I think i am too old for taekowando.

iwishicould

White Belt
Reaction score
I am turning 29 this year. I always had this dream to learn taekowando. But never had a chance or enough courage to do that. When I was a kid I was fat so I always thought people gonna make fun of me.
Anyways recently I have found the taekowando federation in my town.
I went there twice to watch them practice. And realized im too old for this.
Can I really learn taekowando ?
how long does it take to complete the course ? ( I meant black belt)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are only roo old of you choose to be. Why not try? What do you have to lose?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And realized im too old for this. No, you're not. A lot of people begin their training much older than you. I was about your age when I seriously got back into martial arts, although I did it for a couple of years as a kid.

Can I really learn taekowando ? Unless you have disabilities, which many people even learn to work around, then there is no reason you can't.

how long does it take to complete the course ? ( I meant black belt) Black belt, in most systems (TKD included) isn't completing the course... it's really the beginning of your study. It depends on the dojang and how much time you put into it but it's usually in the 3-5 year range.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, welcome to Martial Talk. In regards to your question, what you are facing is your own defeatism. Only you can overcome it. I was 46 when I began studying Hapkido. I have tested to 2nd Dan, and studied to 3rd Dan. At 29 you are just a youngster.

If you are still overweight, that is something you will need to work on. A dojang is a good place to start (as well as a doctor). I can't promise other students won't laugh at you, or complain about you, but most will not in a good dojang. If you have a goal and are working towards it, and they can't accommodate to that, don't give them any more thought. You are actually showing more initiative than they are, and just need to keep it up.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't comment on TKD, but you are still young. I started in a "MMA style" system last year at age 49. We have a wide range of students in the adult class from 15-58. I had been thinking about starting earlier at age 45, but focused on getting in shape before hand - including weightlifting, yoga, and light jogging. These routines helped me considerably before starting. The biggest issue I face being older is when we have movements which take you down to the mat - but even there we have younger folks with back issues and the instructors offer various "move modifiers" to limit injuries or accommodate different students limitation. If I am hurting or injured or have issues doing something fully - I talk or send an email to my instructors before class and they are very accommodating to me. You can do it.

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was in my mid thirties and i started taking TKD and playing hockey. I'm 40 now and testing for my 1st dan next month. I have found there is a mathematical constant of the universe. If I as a 40 year old train like I'm 20 one day, I'll feel like I'm 60 the next. It all averages out.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I as a 40 year old train like I'm 20 one day, I'll feel like I'm 60 the next. It all averages out.

Oh ya - there are those days where I feel like I am 25 or 30 (I am awesome!) - and then those days when I feel like 60 (WTF am I doing !). :D

One additional thought - is there a reason TKD or this particular school? I would look around and try or watch other schools or systems and class make up.

Last edited:

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started TKD 2 years ago at 44, inflexible, stiff, old man hips and all. I will probably never be able to do the splits or kick as high as I want to but that does not keep me from enjoying what I do or improving. I competed in my first tournament last May.

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Your never to old to learn something new. I started training JKD when I was 35. It may be a struggle in the beginning, but truthfully who wants to do something that isn't some what a challenge. I say if its always been a dream of yours follow Nike's and "just do it ".

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the others - I started the martial arts at age 39.

That being said - there is no "complete the course" in any martial art. Black belt isn't the end of the journey. It's really the beginning.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
29? Too old?!?

Listen up, you young whippersnapper, you suckling babe, you snot-nosed kid, I don't want to hear any more of your bellyaching. You're in your athletic prime! Sign up for classes and start kicking.

Er ... or more diplomatically, what kuniggety said:)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was a kid I was fat so I always thought people gonna make fun of me.
I tell kids this all the time: They'll make fun of you no matter what. They just modify the mocking to fit the individual.

No one has asked you this: Why do you believe you're too old?

I dunno. Can you? Most people of average ability and competence can learn most physical and intellectual skills to average or better capability. This includes everything from Welding to Physics to Martial Arts. All it really takes is to be willing to put in the time and effort and to have competent instruction.

Who cares? Or rather... let me skip ahead for you. You eventually won't care. If you ever are awarded the coveted "black belt" you'll spend the first day feeling grateful that the stress of the testing and practicing is over, the next week feeling a sense of accomplishment, and then the next realizing that the piece of black cloth holding your jacket closed isn't magic and that you have no more ability as a newly minted black belt than you did as a senior brown belt. After some years, you'll have met a disheartening number of "black belts" who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag if they were backed up by the Marine Corps. You may even meet a few "black belts" under the age of 10. You'll also meet some people who can fight really WELL but are either completely un-ranked or have very low ranks. Then you'll realize that you don't give a crap about ranks but a person's skill is really freaking important to you.

Oh, and the answer is, "depending on you and any number of other variables, 3-7 years."

Check out post number 33 here: www.martialtalk.com/threads/the-newbie-guide-to-martial-arts-training-ver-2-6-by-jeff-pipkins.698/page-2

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know guys who started taking MA in their 50s. Now they're scary old men with "old man strength".

Get off your **** and start kicking!

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am turning 29 this year. I always had this dream to learn taekowando. But never had a chance or enough courage to do that. When I was a kid I was fat so I always thought people gonna make fun of me.

Okay - first, Tae Kwon Do :)

I start two months before turning 40 - 6 years and 3 months - you're NOT too old (our dojang's oldest student is 86)

My Instructor always says the best time to start training is the day you start training

Yes - you CAN learn Tae Kwon Do - the courage you need lives inside of you

The study of any Martial Art is not a 'course' - it's a journey - and it never ends :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am turning 29 this year.
The day when you have reached to your medicare age (65), you may find out that your

- jumping ability,
- kicking power,
- kicking flexibility,

will start to get worse. You may have hard time to perform your:

- flying side kick,
- jumping back hook kick,
- jumping back kick.

IMO, when you get older, it's easier to maintain your punching ability, throwing ability, ground game ability than to maintain your kicking ability.

But you will have another 36 years to worry about it.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's some more people who are way older than you. These people move better than 40 year olds that I know.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

29 is old??? Well crap, I guess I'm screwed.
The picture in my avatar was taken when I was 52 (I think).
One of our students started when she was in her mid-60's. She is 72 now.
My wife was over 50 when she started.

What makes you think 29 is too old?

How long it takes to get to 1st Dan varies widely from one school to another and from one person to another. In some schools, especially those that are heavily focused on the sport side of taekwondo, you can reach 1st Dan in a year or two. On the other hand, average time to 1st Dan in our school is more like 6-8 years.

But in no way does reaching 1st Dan mean you have completed anything.

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Started with my son when i was 38, 25 years after last training. I may never be as good as some people who trained from a younger age but im a better version of me than id be if I never started.

Latest Discussions