i was attacked today and i couldnt do anything about it|!!!!!

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i know im not this hardcore fighter. but i still have trainig while the other guy doesnt. i can indeed break a rib or break a nose or jaw. 3.5 months is just speed , technique, and power. i have endurance from running and sports as well as some grappling techniques from videos. i practice grappling half as much as i do MT. so its not completely dependent on the trainig.

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone can break a rib, jaw, nose.

Its called a haymaker and the everyday average schmoe has it in his arsenal and isn't afraid to fling it around.

I think the reason kids get in fights when they are young is because they are kids.

Finding the mental aspects and reasoning behind not fighting isn't a big factor in the mind of the immature.

I'm not saying that you run around and do irresonsible thigns, but you must admit that you still are young and your judgement is not always there.

I agree with most which has been said, I know I'm just repeating, but everyone goes through the phaze of thinking they are getting good.

Lets face it, when you notice that your getting stronger and faster it can go to your head and make you think your better then you are. This can hamper you in a fight, you have to remember that you don't know what one person or the other person has done in his life.

For all you know that man could be a MAist and could be very well trained or just experienced at fighting because he likes to fight.

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

i know im not this hardcore fighter. but i still have trainig while the other guy doesnt. i can indeed break a rib or break a nose or jaw. 3.5 months is just speed , technique, and power. i have endurance from running and sports as well as some grappling techniques from videos. i practice grappling half as much as i do MT. so its not completely dependent on the trainig.

Just a thought but it seems to me you are worried because the only tools you have in your arsenal are those of Muay Thai - - kicks, punches, knees and elbows with a little upright grappling. It is very difficult to punch or kick someone softly and expect them to back off. You really have to whack them hard and let them know it's time to back off. If you increased your arsenal to include the many other techniques available outside of Muay Thai then it will be a lot easier to give a measured response to a given situation.

Cheers
Sammy

OP
J

J-kid

I have to wounder some times how badly i would hurt someone, Since I am in Judo/Jujutsu wrestling AJW American Jacket Wrestling and boxing right now. I have taken Mauy Thia and JKD plus Choung Nhu. So i am really good at fighting. I some times worry because my MOM has a bad temper and my dad is nice and mellow til some one really makes him mad. If i would really mess someone up. Like if i armbared them or punched and broke there jaw. Or picked them up and dumped then on the cement head first. Or a nice Mauy thia kick and it breaks there leg~!:eek:
but i realize if it ever gets to that point . They have it coming and i have to do it to protect my self and thats more inportian then them. :bazook: :bazook:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

You did exactly what you are supposed to do. You defended yourself from injury when he got angry and tried to hurt you and then you talked him down from having to hurt him. You did an extremely good job, I dont know why youre upset. If he attacked you after you tried to talk him down then you kick the crap out of him simple as that. But you already answered your question, martial arts training is about staying calm and keeping someone from hurting you which is exactly what you did, if it had gone further than of course you use your skills to fight.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Right on. But I'll add my 2cents...
a) I thought the purpose of Muy Thai WAS to hurt someone...
b) You did you exactly what you should have. You restrained yourself from doing unnecessary harm and you defended yourself against his kicks/knees and he could probably tell that you could smoke him so he finally backed off. You probably could have taken him out even with no hands had you felt the need to do so. Again, the stuff worked like it is supposed to
c) In Kenpo Mr. Parker put in the Equation Formula so that even though we mostly train Violent responses designed to end a confrontation definitively (whew! :shrug: ) we can Alter our targets and weapons, Adjust our force, Regulate our Speed, Rearange our sequences, Insert, Delete, Prefix and Suffix major and minor strikes so that we Always have the option to either slap someone silly, or break every bone in their body.

I personally think that is very cool. But I bet you could do the same. What if you had to retaliate and did so at only half power? What if you didn't go for vital targets like his knees, but kicked to the inside of his thigh? You could let him know that he was in for it, and maybe even disable him with little more than a bruise to show for it.

This may be something you can take comfort it, but again, your skill and confidence persuaded your attacker to back off and as Sun Tzu said "the superior warrior is the one who achieves victory without having to do battle" or something like that. I saw the quote around here on MT.

Good work. If you had posted that a guy ran to push you out of the way of a falling bookshelf and you folded him in half and ruptured his spleen, then you should worry. But I agree with Damian that it worked like it should.
:asian:

OP
A

Angus

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I have to wounder some times how badly i would hurt someone, Since I am in Judo/Jujutsu wrestling AJW American Jacket Wrestling and boxing right now. I have taken Mauy Thia and JKD plus Choung Nhu. So i am really good at fighting. I some times worry because my MOM has a bad temper and my dad is nice and mellow til some one really makes him mad. If i would really mess someone up. Like if i armbared them or punched and broke there jaw. Or picked them up and dumped then on the cement head first. Or a nice Mauy thia kick and it breaks there leg~!:eek:
but i realize if it ever gets to that point . They have it coming and i have to do it to protect my self and thats more inportian then them. :bazook: :bazook:

You know, I'm young, but even I can recognize a PERFECT example of teenage invincibility. Wonder all you want, but you aren't as much like superman as you think.

