Yan Jeung (?) Question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was looking at an old video of Ip Man and a slightly newer, but still old, video of Ip Chun doing Siu Lim Tao and I began to think about where the power comes from for Yan Jeung (I think that is what it is called) early in the Siu Lim Tao form right after paak sau followed by jik jeung. According to Ip Chun’s book it is the beginning of the second section.

I have my thoughts on where the power comes from but I am basing that on Taijiquan and Xingyiquan. I am wondering where it is suppose to come from based on Wing Chun

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just in case my terminology and/or description made no sense what-so-ever. It is the downward palm strike that is done first right, and then left then behind the back both hands then in front both hands.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just in case my terminology and/or description made no sense what-so-ever. It is the downward palm strike that is done first right, and then left then behind the back both hands then in front both hands.

The power ultimately comes from the stance , but the movement itself is initated from the elbow in our lineage.

Then at the end there is a bit of help from the wrist , for example if we palm strike an opponent the fingers go back and the palm heel comes forward providing some final acceleration just before contact , acting in the same way as the punch

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Ok, we call those movements gum-sau (pinning-hand). Jor gum-sau (left), Yau gum-sau (right), shang hau gum-sau (double rear pinning-hand) and shang chin gum-sau (double front pinning-hand). Now you see why I favor English terminology for all but the basic techniques!

As far as power comes from, based on prior comments, I'd bet that Mook's probably right, but I don't really understand what "power from the elbow" means in this situation. Since you are snapping your palm downward and straightening the arm, to some degree you have to use the muscles that straighten the elbow... such as the triceps and even the lats in the pinning striking applications. But some of these movements have less obvious applications in the lineage I studied, such as using the side gum-sau to dissolve a grapple and initiate a lateral shoulder strike to the chest. In this application, your arm snaps straight down along your side, causing the elbow to disappear and dissolve an attempted arm-grapple while your whole body flexes like a sapling adding a very powerful whipping action to your shoulder strike. In this case the power is generated almost entirely by the lateral flexing of the stance and torso. Like so much in WC/WT/VT. It's simple, but complex at the same time.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite applications I was taught earlier, sometimes though when you meet a lot of resistance you have to push your arm outwards too, which changes the ability to land the shoulder strike as cleanly as I would like.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, we call those movements gum-sau (pinning-hand). Jor gum-sau (left), Yau gum-sau (right), shang hau gum-sau (double rear pinning-hand) and shang chin gum-sau (double front pinning-hand). Now you see why I favor English terminology for all but the basic techniques!

As far as power comes from, based on prior comments, I'd bet that Mook's probably right, but I don't really understand what "power from the elbow" means in this situation. Since you are snapping your palm downward and straightening the arm, to some degree you have to use the muscles that straighten the elbow... such as the triceps and even the lats in the pinning striking applications. But some of these movements have less obvious applications in the lineage I studied, such as using the side gum-sau to dissolve a grapple and initiate a lateral shoulder strike to the chest. In this application, your arm snaps straight down along your side, causing the elbow to disappear and dissolve an attempted arm-grapple while your whole body flexes like a sapling adding a very powerful whipping action to your shoulder strike. In this case the power is generated almost entirely by the lateral flexing of the stance and torso. Like so much in WC/WT/VT. It's simple, but complex at the same time.

The muscles you described are correct , they are the ones you have to use.
But in our lineage mental force is located at the elbow , so mentally everything is driven from the elbow.
Its not always the case in a literal physical type of sense , but mentally the force is always projected from the elbow.
For example I can have my arm locked out straight and still use my elbow force to drop my arm down even though the elbow itself is not moving forward or back but only down .
My theory is that it came about because to mentally fire up every muscle group that is used in a Wing Chun movement would be a lengthy and complicated thought process.
So its easier to say I want my arm to go up , so I mentally send my force to the elbow and make it go up.
Same thing if I want my arm to go down , I mentally project my force to the elbow and visualise my elbow sinking down.
Our whole Sil Lum Tao form is done in this method.

But getting back to the technique that Xue Sheng was talking about , you can start the movement off by slightly sinking the elbow from the shoulder joint first , then start using your triceps to complete the movement.

The best way to learn to do it , is to get someone to physically put their hand under your hand and give you a bit of resistance , sink the elbow slightly from the shoulder first and then extend the arm down.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
The power is from sinking. Nothing else is needed just relaxed sinking.

Simple way to test and understand. have a partner kneel in front of you. Place your and on his shoulder. Have him stand up or even more fun power up like a squat. If he can't stand you are doing it right. If he stands or you move backwards etc you aren't using the correct power.

hpclub1000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I hear people refering to "elbow energy" it's quite confusing for people to understand. Having done quite a bit weight training in my time I understand the biomechanics of certain techniques involving the primary and secondary muscle groups. For example whenever you perform a pushing exercise you are engaging your tricips and when pulling you are engaing your biceps. But the muscle groups used can change as contact is made. For example when I throw out a tan sao into the air the biceps are engaged slightly. But upon contact with a resisting force it changes to the triceps. Much the way the muscle groups are engaged when one performs a bench press. To me the elbow is a joint or bone. If you talk about a fixed elbow position it is the shoulder that is actually rotating.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The movement should actually have very minimal power if you want it to be effective. The move can be used for a variety of things, but ultimately it is best used for defence against knee attacks. If you use power, you will eventually damage your hands (force on force). The idea is to absorb the knee through your structure, and you will often see masters like Ip Chun do it this way

Its good that you are looking for these details though as it is interesting seeing everyones take on it

Peace out

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I hear people refering to "elbow energy" it's quite confusing for people to understand. Having done quite a bit weight training in my time I understand the biomechanics of certain techniques involving the primary and secondary muscle groups. For example whenever you perform a pushing exercise you are engaging your tricips and when pulling you are engaing your biceps. But the muscle groups used can change as contact is made. For example when I throw out a tan sao into the air the biceps are engaged slightly. But upon contact with a resisting force it changes to the triceps. Much the way the muscle groups are engaged when one performs a bench press. To me the elbow is a joint or bone. If you talk about a fixed elbow position it is the shoulder that is actually rotating.

It maybe confusing for them to understand , but the concept actually simplifies things a great deal when you are trying to apply mental force to your technique.

We know that the arm rotates from the shoulder , but its a lot more simple to visualise your elbow moving than it is to try and concentrate on all the different rotations that might be going on in the shoulder .

For example with a Bong Sau your arm might be rotating in the socket and at the same time moving up or down from the shoulder joint.

Thats quite a lot to be concentrating on , rather than just thinking I'll relax my shoulders and project from the elbow.

I think as westerners we try to really complicate things a bit sometimes .

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

The answer is:

It depends on the specific application.

If you're defending against a wrist grab, come along...

if its a sideward strike, etc.

Good posts.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . . The move can be used for a variety of things, but ultimately it is best used for defence against knee attacks. If you use power, you will eventually damage your hands (force on force). . . . .

If you're using the hand position (gum sao) against a knee attack, remember that it must be done by deflecting the knee from the side (left or right side of the kneeing leg). The power of the knee is too strong for the gum sao to go against it head on, with the knee coming up and the gum sao going straight down. The proper way to execute the gum sao is illustrated in the last set of Chum Kiu (after the last kick) with a shift and gum sao (3 times) and also in the 7th set (kicking set) of the Yip Man Muk Yan Jong form (that probably depends on what positions you do in your dummy sets also).

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses and please keep them coming.

I am working on Siu Lim Tao again but this time, for the heck of it, from an internal perspective and I am finding it very interesting, at times rather surprising, and at times hard to figure out from that perspective, but just the same it s pretty cool.

I am only back at the beginning of the second part and I am going to move on a bit this week. But I am taking it real slow and so far I like this pace.

