If someone is not attacking you, why are you attacking him?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can see many reasons to attack first.

- Someone is attacking your wife.
- You are a cop and you are attacking a bank robbery?
- You are fighting a tournament.

Your thought?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see many reasons to attack first.

- Someone is attacking your wife.
- You are a cop and you are attacking a bank robbery?
- You are fighting a tournament.

Your thought?
And if you think they are an imminent threat - you're convinced they're about to do something violent.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
They have you cornered and are threatening you and moving towards you.

They have multiple friends who are threatening you.

They pull out a weapon.

They pull up a car along side you and try to convince you or a loved one to get in with them (the person in the car is someone you don't know. I'm not going to punch my boss for offering me a lift to work)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
They've just used the last of your moisturiser cream and you're like "BROOOO why did you do that" and he's like "broooo I didn't know it was yours..." and you're just sick of people using your crap without asking you so you just hit him.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You must first define "attack". Because once "attack" is defined then you can answer your question. For example, a guy is yelling at me and moves towards me from 15 feet away as he is yelling that he is going to kick my rear end. He then is in range and throws a punch at my head. When did the attack begin?

You can be "attacked" on all three levels in a confrontation. Physically, mentally and emotionally. Understanding all three levels also prevents all of them from turning into a physical situation.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if you think they are an imminent threat - you're convinced they're about to do something violent.
Yes, but that is the very vague line we have been discussing regarding the legalities of an attack. I am going to err on the side of safety.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that is the very vague line we have been discussing regarding the legalities of an attack. I am going to err on the side of safety.
What do you define as the safer option here? I deliberately used the term "convinced" here, because we all need different cues to convince us. I'm going to guess @jobo has a different trigger for this than I do. He's also probably less likely to get sucker-punched.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An all inclusive list of when to strike first. Hmmm.
*Sparring, drill practice, or mutual striking practice.
*Your bank robbery scenario is way to vague. There are very few ways an officer can "strike" first and even they are along the same lines as for anyone else.
*Myself or a loved one is threatened with bodily harm. I am always going to be on the side of protection for myself and family.
*Easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Seriously, this is a totally personal and subjective decision that is different for every person. It is sad just how society tries to drive our perception of right and wrong.