How to turn a white belt into a black belt?

MartialArtist666

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I've started training in Karate and had to buy a white belt. I like the color black though, how do I turn my white belt into a black belt?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't really turn it into a black one.

They'll make you do some stuff, then, when you can do the stuff the way they like, they'll either give you a whole new belt or put some tape stripes onto the white belt you got. Either way they'll make you do some more, other stuff, as well as make you do the first stuff over and over again, then, when they're happy with all that stuff, they'll give you another stripe....or another belt. They'll keep doing this. It can drive you crazy.

Welcome to MartialTalk, by the way. :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi I've started training in Karate and had to buy a white belt. I like the color black though, how do I turn my white belt into a black belt?
You want to turn the belt you purchased into a black belt...dye it.
You want to develop black belt skills thereby attaining a black belt in Karate...train/practice as much as you can with an open humbly attitude, help others better their skills, and it will happen...in time. Enjoy the journey.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all seriousness, belt colors are earned through your particular school/style/organization and represent a certain level of knowledge and skill.

Some schools may have looser requirements as to acceptable uniform (gi) colors, but never letting students pick a belt color.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys know we're getting trolled, right? I mean really.

If we know the intent of the OP and don't take it seriously (as most of us haven't) are we still being trolled?

See for me personally, dyeing belts can be a messy business, so my advice would be to sneak up behind someone with a black belt already, and take it from them. If they see you just use the good ol' "look over there" ploy. If it works and you get the belt, you have earned the right to wear it :D

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
you want your white be,t to be black heres what you do

1 come to class atleast 3 to 5 days a week
2 pracatice hard
3 train hard
4 put your whole dedication to karate
5 and enjoy it

with in 3 years or so you will get your black belt in no time just takes patient lots of training practice you also have to be motivated

ive been practicing for 3 years 7 months im a 3rd brown right now so i havr this year and next year before i get my black i just need my 2nd degree and 1st degree brown this year

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You want a black belt they're easy to buy no problem...doesn't mean your any good...and yes everyone I know this guys trolling