Hurray!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quite simple really. Most of the non-drinkers probably had a lower IQ to start with! :)

First, the positive: drinking moderate amounts of alcohol on a regular basis has been shown to have various positive effects on your body. The one that pertains to this article’s topic is that it has been shown to help protect people from cognitive impairment as they age. According to a study done at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, in Italy, 29% of people 65 years or older who almost never drank alcohol throughout their life had mental impairment issues. On the flip-side of that, only about 19% of people 65 years or older who drank moderate amounts of alcohol regularly had any mental impairment. It was further discovered that, among the various groups where other problems, such as health problems or the like, might impair them mentally, the same trend appeared. In every group, those who drank moderately on a regular basis throughout their lives always had a diminished chance of becoming mentally impaired in their old age compared to those who didn’t drink at all or almost never drank.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I clearly have to start drinking more! The question is. If you've not been a moderate drinker, do you have to drink excessive amounts of alcohol to achieve an average drinking amount consistent with moderate drinking? Let's see; adult years (41) X 1 drink weekly (oops credit back 4 college years with significant consumption) so that's. Let's try again; 37years X1 drink weekly = 1924 drinks. Recommended dose is 2 drinks daily or 37 X 2 X 365 = 27,010 required drinks. 27,010 - 1924 = 25,086 lifetime drink deficit. So going forward.... lets be optimistic; 20 yr. life expectancy or 14,600 drinks required for moderate drinking + amortization of drinking deficit (25,086/7300 days = 3.43 deficit compensation drinks + 2 drinks (round up for good luck) = 6 drinks daily (Kricky! I'll turn into my dad!). And if I only live 10 yrs. that's 9 drinks daily... well, in for penny as they say...

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Well, you are medically qualified so I guess that counts as expert testimony and advice :D.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:chuckles: Well, you are medically qualified so I guess that counts as expert testimony and advice :D.

I'd take that with a grain of salt. At 7 to 9 drinks daily, I may be a touch impaired. Wait! Isn't that what all this was supposed to avoid?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What? None of you remember Cliff Clavin's Buffalo theory?
cliff-clavin-buffalo-beer-theory.jpg

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious, Mark-do you occasionally feel a bit of unexplained tightness at the back of your neck?

I do actually - tho' I have put it down to the fact that I am at a computer all day every day :eek:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles as my friends flay me with their wit: ... or at least I think that's how you spell it :lol: