. If you're being assaulted, in most locales, you're legally allowed to commence the self-defensing.
Yeah, I hate that misinterpretation too. That one and Lombardi’s “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing” line. Too many people take things too literally.

At least Funakoshi’s Dojo Kun is a transliteration, so the language barrier can be an excuse. Lonardi’s is in English, so the excuse is not reading the whole thing and actually using your brain.

“No first strike in karate” means don’t start the fight. It doesn’t mean you literally can’t hit first. Fights are typically started way before that first punch is thrown.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
“No first strike"
"No 1st strike" means don't give bad guy a chance the throw his 1st punch.

The logic is, if you are a

- good guy, you should not allow the bad guy to throw his 1st punch.
- bad guy, you should always throw your 1st punch.

So the conclusion is "You should always throw the 1st punch." Since throwing the 1st punch may give you some legal problem, you should tangle with your opponent and fall down with him instead.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So the conclusion is "You should always throw the 1st punch." Since throwing the 1st punch may give you some legal problem, you should tangle with your opponent and fall down with him instead.
Though I like the philosophy, that wasn't what Funakoshi meant.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Like Gerry said, I’m pretty sure that’s not how Funakoshi meant it. I don’t disagree with what you’re saying :) but that’s not what Funakoshi was saying.

See how I used it there?

Latest Discussions