i was attacked today and i couldnt do anything about it|!!!!!

M

muayThaiPerson

hey guys, i am so angry. today, me and a couple friends were just messing around. and i lifted up my knee because this guy came at me by surprise. i didnt know i hit him in his testicles but i accidentally did. he held my hands up against the wall and tried to hit me with his legs but i blocked. h edidnt get any hits off me and i kept telling him "dude, it was an accident...im sorry". but he kept it up. i couldve hurt him bad but i didnt. so he got off me and kept calling me to fight him. i told him to forget it and it was over. he kept calling me over and eventually it stopped.

so i wonder wats the point of learnign/traingn in Muay Thai if i cant use it without seriously hurting someone?!

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
you started the post by saying that you and your friends were "messing around". You didn't consider yourself to be in a self defense situation. You did the right thing by apologizing and attempting to deescalate the situation. I think you would have seen the point of your training had your "friend" truly been intent on attacking you instead of just trying to get you to fight or attack. You showed good self-control (except for the knee to the testicles!):cuss:

Happy Training!
Bill

OP
A

Abbax8

If the guy is truly a friend he will understand it was reflex and get over it. He'll also learn not to do it again. If I had a nickel for all the bumps my friend Bill and I gave each other- I'd retire, but that happens in randori. Messing around, maybe next time you'll be able to stop. Very hard to learn but possible.

Peace
Dennis

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How could you not of done anything about it?

Coming over the fear of hurting someone else I think is very hard.

If he would of attacked you, do you think you would of been coherent enough to defend yourself?

OP
A

Angus

Was "this guy" one of your friends? That isn't really clear to me. It sounds like he wasn't, and if that's the case, why did you knee him?! I don't know where the location of incident was, but it doesn't sound like you were sparring. The details are a little vague...do you think you could expand on them please?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You did exactly what you are supposed to do. You defended yourself from injury when he got angry and tried to hurt you and then you talked him down from having to hurt him. You did an extremely good job, I dont know why youre upset. If he attacked you after you tried to talk him down then you kick the crap out of him simple as that. But you already answered your question, martial arts training is about staying calm and keeping someone from hurting you which is exactly what you did, if it had gone further than of course you use your skills to fight.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

this guy isnt a close friend. he's like a talk to kind of friend. i didnt knee him in the testicles on purpose. i was staring out into nowhere and i saw him suddenly come at me. that time he was just playing. BUT...i jumped and lifted my knee and arms. which hit him accidentally, but i didnt know.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

You did exactly what you are supposed to do. You defended yourself from injury when he got angry and tried to hurt you and then you talked him down from having to hurt him. You did an extremely good job, I dont know why youre upset. If he attacked you after you tried to talk him down then you kick the crap out of him simple as that. But you already answered your question, martial arts training is about staying calm and keeping someone from hurting you which is exactly what you did, if it had gone further than of course you use your skills to fight.

im afraid of my fighting skills. i dont kno what i can do to someone. the people at my gym say i kick VERY hard and my instructors say im a good fighter. so thats why im afraid of my skills...id hate to hurt someone:(

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How long you been training? Do you fight in the ring up to full contact? How old are you? These questions will help me better understand where you are coming from.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MuayThai,

In my opinion (like others here), you did the right thing. You know you made a mistake and you talked him down. That makes for a true martial artist.

I also know how you feel about being affraid of your skills. I have kicked a 250bl guy acrossed the dojang with a side kick (I'm 140bl). I'm also female. I'm told from both my schools (I still train at my old school once in a while unofficially when I visit home) that I have a very powerful kick for a chic. A few people even told me that I have a lot of power for hand techs. I'm scared sh**less to actually hit someone (without gear). I "hold back" most of the time so I don't accidently "thump" someone.

Anyways, you are right for what you did. Good job.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

dude, theres this girl in my class...i feel her kicks through the pads. i dont even want to hold it for her anymore.

im 140 lbs and been traingin for 3.5 months

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
3.5 months? Then you probably aren't doing any hard sparring right? I think once you do you will lose your inhibitions about hitting people heh. It's just time and experience.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

Angus

Believe me, when he says you're a good fighter, he means for how long you've been training. Nobody is a killing machine after 3.5 months, so don't get too cocky. They aren't going full force or speed with you when sparring. Your still learning the basics at this point.

However, keep training hard, and avoiding fighting. Vocal de-escalation is a good thing. :)

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

hey guys, i am so angry. today, me and a couple friends were just messing around. and i lifted up my knee because this guy came at me by surprise. i didnt know i hit him in his testicles but i accidentally did. he held my hands up against the wall and tried to hit me with his legs but i blocked. h edidnt get any hits off me and i kept telling him "dude, it was an accident...im sorry". but he kept it up. i couldve hurt him bad but i didnt. so he got off me and kept calling me to fight him. i told him to forget it and it was over. he kept calling me over and eventually it stopped.

so i wonder wats the point of learnign/traingn in Muay Thai if i cant use it without seriously hurting someone?!
Come on, use your brain, if you can't figure this one out, you shouldn't be doing MA in the first place.

The reason you train is so you do not have to fight. Sounds like an old man adage but it is true, and using your skills is for LIFE-THREATENING situations.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nicely put!

I was thinking along the same line. A couple of kids "messing around" and you want to think in terms of a real fight? C'mon. :)

OP
H

Hansson

Maybe should look into the mental aspet of martial arts.

A great martial arts is not fighting with kids on schoolyards. :shrug:

OP
H

Humble artist

As there has been already quite a lot of discussion on your primary concern,I´m not saying anything on that but as to your question of what can I do without hurting them seriously would be to learn some non-lethal applications (probably outside muay thai) for purposes of controlling where a roundhouse kick to ribs may not always do.
:asian:

OP
F

fissure

3 1/2 months of training and 140lbs, huh. I'm gunna go out on a limb and guess your in your mid to late teens.I don't think you have to worry too much about crippling anyone at this point.
I know you think you are becoming very skilled and powerfull ( we've all been there before!), but the reality is that as you grow in MA and train with fighters from various schools, you will be able to gage your true levels much more accurately.
I'm not trying to bash you, but evry MAist, at one point or another, thinks that they are sronger/faster/ more skilled than most. This goes away as you get more experience.
I think I can say with confidence that Maurice Smith hits a little harder than you do at this point.I don't remember him ending anyone carrer in UFC.
Try to keep the "big fish in a little pond" thing in mind.:)

OP
A

Abbax8

MT, continue to train as hard as you can. Get stronger and faster. Also , here is the really hard thing to do. Practice putting your reflexes on hold when your in a situation that should not be threatening. Now before I get pounced on, let me explain. I did judo for years before I began to work with the developmentally disabled. My first assignment was on a behavior ward with adult males. I got attacked 10 to 20 times per shift. The first couple times I responded by reflex, lucky noone saw it, I would of lost my job. Nothing real serious, just a block, lock and sweep to the floor, didn't leave any marks either. But it couldn't go on. So I learned to respond differently in that situation. You can too. Good Luck!

Peace
Dennis

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone here but would like to add something.

Martial arts trains you to react to stimuli. Usually that stimuli is someone coming at you. If you react, it's because your body kicked in before your mind. You are starting to become a martial artist and that is scary. What you think you know at 3 1/2 months and what you will know after years and years are different but real training doesn't begin until you start to accept your role as a martial artist and try to learn what that means. It's not just being in a gym everyday and it's not learning how to harm someone.

You have started the work on the body it's time for some work on the mind. Go get some books. Look under the Library forum there are great suggestions on where to begin. If you can't find enough info there, just ask. We'll help.

Good luck.
:asian:

Latest Discussions