I love korean martial arts

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, even I am learning American Kempo I have to tell you my love for korean martial arts is strong as ever. I began in MA with TKD, would love to learn HKD but there is no HKD Dojang in my city, at least a good and respetable one.

American Kenpo is teaching me some nice moves and combos and it's a good MA but Traditional TKD is very complete too. I think TSD has to be awesome.

Talking about MA My lineaje and heritage is korean.

Manny

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, a big part of it recently is just familiarity. I am very familiar and comfortable with the Korean language and culture. There is also a lot of cross over between various KMA's, so it isn't too bad going between them. So far, I've trained in 3 styles of KMA and in each one I find something different.

From what I have experienced of the Japanese styles (not much), I prefer the Korean paradigm of movement a bit more, more cross over with the chinese influence than the Japanese movements, so more "soft" I would say.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can understand the preference for a certain language or terminology. I don't agree about the movement generalizations however. Movement in any martial art is as hard or soft, linear or circular as the teacher chooses to make it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the KMA too, but you can't go wrong as long as you get to hit something every class whether it be a target, shield, bag, or person. When we do kali, one of the cool things is banging sticks long and hard enough to smell them when they heat up. Of course, training for me is a form of catharsis, your motivation may vary....

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had some exposure to Karate Shotokan, some judo and some aikido and now I'am learning Kenpo (recentrly I goy my yellow belt), I love all the MA but there are some I prefer over others like TKD or Classic TKD I must say, not the Olimpic Style Kyorugi thing.

Manny

Latest Discussions