If I have more questions I wll post them

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you're using the hand position (gum sao) against a knee attack, remember that it must be done by deflecting the knee from the side (left or right side of the kneeing leg). The power of the knee is too strong for the gum sao to go against it head on, with the knee coming up and the gum sao going straight down. The proper way to execute the gum sao is illustrated in the last set of Chum Kiu (after the last kick) with a shift and gum sao (3 times) and also in the 7th set (kicking set) of the Yip Man Muk Yan Jong form (that probably depends on what positions you do in your dummy sets also).

Thats actually incorrect. You should never block the end of a strike with your hands (ie the foot of a round kick, or the tip of a knee, etc). What you do with the gum sao, is block past the knee nearer the thigh. It is like blocking a hook by attacking the shoulder of an opponent

If you try blocking the side of a knee with gum sao, you will end up damaging your fingers (because their is no give in the structure). This has happened a few times with guys Ive trained with from other schools

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Thats actually incorrect. You should never block the end of a strike with your hands (ie the foot of a round kick, or the tip of a knee, etc). What you do with the gum sao, is block past the knee nearer the thigh. It is like blocking a hook by attacking the shoulder of an opponent

If you try blocking the side of a knee with gum sao, you will end up damaging your fingers (because their is no give in the structure). This has happened a few times with guys Ive trained with from other schools

You are right about gum sao near the thigh area. Zepe is also right of gum sao to the side of the knee area in conjunction with shifting to effect the desired off-line deflection.

Zepe said - deflection, you said - blocking, 2 different actions and out comes ... could it I might be reading too much into it?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are right about gum sao near the thigh area. Zepe is also right of gum sao to the side of the knee area in conjunction with shifting to effect the desired off-line deflection.

Zepe said - deflection, you said - blocking, 2 different actions and out comes ... could it I might be reading too much into it?

Yes you are reading too much into it in this instance. Gum sao is not really a deflection - you guys are thinking of a slip
Gum sao is a pinning hand. Although the moves look similar, gum sao is more of a trapping hand than actually deflecting structure. It is easy to get them confused though.

When people hear blocks, they usually think of hard force exerted by the person defending. Blocks are merely a move or structure designed to meet energy with proportional or more energy than is given by the attacker

Deflections tend to be driving an attack of its desired course. They can be hard or soft. Gum sao and blocks stop the attack dead in its tracks

Im sure you can slip a knee, but it is a risky strategy using your hands. If you want to absorb or deflect attacks from legs, it is better to move your body or use your own legs and knees

I broke a karate black belts toe by blocking their mae geris (kicks) with my knees. Something Im not proud of, but the moves effectiveness was apparent

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Kamon Guy, you are correct, it is not the knee, but slightly above the knee on the thigh. I meant to say deflecting the knee attack, not the knee joint specifically. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . .Gum sao is a pinning hand. Although the moves look similar, gum sao is more of a trapping hand than actually deflecting structure. It is easy to get them confused though.

When people hear blocks, they usually think of hard force exerted by the person defending. Blocks are merely a move or structure designed to meet energy with proportional or more energy than is given by the attacker

Deflections tend to be driving an attack of its desired course. They can be hard or soft. Gum sao and blocks stop the attack dead in its tracks

Yes, gum sao means pinning hand and is used as a means to trap or pin forward, stoppig an attack in it's tracks. But in this instance, gum sao is being used to deflect the knee attack. As I stated, in our lineage, it is demonstrated in Chum Kiu (after the last kicks, 3rd part) and in the Muk Yan Jong (7th set) after the kicks. And the hand position used is called gum sao.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score

This is done the other way around, left 1st then right !
Take time to relax...intiate...then back to relax.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is done the other way around, left 1st then right !
Take time to relax...intiate...then back to relax.

Correct, I made a mistake in the order, but my question is more to where does the power come from?

I have my ideas based on my CMA IMA background but what I am thinking may not be correct because, although I did train a bit of Wing Chun the majority of my training is in Taijiquan followed by Xingyiquan

Latest Discussions