You first brought up boxing, Muay Thai, JKD/Choung Nhu less than a month ago. I won't judge your other grappling, but at least in those arts that's NOWHERE NEAR an amount of time to make you a good fighter. Just because you've taken a class doesn't mean you know it nor can employ it well. You're still relatively new to this, so don't get such a big ego because you think a real fight will go the way it does in class. It won't.

2 years of experience won't mean anything after 5, 10, or 20.

I don't mean to sound harsh, because again, I'm young too. However, I don't want you, or any fellow MAist, to get yourself into a situation where you'll get your clock cleaned because you think you can take anyone, anytime. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty. Just keep training hard and keep a level head. FWIW.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like cdhall said, you blocked his kicks. If you hadn't had that skill, then you'd have had to kick him, so a pat on the back is due for your blocking skills.

He jumped you and took one in the nuts. Serves him right. That didn't work so he moves to plan B: grab your hands and kick you. That doesn't work so he gets mad.

He failed. And looked like a fool.

You came out of it alright.

That's a long way to come in 3 1/2 months. You might want to practise moves out of hand-grabs though, you know: circle the arms and push away, especially as a gloved art isn't going to contain that sort of stuff (excuse me if I'm wrong).

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Angus I completely agree.

Judo-Kid you have some idea in your head that your training has mad you unstoppable to any force on the planet.

When infact it probably isn't comparable to most people on this forum.

Trust me your not going to be breaking anyone's leg with your Muay Thai kicks, especially after just only one.

Yes it would hurt, and probably hamper his walking, but really it would only do just that and not break his leg. Since that would take some serious force.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CDhall:

"I thought the purpose of Muay Thai WAS to hurt someone... "

No, not any more than any other martial art. Not trying to be argumentative but I have a sneaking suspicion you've got a bit of a skewed idea about what Muay Thai is. Muay Thai is a traditional martial art, it's practitioners bow to each other before every single drill and sparring session just like most martial arts, we show the same respect and reverence for our instructors as any other martial art... well minus the cults. I think you think it's kind of like boxing or American kick boxing that is based as a sport but it's not like that at all, it's a traditional martial art but if you want to take it to the ultimate level it's also the most brutal ring art in he world. But going in the ring is completely optional, most people take it as a martial art as seriously as most Karate practitioners and never fight in the ring.

Anyway just posting this because I want you to know a little more about Muay Thai, an art steeped in tradition and respect.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
K

kenposcum

First of all: :shrug: .:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: .Okay?
Whenever anyone tells me: "Yeah, I got into this fight, with this dude, and blah blah blah..." I always counter with: "Is anyone dead? Is anyone in the hospital?" and when they look at me uncomfortably, I say: "Then it wasn't a real fight."
If the time comes and you really need to use your art, hope that you've trained well...and if you have time to worry about hurting someone, you better not, because chances are it's not a real fight.

OP
S

sammy3170

CDhall:

No, not any more than any other martial art. Not trying to be argumentative but I have a sneaking suspicion you've got a bit of a skewed idea about what Muay Thai is. Muay Thai is a traditional martial art, it's practitioners bow to each other before every single drill and sparring session just like most martial arts, we show the same respect and reverence for our instructors as any other martial art... well minus the cults. I think you think it's kind of like boxing or American kick boxing that is based as a sport but it's not like that at all, it's a traditional martial art but if you want to take it to the ultimate level it's also the most brutal ring art in he world. But going in the ring is completely optional, most people take it as a martial art as seriously as most Karate practitioners and never fight in the ring.

Anyway just posting this because I want you to know a little more about Muay Thai, an art steeped in tradition and respect.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

It may be far more rooted in respect and tradition than kickboxing or boxing but Muay Thai is still a sport. It was conceived from another art to be used in competition. I'm not saying it isn't effective in the street or anything but it is competition based, there are rules when practicing it and when fighting which will become ingrained even when in a self defence situation whether you like it or not. So huge arguments don't erupt I am just saying that the kicking and elbowing etc will be there but other tactics outside of the rules won't come out all of a sudden.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Uhm ya Sammy... JUST LIKE TKD, KARATE, JUDO, JUJITSU. They all have a sporting aspect with rules for their sparring/competitions but they are all martial arts right? Steeped in respect and tradition pretty equally right?

Muay Thai is no more a sport than any of those other arts. Considering the amount of Judo and TKD and open karate tournaments on any given day I'm betting those 3 alone would qualify more as a sport than Muay Thai!

