How would you defend against a hook?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hooks vary with individuals and an individual can use many different kinds of hooks with varying trajectories and timing. Try not to depend on memorized techniques.
Also- ask your sifu? A good sifu is invaluable.

joy chaudhuri

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Go into his centre

The left hand is executing a biu sau, the right hand is da. So we call it biu da. And as is stated, you face the direction of the hook, walk forwards and execute the hand positions. One other thing, don't forget to have your hip line (power) lined up with the aggressors centerline as your da hits your opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beginner's Mind

White Belt
Reaction score
An inside taan sau (with a simultaneous punch and a body pivot) is not a bad option. A well-executed taan sau should be as fast to throw as a straight punch. It also gives you the chance for many excellent followups.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty much the same thing as what the clip shows, we call the position an outside fook sau, I learned that first with wtxs, during my brief trip out to Texas, soon as I got back and showed a lower level student the structure, Sifu taught us pretty much the same thing, just incorporated our footwork with it. Good stuff!

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's how I do it, from TWC. Watch both vid:

Welcome my friend, had enjoy your post(s) on the other board, coming on the this forum is like taking an well deserved vacation ... hope you well stay for awhile and share your WC views.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sifu Palmer

White Belt
Reaction score
Right hook=left Tan, left hook=right Tan....Wing Chun is all center line and direct path, a hook is a circular strike. Fastest way through a circle is a straight so unless you are really slow in reacting tan sau will do just fine.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is how we handle a large looping hook - Video

Something missing from this, the principle of lin 'siu dai dar' or simultaneous parrying and attacking. Where is the da or strike? The strike helps to slow down any continued attack or stop the attack completely. In the defense shown, there is nothing preventing the attacker from throwing another hooking punch with his other hand immediately. Without the strike to the attacking person's center, you're doing no better than block then punch like some of the other arts. You are just playing chase the hands, something you will lose at very quickly. Not good.

And if you say, that's what the hit (pak) to the shoulder was suppoed to be doing, but we are just being safe. Then show it, not assume it is understood the pak is to the throat or chin. People get the wrong idea seeing this, especially beginners, and think thathitting the shoulder with the pak sau is the technique to use.

Also, tan sau is not the best defense for a high hook. The punch can loop around the tan sau, moving the tan sau and allowing the punch to penetrate your defenses, thus making it ineffective (tan sau going forward and the hook hitting it from the side, the old derail a train theory. I'm sure everyone remembers hearing that).

The best defense to use again a hook is a biu da (hook to the face) or gan da (hook to the body).

CRCAVirginia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where did you see a Tan Da? As I stated this is against a large looping hook. It is a simultaneous block and attack and I showed how to stop the second hook or immediately go into an elbow strike. Not all Wing Chun techniques are simultaneous blocks and attacks.

It is obvious that your wing chun is not MY Wing Chun. No problem with that. When I use our method to stop hooks the opponent will not want to throw another one.

Who cares what beginners think? They should be learning from their teachers not Youtube...

I showed how WE handle hooks.

Please show your video of the BEST defense for a hook (your words)...

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Something missing from this, the principle of lin 'siu dai dar' or simultaneous parrying and attacking. Where is the da or strike? The strike helps to slow down any continued attack or stop the attack completely. In the defense shown, there is nothing preventing the attacker from throwing another hooking punch with his other hand immediately. Without the strike to the attacking person's center, you're doing no better than block then punch like some of the other arts. You are just playing chase the hands, something you will lose at very quickly. Not good.

And if you say, that's what the hit (pak) to the shoulder was suppoed to be doing, but we are just being safe. Then show it, not assume it is understood the pak is to the throat or chin. People get the wrong idea seeing this, especially beginners, and think thathitting the shoulder with the pak sau is the technique to use.

As the saying goes ... you fight the way you had trained.

WC concept is to end the confrontation quickly and in as few moves as possible ... personally I would had cycled the parrying hand immediately into an hand/elbow strike before the second round house has the chance to come around, while cycle the first striking hand to handle the second round house when it does.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where did you see a Tan Da?

The tan da remark was for someone's previous post, not your video. Sorry.

As I stated this is against a large looping hook. It is a simultaneous block and attack and I showed how to stop the second hook or immediately go into an elbow strike.

If you use a wu pak, you're putting 2 hands (yours) on one (of theirs) leaving the other hand unattended. So, you're blocking their hand (punch) and attacking the shoulder from the same side punch? What stops them from throwing a punch from the other hand (like most people) immediately as you wu pak, which doesn't give you a chance to elbow immediately? Nothing! Remember, an attacker can move just as fast or as much as you do. So you're going to let them have two chances to hit you instead of one? Especially since you could have ended the attack as the first hook was thrown by hitting them on the chin or throat.

I would much rather hit them on the chin or throat first, instead of the shoulder, as I parry their hook (with biu sau), giving an element of surprise by stunning or hurting them and then following up with an elbow or battle punch (or something) because I had the time from stunning them with a punch too, rather than give them a chance to throw another punch that just may land.

Not all Wing Chun techniques are simultaneous blocks and attacks.

Yes, you're right, they aren't. But you should always think that way so as to be efficient and having a better chance of surviving an attack. Also, with that in mind, you don't get away from the core principles of what make Wing Chun such an efficient art.

It is obvious that your wing chun is not MY Wing Chun. No problem with that. When I use our method to stop hooks the opponent will not want to throw another one.

I'm glad it works for you. But if you can hit them in the shoulder, why can't you hit them on the chin? It's just as easy. I'm just giving you something that should work better for you. I would much rather hit an attacker in the throat or chin and knock them for a loop than hit them in the shoulder. Try it, I bet you'll like that.

Who cares what beginners think? They should be learning from their teachers not Youtube....

What? Who cares what beginners think? Are you kidding me? Beginners are very impressionable (because they look at a martial arts teacher as a Master who has all the answers) and once something is learned incorrectly, takes a long time to correct. Beginners are our future. Without them Wing Chun (or any art) may just go the way of the dinasaur. I don't think they should be watching Youtube videos to learn Wing Chun either, but hey, you or I can't stop them from doing it. And what a lot of people see on Youtube, they believe. And they mis-interpret what they see. That is why you will NEVER see a video posted online from me. If you want to see our gung fu and learn it, you have to come to us in person to see it and be taught the way we do it. I have no use for a medium that has no control over what is put up or shown. Anyone can put anything up and call it whatever they want. To me that is just irresponsible.

Wouldn't it be much better for someone to come to you and learn what you have to offer rather than try to copy it and most likely do it incorrectly from watching a Youtube clip?

As martial arts instructors, we have a responsibility that if we pass on our art, we teach it to others correctly so they can defend themselves and also with the ability to use it the way it was intended. Martial arts is about helping people, helping ourselves, and kicking butt if forced to along the way. You should be concerned about what beginners think.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be much better for someone to come to you and learn what you have to offer rather than try to copy it and most likely do it incorrectly from watching a Youtube clip?

As martial arts instructors, we have a responsibility that if we pass on our art, we teach it to others correctly so they can defend themselves and also with the ability to use it the way it was intended. Martial arts is about helping people, helping ourselves, and kicking butt if forced to along the way. You should be concerned about what beginners think.

Braaavo ... and I DAAAAAAAARE any one to dispute this concept.

Now stop that Zepeda, you are making way too much sense ...:p

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . . you are making way too much sense ...:p

It must be the years and years of my Sifu saying 'it must be logical, economical, practical, and efficient', or maybe just doing it wrong and getting hit way too many times did the trick.

Thanks wtxs.

CRCAVirginia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
People get the wrong idea seeing this, especially beginners, and think thathitting the shoulder with the pak sau is the technique to use.

You took it out of context, I was referring to the above statement. The video was not meant as a teaching tool, I was demonstrating how WE defend the hook.

Latest Discussions