I don't like MMA

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even MMA and the UFC is the craze right now in the Martial Art Arena and lots of people following this Mixed martial Arts sport I really don't like it. The Sport I really like is Professional Full Contact Karate, even the Mua Thai or Kick Boxing don't like me.

What I like to see in a mach or ring is two guys using their feet and fists to try to knock out the other, maybe I am old fashion but don't like the extreme brutality of MMA.

Sadly to me Profesional Full Contact Karate is out and MMA is in so there is more fights on TV of MMA.

Manny

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even MMA and the UFC is the craze right now in the Martial Art Arena and lots of people following this Mixed martial Arts sport I really don't like it. The Sport I really like is Professional Full Contact Karate, even the Mua Thai or Kick Boxing don't like me.

What I like to see in a mach or ring is two guys using their feet and fists to try to knock out the other, maybe I am old fashion but don't like the extreme brutality of MMA.

Sadly to me Profesional Full Contact Karate is out and MMA is in so there is more fights on TV of MMA.

Manny

MMA is really no more brutal than some of the old school Prof. Full contact matches that you just spoke of, in addition to the old school Kyokushin fights, where no protection is worn.

Keep in mind, much of what you see today, is just the current flavor of the times. Think about it....in the 70's you had the full contact Karate type fights, in the 80s you had the Ninja craze, in the 90s you have people running out to be the next Royce Gracie. Its only a matter of time before something else comes along.

I'd also go so far as to say that much of what we see in the MMA today, has or should have opened the eyes of every martial artist out there. Yes, even the closed minded, blinder wearing traditionalists need to wake up, and see that there is sooo much that both TMAists and MMAists can benefit from each other, its not even funny.

I dont know how familiar you are with MMA or the UFC, but looking at some of the recent fights, many were won not by submission, but by KO. So yes, the feet and hand KOs do happen. The clinch or grappling range is, IMO, one of the most overlooked by many people, yet its an important one. People tend to think that all they need to do is be a strong puncher or kicker, and thats fine, but what happens when the person closes in? Yes, you'll have those that think it'll never happen, but for me, I'd rather be prepared and not need grappling skills, than to be unprepared and wish I had them.

Mike

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Likes: Going to the zoo with my kids, sushi, good beer and grilling any kind of protein that starts with "ste" and ends with "ak".

Dislikes: Threads like this. I think I'll start going into different style subforums and starting threads about how I don't like them. I'm not a fan of TKD. Maybe I can start here.

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likes: Going to the zoo with my kids, sushi, good beer and grilling any kind of protein that starts with "ste" and ends with "ak".

Dislikes: Threads like this. I think I'll start going into different style subforums and starting threads about how I don't like them. I'm not a fan of TKD. Maybe I can start here.

Amen!!! I'll also go a step further in saying that not only are there countless threads already on here on MMA, but 9 times out of 10, nothing, I repeat nothing productive comes from them.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually, some of the best in mma fighters today are pretty traditional, well rounded fighters: Machida, St. Pierre, even Silva.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you with my post but I thought this was an open forum where anyone can post with good manners what likes and dislikes.

I dislike MMA and UFC, FOR ME this is not a sport it's just a couple of guys trying to maim or kill the other, those elbows to the face/troact/neck area are so brutal.

I want tell you some months ago a pair of nephews were playing around to the UFC, the boys are 10 years old, in one moment they clinch and went to the floor and one of them start smashing the head of the other against the floor using his elbow. We had to separate the boys cause one was beating the hell to the other and that was just a kids game!!!!

Sorry againg to bother some folks here but I think I have the right to say waht I like and dislike.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can take it or leave it. I enjoy watching it and examining it on a technical level.

I do not like the increasing WWE trappings that I see in promotional material. My interest will die if they add storylines.

Daniel

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dislike MMA and UFC, FOR ME this is not a sport it's just a couple of guys trying to maim or kill the other, those elbows to the face/troact/neck area are so brutal.

Go back and actually watch some fights then come and tell us how many elbows to the face, throat, and neck you saw.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Could it be MMA doesn't like you as well? At any rate, to each his or her own. I think its time to post only positive threads on martial arts styles, any negative ones go immediately to the Bullshido forum.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
nah, its just as silly as this one
Well, maybe you're the one who's silly. Your response reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail: On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, maybe you're the one who's silly. Your response reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail: On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place

We're knights of the round table
We dance when e'er we're able
We do routines and parlour scenes
With footwork impecc-Able.

We dine well here in Camelot
We eat ham and jam and spam a lot

We're knights of the Round Table
Our shows are for-mid-able
Though many times we're given rhymes
That are quite unsing-able
We not so fat in Camelot
We sing from the diaphragm a lot

Oh we're tough and able
Quite indefatigable
Between our quests we sequin vests
And impersonate Clark Gable
It's a bit too loud in Camelot
I have to push the pram a lot.

And not one of us likes anything

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny,

I think you got off on the wrong foot because this is a TKD Forum. We all have our opinions... nothing wrong with sharing, but be ready for some heat when you say something others dont like.. Probably should have posted it in a general forum cause now you will have people saying.... I dont like TKD.

oh well. to each his own...

I dont like wannabees who teach ANY style and yet have no real training but pretend they are the $h!t. Lord knows, we have all seen them regardless of style.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh..... and I LOVE MMA. Watch every fight... but I'm a fight fan... boxing, MMA, anything that involves skill. You have to respect anyone who trains to compete. It takes alot of blood, sweat, and heart to step into any kind of competition. Much Respect to all who physically train to make themselves the best.... or atleast attempt to.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, some of the best in mma fighters today are pretty traditional, well rounded fighters: Machida, St. Pierre, even Silva.
Yeah these guys are fun to watch. I hope this is where MMA is heading, with more skilled players like these. I see to many simply strong tough types with no MA skills at all in the ring. The ones that you mentioned have a long TMA background in many MA's and thus can truly be called MMA fighters. I don't think you can go a gym called an MMA gym and be a true MMA fighter.

Spend 10 years in your base art then maybe another 3 years in other arts of choice each. Then use what you learned in each art is a MMA product. Not go into a gym and get some watered down techniques.

Look at Machida, Shotakan since age 2, his base art. Then Muay Tai for some time, and toss in the BJJ and you have a MMA fighter. He actually took the time to study each art at its pure form and then uses what works in each situation, showing good technique with each art used.

I really hope more true MMA fighters start competing. As Tez has shown me and a few others, the overseas MMA leagues look much different than what we see here in the U.S.

Silva fought in Japan and lost to a guy that he was destroying with his standup but the guy use a crazy sissor leg lock and made Silva tap out.

When you can switch between arts that you are proficent at is when you are a MMA fighter.

MMA as its own style really makes no sense to me.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It just occured to me. Did Shootfighting get the same kind of feelings when it came out in Japan?

And as a side note: I'm a green belt now! Whooohooo!

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah these guys are fun to watch. I hope this is where MMA is heading, with more skilled players like these. I see to many simply strong tough types with no MA skills at all in the ring.

The last thing we need is more Lesnar types who just sit on the guys and pound them. He does have a strong wrestling background, but he needs to get beaten. Kimbo is another example. I am glad Dana White is requiring him to fight through the Ultimate Fighter rather than giving him a free pass.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kimbo.... and Martial Artists in the same sentenance? only if... he proves me wrong and shows some skills on the show will i even consider him legit. otherwise he's just a street fighter. nothing wrong with that... but not a MA-ist.

Latest Discussions