I'm kind of bewildered at your last statement, please explain how what you said can't be used when describing all martial arts that have any kind of competition. And somehow they arent called sports.

This has nothing to do with self defence aspects, just about you inferring it's more of a sport than other martial arts.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

CDhall:

...I think you think it's kind of like boxing or American kick boxing that is based as a sport...

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Right Damian,

That is what I meant. I thought it was like Boxing and the purpose was to flatten your opponent. That is what I was thinking. I didn't know there was a "non-ring" aspect to it.

And I didn't take you as being argumentative, thank you.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya the majority of the people that train in Muay Thai do it recreationally just like all the other martial arts clubs in the city. They take it for self defence and fitness just like they would TKD classes. Actually more people compete in TKD, Karate, etc than in Muay Thai percentage wise but that's probably because the competition is less intense. Out of all the students at my MT club only a hand full will fight in the ring, the rest are like "uh, no thanks!"

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

sammy3170

Uhm ya Sammy... JUST LIKE TKD, KARATE, JUDO, JUJITSU. They all have a sporting aspect with rules for their sparring/competitions but they are all martial arts right? Steeped in respect and tradition pretty equally right?

Muay Thai is no more a sport than any of those other arts. Considering the amount of Judo and TKD and open karate tournaments on any given day I'm betting those 3 alone would qualify more as a sport than Muay Thai!

I'm kind of bewildered at your last statement, please explain how what you said can't be used when describing all martial arts that have any kind of competition. And somehow they arent called sports.

This has nothing to do with self defence aspects, just about you inferring it's more of a sport than other martial arts.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

As far as sports go Muay Thai takes the cake as being the most street lethal. A good practitioner of Muay Thai can defend themselves no doubt, but it was never conceived as purely self defence. It was developed from Krabi Krabbong to be used in competitions between towns/villages etc. It is similar in its development to Judo coming from JuJutsu however there are some elements in Judo which don't translate to the street (I'm not saying Judo isn't effective, just elements of it are not. Karate and JuJutsu however were originally designed for self defence and were later adapted to competition (not necessarily good or bad). I believe TKD was later adapted to competition but I'm unsure of it's history.

Muay Thai is a very good form of self defence don't get me wrong, many fighters died in competition in its early years. Please check it out before you reply. My source for this info re MT is a Full Contact fighter/Muay Thai teacher from New Zealand named Terry Hill, he did a seminar at my school and went into the history. He has a very deep knowledge of the art.

Cheers
Sammy

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I think that any martial art has street applicablity.

I mean there are alot of things in alot of arts that can and can't be used in the street.

The high kicks to the head in Muay Thai sport I don't think would be effective in the street the front push kick and the sweep would be effective.

I don't know the strikes of Muay Thai besides elbows and knee's. So....there is an aspect in every MArt that can and can't be used in the street this is just my opinion though.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the technique that caused the most deaths in old style Muay Thai was the 'sok' or flying elbow strike. Am I right?

To think that a gloved ring-art allows elbow strikes! I'm not sure if MT has always been gloved though. Whatever it's pros and cons, MT is certainly not for the feint hearted.

There are plenty of non street practical techniques in Judo. Dropping to your knees to throw for instance. Ouch!

To repeat my sermon yet again, but in a different way:

It is much more important to be aware of the limitation of your own training than those of the school down the road. After all, you will be using your own art when you fight.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Please check it out before you reply."

Please check what out? I don't care about that stuff, I'm not talking about street defence at all! Ugh.... how do I yet again explain this?

In boxing and kickboxing there is no bowing, no mandatory respect, no spirituality, no paying homage to your instructor... nothing like that. Those are true sports. Muay Thai is the complete opposite of that.

How the topic of street worthiness came up is beyond me... WE ALL KNOW STREET WORTHINESS DOESNT MAKE SOMETHING A TRUE MARTIAL ART! haha

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

sammy3170

"Please check it out before you reply."

Please check what out? I don't care about that stuff, I'm not talking about street defence at all! Ugh.... how do I yet again explain this?

In boxing and kickboxing there is no bowing, no mandatory respect, no spirituality, no paying homage to your instructor... nothing like that. Those are true sports. Muay Thai is the complete opposite of that.

How the topic of street worthiness came up is beyond me... WE ALL KNOW STREET WORTHINESS DOESNT MAKE SOMETHING A TRUE MARTIAL ART! haha

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

It sounded earlier that you were suggesting Muay Thai was a martial art that was later adjusted to be able to be used in the competition arena which is incorrect as I stated in my earlier post. I mentioned it's street credibility because I assumed that by you comparing it to sport Karate etc which would take away that aspect. Just relax. If you look at words martial art for what they mean - art of war then Muay Thai wouldn't come under that banner however if you look at it from the respect and tradition point of view then it would.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sammy how do you know its street credibility?

Have you ever used it on the street? Are you a trained MT fighter?

Latest Discussions