I wish I would have....

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always thought how goofy it was for people to put posts like this on here, but now that it's happened to me I sort of feel obligated.

My family and I were walking along a strip mall a couple hours ago when this teenager comes fishtailing in his Cobra Mustang. He could have easily lost total control and ran into us. Id like to think that my ninja-like/ cat-like reflexes would have moved us all to safety, but it was just too quick. He goes past us and I see the look of fear in my wifes face. I give her my 2 years olds hand (I was holding his hand when this happens) and I go running after him. Of course he was in a car and had no idea I was after him, and after a quarter mile or so he pulls into the gas station. By the time I catch up, some other guy is already yelling at him for his driving. So then I start yelling at him too. After a couple of minutes the other guy (on my side) tell him "You better leave or your gonna get hit". I say "I agree, pound sand". So junior hops into his Cobra and of course peels out... of course once he's safely out of the parking lot!!! When walking back to the family, 3 people stopped to asked me what happened, and tell me good job (for lack of better words) for going after him. Now, thinking about it, I wish I would have:

1; Kicked his ***. Of course I realize that this may mean jail time, the loss of my job, etc. But the truth of it is that Id probably be feeling better than I do right now as the streets would be safer.... and he deserved it. Im not a violent person, I dont remember the last real fight I was in. This definately brought it out though.

2; Called the cops. Probably the smarter option. I had every intention of it until the other guy told him to leave, and by then my adreneline was slowing down and my head was coming back, and I just went with it.

My fear is that he will kill someone tonight with his driving, and that I may have prevented it.

I know we may not all agree with each other, or see eye to eye on everything on this board, but please take my advice: If you are ever in this situation, do more than I did. The fear I have about what may happen due to my lack of (more) action is driving me nuts.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a good portion of us have all been in similar situations. There have been times when I've wanted to follow the guy and confront him, as you said in #1, but like you, I'm thinking about the after effects. As for #2, unless we're willing to file a formal complaint, the most that'll happen is the PD will simply broadcast the plate, desc. of the car, etc., to the officers on patrol, and if they happen to see it, they'll observe the driving.

In any case, I'm glad that your family and the people in the area were safe. :)

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad that you and your family are safe. If you had gotten physical with this jerk then you might be in jail (maybe for a long time or you might be dead) which would certainly not have helped your wife or kids. The best thing to prevent this person from hurting other people would be to have gotten the license plate. Called the PD and filed a complaint. That would have probably resulted in this person being pulled over and hopefully straightened out one way or another. I can certainly understand your frustration at the incident though. Take care.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's good that you called him on it. Most times people are too reluctant to complain, and it gives these kids confidence that they can do anything they want without censure. But I'm glad you didn't kick his ***. That's the fastest way to go from plaintiff to defendant, as I found out a few years ago. Felt like Michael Douglas in Falling Down: "I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?"

Best bet is to report him to the police. Give them the license plate info, location, and a description of his actions. They may not do anything about it, but if they received calls from the other witnesses, it might spur interest to look into it.

There was a comedian, I don't remember which one, who suggested that every driver should have a dart gun filled with darts with the word "Idiot" printed on them. The idea was that if somebody does something stupid on the road, you shoot the dart at the car. Collect enough "Idiot" darts, and the police can pull you over.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad your family is safe and as far as running after him I would not have, I would have taken the liscense plate number and phoned the police. Going after him after being so mad you can kill someone but what happens if he pulled a gun and started to shoot at people not just you at the gas station.
Believe me I was like you and just wanted to kick the living **** out of him but is it worth it in the long run.
Terry

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Going after him after being so mad you can kill someone but what happens if he pulled a gun and started to shoot at people not just you at the gas station.

I agree now, but at the time this wasn't a concern. One of the few times in my lif where tunnel vision was a factor. I've replay the scenario in my head a few times and yes, the potential for me getting stabbed or shot was definately there. Im really grateful that, while he was a punk, he was an unarmed punk.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the PD will simply broadcast the plate, desc. of the car, etc., to the officers on patrol, and if they happen to see it, they'll observe the driving.

