I think i am too old for taekowando.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Go for it! When I was a color belt, one of my fellow color belt students started training in Taekwondo after retiring. He was in his 60s. One of our students (my fiance and I own a school) started in her late 40s and she'll probably be testing for her first dan black belt next year. 29 is definitely not too old to start.

You might not end up being as flexible as students who started at age 10. And you are probably too old to become a international-level Taekwondo sparring champion competitor, which very few people would be able to do at any age. But that's okay. You can still get a lot of it, have a lot of fun, and get in good shape!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am turning 29 this year. I always had this dream to learn taekowando. But never had a chance or enough courage to do that. When I was a kid I was fat so I always thought people gonna make fun of me.
Anyways recently I have found the taekowando federation in my town.
I went there twice to watch them practice. And realized im too old for this.
Can I really learn taekowando ?
how long does it take to complete the course ? ( I meant black belt)
The moment you realize you are too old, you just got old. :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My parents are two of my students. I'm 27. You are not too old.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Take a look at this old fart, OP:

Chuck-Norris-CelebHealthy_com.jpg

SamuraiMaster

White Belt
Reaction score
I've trained with guys 65+, 29 is nothing lol, most people just maybe have passed 1 or 2 grades by that age.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
In a few years, you'll still be wanting to study taekwondo and you'll be older.

You have the opportunity now so take it

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, bro.

Yeah, twenty nine is a little too old to start, you've probably heard how tough the thirties are.

Golf maybe?

BamBamx8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am turning 29 this year. I always had this dream to learn taekowando. But never had a chance or enough courage to do that. When I was a kid I was fat so I always thought people gonna make fun of me.
I'm just started BJJ at 49.Keep at it,train hard and you will learn.I started Muay Thai at 44 and I considered myself every bit as fast as the younger guys.Everything starts in baby steps.

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're joking, right? There's a woman who started learning TKD in her 60's and just tested for her second or 3rd dan. She's now in her 70's. If you're familiar with teeter you should look them up on youtube. They profiled her because she has one of their machines and so do I. So please don't tell us you're too old. I have a friend in his 80's who started training in Okinawan Karate. No excuse.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The original post -and posters only post- being almost 2yr ago, I wonder did they decide to believe their own hype not to try at all despite the firm and sage advice? or are they so busy now almost 2yr into their MA practice that they have not time to be online talking talk about it? Hmmmm.. I wonder..

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

29 is still youngin bro of course you can do Taekwondo just put your heart into it I started 35 at american kenpo karate and its feels good dont pay attention to what people think of you if they make fun of you thats there problem not yours and you have to prove them wrong just by keep practicing and keep training and you will do great and it will take 4 to 5 years to be a black belt it depense on you if you train and practice hard

I was born with learning im a slow learning but when it comes to karate im focus also im a member of black belt club and im also in the swat team in my karate school and soon ill be assitant instructor im a 3rd degree brown belt soon to be 2nd degree brown in december and ive been doing it almost 4 years

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This thread is old but just in case I'll go ahead and post my reply.

At the taekwondo school I go to a good friend and his wife train and have recently earned their black belts; he is 74 and his wife is 71. Everyone can't do high kicks or jump high and do kicks but that's not what tkd is about. You develop yourself and gain knowledge to your own potential. The only opponent you HAVE to face is YOU. Don't compare yourself to others; just have fun and learn.

One of my best black belts started training at my school in her mid 50s. She's now in her late 70s and is 4th dan in aikido, 3rd in hapkido and 2nd in judo. She eventually moved away to be near her daughter and still teaches judo at a nearby dojo.

Latest Discussions