My objection to MMA

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MJS,
you are right, cocky arrogant attitudes are everywhere these days, and I hate that. My biggest fear is that martial arts has lost it's "respect". I see it in TMA as well, but i see it more in MMA circles. Thats just my opinion, disagree if you like, dont take it personally.

Well, I'm not offended. But, back to the thread. I don't think that we'll change anyones views any time soon. Certain groups will always feel that X art sucks, and there won't be anything that anyone can say to change that view. Of course, it doesnt mean that everyone in said group feels that way, although you could say that one bad apple ruins the bunch.

But like I said, if someone wants to think certain things, thats fine with me. The most I can do is to attempt to show them differently, but hey, if it doesnt work, oh well.

In the end, I know how I train, I know how the folks that I associate with train, and thats all that matters to me. :)

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shotgun,
I wasnt referring to the youth of america as a whole, and I am sorry you got the impression. I was referring to the MMA "fanboys" and the like.

Actually, I know you were referring to the "fanboys", thats actually what I was disagreeing with. You're giving out about how some young men act, stating its the fault of MMA. Wouldn't it be more likely its due to the fact that they're actually young men?
Unless of course you're also willing to hold Karate itself responsible for incidents like the Dojo Wars in Chicago in 1970, or the various challenge matches and dojo storming that used to occur in Okinawa?

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shotgun, have you had a chance to watch Aisling Daly at Cage Rage?
A cracking fighter! the SBG girls are making a name for themselves!
Yes, a slight detour off subject but relevant all the same. the future of MMA is in the hands of people like this and I consider it a safe and respectable future!

Heh, Ais the Bash? Unfortunately I haven't gotten to watch her in action yet, Im hoping to at the Cage Rage Contenders show next month. She and John Kavanagh have definitely done alot to make MMA a respectable sport in Ireland. Actually all the organisers and promoters here have, any events Ive been to have been nothing if not good-natured. Only people Ive ever seen cause hassle at an event weren't actually involved with MMA in anyway, they were friends of a fighter and had way too much to drink that day. They got barred pretty fast ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, Ais the Bash? Unfortunately I haven't gotten to watch her in action yet, Im hoping to at the Cage Rage Contenders show next month. She and John Kavanagh have definitely done alot to make MMA a respectable sport in Ireland. Actually all the organisers and promoters here have, any events Ive been to have been nothing if not good-natured. Only people Ive ever seen cause hassle at an event weren't actually involved with MMA in anyway, they were friends of a fighter and had way too much to drink that day. They got barred pretty fast ;)

I have a lot of time for John Kavanagh, he brought Arnie Isaakson across to fight at one of our shows and we had a great weekend. Karl Tanswell came up as well, Rosi has fought for us as well, a couple of years back in Cardiff which is known for trouble on the streets. We had, as you've said no trouble though at any show.
The card looks good for CRC, wouldn't mind coming across for that one, as someone said Dublin is always good for a weekend away!
There's a pic of Ais the Bash on here along with the fightcard.

http://ringoftruth.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=292

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez, are any of your lot going down to the seni this year?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, are any of your lot going down to the seni this year?

My instructor is and I think a lot are entering the grappling comps.I went a couple of years ago when it was in Birmingham, had a briiliant time. Lots to see in both TMAs and MMAs.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is and I think a lot are entering the grappling comps.I went a couple of years ago when it was in Birmingham, had a briiliant time. Lots to see in both TMAs and MMAs.

Yeah i missed last year im down there this year, im proberly going to be hanging out in the 'fighters only' stall it would have been good to meet you.

yeah the seni is a good place for both tma's and MMA's to hang out with each other in peace...although im sure this very topic will come up somewhere.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the Fighters Only stall..... If I make it down I'll leave a message there!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interview with Sami Berik, another excellent ambassador for MMA. he talks about his background in CMA, why he fights and how he fights.
he's every bit as polite and pleasant to talk to in 'real life', and please note the part where he says he fights like a gentleman.

Last edited by a moderator: