How would you defend against a hook?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a who;e arsenal of possible motions for dealing with hooks--- but the key is proper timing. Lots of good chi sao can sharpen your timing.
joy chaudhuri

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In an ideal situation, a good smack to the bicep is the best course of action against a hook. Simple physics really, the further away from the pivot (the shoulder) the less turning effect. Also, it hurts like a ***** and it lets you get inside setting up a chain punch beatdown.

Food for though.

Attacking the joints, muscle and ligaments, fictional or not, in Ip Man 2 ... towards the later part of the fight, he was getting hammered by the muscle bounded boxer, he was told to attack the biceps when he gets inside. When the round ended, the boxer was shown shaking his arms in pain and an disbelieve look on his face.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The dai sao looks like what we call biu sao. For hooking punches to the head and neck, we train to use a biu da (biu sao in conjunction with a punch). And hooking punches to the ribs and solorplexus/stomach, we train using a gan da (gan sao in conjunction with a punch).

Im RIIIIIIGHT with you! :ultracool:ultracool

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The dai sao looks like what we call biu sao. For hooking punches to the head and neck, we train to use a biu da (biu sao in conjunction with a punch). And hooking punches to the ribs and solorplexus/stomach, we train using a gan da (gan sao in conjunction with a punch).

For the gan da, you find the proper execution in the first set of Muk Yan Jong form, 6th motion, right after you step to the left side of the jong and do the tan sao wan jern. It is done when sliding the right leg out and doing the gan sao to the lower jong arm and jop/tan sao to the upper jong left arm. A punch replaces the jop/tan sao hand position in the dummy form when applying this motion against a hook thrown to the ribs or stomach.

It does look a little bit like a Biu sau , but the energy is different .
Whereas a Biu sau is going forward , a Dai sau goes straight up.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I've heard people say to tan the inside of the arm but in my experience you'd have to be MUCH faster than the opponent.

So , not that there is a RIGHT answer, I'm curious how you would "ideally" deal with a hook style punch.

Regularly use tan or high fook sau with a little turning, solid.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
we don't have "dai sau".

Well then your f***ed

;)

Seriously though, Dai is SO important, its fast and easy, its circular movement means you can deflect really hard punches (trust me weve gone to some extreme measures to test this and it works) and you can simultaneously punch with the other hand.

In fact if you get good you can just make the Dai a punch in itself, so essentially your punching them right where they were going to punch you, whilst stopping their punch, and still leaving your other hand free. (Now if you were to punch with that free hand, and maybe a little mid heel kick...why youd be stopping your opponents punch, punching them twice and kicking them all in one fairly easy movement ;) )

Dai Sau is imperative if fighting a modern western boxer or MMA fighter. Ive found a lot of traditional Chinese masters had very little exposure (especially physically) to aggressive striking arts from Europe etc, and as such might be a little bit guilty of underestimating how tricky it can be to deal with them. Seeing as Chun was supposed to be an "art to defeat all arts" I think it needs to grow with the times. Dai Sau is a good example of just that.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It does look a little bit like a Biu sau , but the energy is different .
Whereas a Biu sau is going forward , a Dai sau goes straight up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
An opinion:Biu in the biu gee form actually comes up from underneatha motion- not just forward. I can show stoppinga hook with the right biu motion, with a kau sao motion or a reverse jut sao motion.You can also step out of the way of the hook or step in past the hook's power point. It's nota matter of technique but of timing which can include appropriate and subtle footwork.I have my better students practice against hooks often.A good hook can be a dangerous thing.I don't underestimate hooks.

Joy Chaudhuri

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
An opinion:Biu in the biu gee form actually comes up from underneatha motion- not just forward. I can show stoppinga hook with the right biu motion, with a kau sao motion or a reverse jut sao motion.You can also step out of the way of the hook or step in past the hook's power point. It's nota matter of technique but of timing which can include appropriate and subtle footwork.I have my better students practice against hooks often.A good hook can be a dangerous thing.I don't underestimate hooks.

Joy Chaudhuri

Yeah it does but I didn't want to get too pedantic about it .
It comes from underneath and sort of goes forward and up bouncing the incoming strike out of the way.

In my opinion Biu sau is better suited to a more direct type of strike coming in off the center line , not a very tight hook .

I believe a Dai sau is better suited against a tight hook because it is reflecting the position of the opponents elbow and presents a very powerful structure to force coming in from the side.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
An opinion:Biu in the biu gee form actually comes up from underneatha motion- not just forward. I can show stoppinga hook with the right biu motion, with a kau sao motion or a reverse jut sao motion. . . . . It's nota matter of technique but of timing which can include appropriate and subtle footwork.Joy Chaudhuri

Yes, a biu jee motion does, but a biu sao can start from the hand being anywhere, just like the Wing Chun punch. To be used against a hook, there is always a small twisting motion of the hand and wrist, going forward, along with a turning or shifting (torqueing) of the hips or body. It is all about the timing.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, a biu jee motion does, but a biu sao can start from the hand being anywhere, just like the Wing Chun punch. To be used against a hook, there is always a small twisting motion of the hand and wrist, going forward, along with a turning or shifting (torqueing) of the hips or body. It is all about the timing.
----------------------------------------------------
True

joy chaudhuri

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
in my opinion biu sau is better suited to a more direct type of strike coming in off the center line , not a very tight hook .

I believe a dai sau is better suited against a tight hook because it is reflecting the position of the opponents elbow and presents a very powerful structure to force coming in from the side.

+1

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my lineage we would do somewhat of a chum kiu step while also executing an outside fook sau, which is pretty much like a tan sau except your palm is facing downwards, as we step we will use our momentum and adduction in conjection with turning the outside fook sau into a semi lap sau to full fledged lap sau depending on the energy we receive.

Very strong structure

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
is Wu-sau ok for hooks.?
it gives painful for the forearm of the enemies.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
is Wu-sau ok for hooks.?
it gives painful for the forearm of the enemies.

It would rather depend on what type of an arc the punch is coming in at , and how impeccable your timing is in pivoting to get your body mass behind your deflection.

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It would rather depend on what type of an arc the punch is coming in at , and how impeccable your timing is in pivoting to get your body mass behind your deflection.

Did you mean, if the angle of arc (of the punch) is too high, in other words, the bending is high, it is a little bit hard too use wu-sau, is it right?

Maybe it depends on timing, but I seem to look at Wu-sau is more effective to use against hooks than Tan sau.Tan sau, you must be lightning fast and strong to push hooks punch. Am I right?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you mean, if the angle of arc (of the punch) is too high, in other words, the bending is high, it is a little bit hard too use wu-sau, is it right?

Maybe it depends on timing, but I seem to look at Wu-sau is more effective to use against hooks than Tan sau.Tan sau, you must be lightning fast and strong to push hooks punch. Am I right?

Yes I mean the angle of the arm , if the hook is a very tight hook , then there is a chance that the hook maybe able to sneek around your Wu- Sau , but this is assuming that you have caught it very late and haven't been able to get your own counter punch out.

As for the Tan sau I wouldn't advocate it except maybe in the case of a wildly telegraphed over committed haymaker.
From the pivoted position if your counter strike hasn't had the desired effect you are very vulnerable to a strike from his other hand.

I prefer to move straight in and keep square on against a front on attacker so that I have equal use of both arms and legs and don't have to open the defensive area up as much.

In my opinion if we are going to use the Tan Sau with a pivot it is better off used against something like a spinning backfist , at least from that position the opponent has to spin his whole body back around in order to hit with the other hand.

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I mean the angle of the arm , if the hook is a very tight hook , then there is a chance that the hook maybe able to sneek around your Wu- Sau , but this is assuming that you have caught it very late and haven't been able to get your own counter punch out.

As for the Tan sau I wouldn't advocate it except maybe in the case of a wildly telegraphed over committed haymaker.
From the pivoted position if your counter strike hasn't had the desired effect you are very vulnerable to a strike from his other hand.

I prefer to move straight in and keep square on against a front on attacker so that I have equal use of both arms and legs and don't have to open the defensive area up as much.

In my opinion if we are going to use the Tan Sau with a pivot it is better off used against something like a spinning backfist , at least from that position the opponent has to spin his whole body back around in order to hit with the other hand.

What about high elbow fook sau?
the elbow is placed same as shoulder height and strike the opponent forearm while the hooker is punching.
but this must be very accurate right?In case ur elbow dont hit correctly you'll get hit..
am i right?

about the spinning backfist,
maybe first Pak sau, then Lap sau, then Punch him at his rib okay?

Latest Discussions