In any case, I'm glad that your family and the people in the area were safe. :)

Mike

I love getting calls like that because usually leads to an arrest and the towing of a vehicle... An idiot like that with no reguard for the safety of others will usually get smart with the officer and winds up getting either cited or arresting..90% of the time they are driving under suspension which is and arrest and getting his prized possession towed..To see some of these smart alek tough guys become very humble because they don't want their car towed is funny...I too am glad you and yours are safe

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Going after him after being so mad you can kill someone but what happens if he pulled a gun and started to shoot at people not just you at the gas station.Terry

Ya definately now adays its not uncommon, it definately took some cahonies to run after the guy in a car. Just remember the car could of been used as a weapon too. Drunk or druged the guy could of been pycho.

Glad it went the way it did and your family is alright. Don't be so hard on yourself, life is too precious. Your kids need a father...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya definately now adays its not uncommon, it definately took some cahonies to run after the guy in a car. Just remember the car could of been used as a weapon too. Drunk or druged the guy could of been pycho.

Glad it went the way it did and your family is alright. Don't be so hard on yourself, life is too precious. Your kids need a father...

Yes...Amen..Good post...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love getting calls like that because usually leads to an arrest and the towing of a vehicle... An idiot like that with no reguard for the safety of others will usually get smart with the officer and winds up getting either cited or arresting..90% of the time they are driving under suspension which is and arrest and getting his prized possession towed..To see some of these smart alek tough guys become very humble because they don't want their car towed is funny...I too am glad you and yours are safe

I agree, its always nice to get clowns like that off the road! There have been a few times, where the caller will continue to follow the car, giving updates on the location, etc. Of course, I always encourage them to not put themselves at risk. Last thing I need, is for someone to drive 80mph, just to give the location. We've had a number of DUI arrests, thanks to the citizens.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, its always nice to get clowns like that off the road! There have been a few times, where the caller will continue to follow the car, giving updates on the location, etc. Of course, I always encourage them to not put themselves at risk. Last thing I need, is for someone to drive 80mph, just to give the location. We've had a number of DUI arrests, thanks to the citizens.

Mike

That's the other one I forgot..Now if they are drunk and happen to a weapon WOW that's just icing on the cake...

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score

This is encouraging, and I will keep it mind next time.

Thanks!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is encouraging, and I will keep it mind next time.

Thanks!

No problem...With the stiffer DUI laws and all the Road Rage incidents we need all the help from motorists that we can get to keep everyone safe...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And Drac we need good cops like you reminding us that its OK to drop a dime on those jerks out there. :asian:

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad your family is safe and as far as running after him I would not have, I would have taken the liscense plate number and phoned the police. Going after him after being so mad you can kill someone but what happens if he pulled a gun and started to shoot at people not just you at the gas station.
Believe me I was like you and just wanted to kick the living **** out of him but is it worth it in the long run.
Terry

Amen

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
And Drac we need good cops like you reminding us that its OK to drop a dime on those jerks out there. :asian:

I agree. I made a call a while back on some kids who were driving around with a slingshot. As a car turned left off this busy road, the kid in the back would hang out and fire one off. Our car was nearing to pass and they got all composed in their seats, though obviously trying to stifle laughter. They looked up and waved innocently at us. I waved back while talking to the dispatcher. Gave her the license, make, model, thorough descriptions of the passengers, including who had the slingshot. She seemed very pleased that I called. I almost got the impression that she was surprised that someone would phone it in. That was reassuring to me because I thought they would be annoyed that I was bothering them with something like that.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks Carol...Keeping the public safe is EVERYONES responsibility...Dropping a dime to report speeders, weaving, road rage just may save somebodys life...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought they would be annoyed that I was bothering them with something like that.

Annoying calls are the people who call to report that someone walked on their grass...

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Terry
When I first read this thread it reminded me about the Muay Thai Kickboxer from Fairtex in San Francisco... Can't remeber his name...

Anyway, I believe there was some sort of hit and run accident and the kickboxer fresh off his workout chased the guy on foot running up to the guys car the guy got scared pulled a gun and shot him. I'll try and find a link to this incident.

Anyway, the moral is, get the licence plate number, make a phone call, and be thankful that you and your family are safe.

Latest Discussions