How to get more students

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so my students for my gym is ruuning pretty low right now, and i was wandering how other people got students. one thing that i have thought about doing is to do door to door sales and offering a really good introductory price if they sign up then. has anyone tried this if so does it work and what are some things i should say to get them to sign up.

D

Deleted member 39746

Firstly, if you don't have a website make it. Secondly make some videos and such of your classes and put them on the website and/or you tube / other video service.

and you can also put advertisements in shop windows and advertisement boards some places have them scattered about.

And im not going to get into what you do, it keep it honest and realistic. not knowing if you mean martial arts gym or fitness gym, but you can also do public demos.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^^
What Rat said.

And, if you have the patience and skills needed to teach kids, cater to them. Kids class can pay the rent.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Door to door is a bad idea.

Whatever your pitch and price, I reckon you'll be very lucky to get 1% sign up.

Then, if 10% of those actually turn up (and don't demand a refund - look into door to door regs in your area - here you have to honour a 14 day cooling off period, minimum) you'll be doing really really well.

Out of those who turn up, maybe 1 or 2 might end up staying.

Is it worth a week full time door knocking for one extra student?

Those figures are based on it being pretty much pay as you go - if you're selling contracts then halve them at absolute best.

A flyer drop would be far more productive (discount coupon on flyer?) if you want the carpet bomb approach.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are a good instructor you should have a core of loyal students with esprit de corps. They are your most important marketing asset. Let them know you are looking for more students and they should be willing to act as their school's sales force. Word of mouth is still the best method. Give them each a stack of business cards/coupons and make a contest out of it, giving the winner of the membership drive some reward. Of course, this won't work if your guys are not that excited about your gym or you - which may be an indicator of why your students are waning.

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you are a good instructor you should have a core of loyal students with esprit de corps. They are your most important marketing asset. Let them know you are looking for more students and they should be willing to act as their school's sales force. Word of mouth is still the best method. Give them each a stack of business cards/coupons and make a contest out of it, giving the winner of the membership drive some reward. Of course, this won't work if your guys are not that excited about your gym or you - which may be an indicator of why your students are waning.

I think this and doing demonstrations is the best advice here. And see if the kids would do talent shows at their schools—you could aid in the choreography.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
so my students for my gym is ruuning pretty low right now, and i was wandering how other people got students. one thing that i have thought about doing is to do door to door sales and offering a really good introductory price if they sign up then. has anyone tried this if so does it work and what are some things i should say to get them to sign up.

This strategy is much more likely to be effective at an event in your town. Set up a table and sell “today only” intro packages. Going door to door (especially if you don’t have a permit) is more likely to annoy people and cause you trouble than get you students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First and most important: You are running a BUSINESS!
Do you have an actual business plan?
What is your overall goal?
What is your operation method?
What is your cash flow method?
What is your system to create cash flow? (this should change over time)
What is your marketing plan? (sounds like it needs work)
What is your retention method?

Once the "shine" of any type of new business wears off there is a definite drop in momentum. A business owner has to plan for this and how to combat it.
How long have you been open?
What was your rate of growth?
What is your current rate of shrinkage?

I do not know the exact number but I would guess 80-90% of all MA schools fail for various reasons and in different ways. The most common theme is someone a BB who is really good at their art (possibly in only certain aspects) and goes out and opens a school will little to zero thought about it actually being a business.

So, what is your scenario?
Are you using for free space in a gym?
Are you renting space in a gym where you do not worry about ownership issues?
Are you renting/purchasing space of a building of some kind?
Each of these scenarios require very different business plans.

As far as going door to door; it has close to zero impact drumming up business for a service industry, which is what you are. Unless you are in a dense city where several dwellings can be hit quickly, and you put a $$$ value on your time, door to door never pays off. If you are in a sparse area it makes even less sense.

As far as marketing goes, create a target like teens $ adults 17 to 28 just as an example. If you are in a college town you would have to reduce the age range. Find out where/when/why you can expose the most people to your product (you service). This may be flyers, pre arranged demos, etc...
What opportunities do you already have within your student group, or your friends? Can you create exposure at a students place of business? Do you know any teachers who can help you start a program at school?

You have to get creative. Yes, you need to read some good business books, even as hokey as some of them can get.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Internet is the way to go. You need a good website. If you can't do it yourself, pay someone to do it and to do SEO and all that good stuff ( I use Lead Generating Martial Arts Websites | Website Dojo . You can see my website that they designed for our school at ATA Martial Arts School - Karate Classes in Houston, Texas There are others that do this as well). You will also need a presence in social media, primarily Facebook. Keep activity going on FB and offer the occasional special on it.

But don't omit the personal touch. Make friends with the businesses around you and ask if you can put a droipbox in their business for a while. Service it regularly and offer to cross-advertise them in your school newsletter. Join the PTOs of schools in your area as a community sponsor and do things like teaching bullying prevention, and have the seminar fee paid as a donation to the PTO. They will think the sun twinkles out of your behind if you do. And of course, give all the kids who participate a month's free instruction in your school.

You might look at getting a booth in a theater for the opening weekend of some big blockbuster movie. Put up a wheel that they spin to win prizes for free instruction, etc. It might be expensive, but you will get a boatload of leads.

Those are some things that our school has done. Hope this helps!

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1st you need a website of your studio so they can see were you located the price the schedule and what kind of Martial Arts you Teach and what's the name of your studio

2nd you have to have connection like who's gonna do your website or were you gonna get your karate gear or what ever Martial arts you do

3rd you have dont need to go door to door
They will sign up once they see your studio

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think this is at all reliable. Lots of studios close down because not enough people sign up, so just having a studio and website won't be enough.
Agree. In this day and age I feel a website primarily complements an already existing business or program, especially informational sites. Social media is very important but you have to remember that your competition is doing the same things in regards to websites and social media. One of your most important business endeavors should be knowing all you can about your competition. You might be surprised what you can learn that will be helpful. Get involved with your community. Get known in your community as a quality source for your product. Learn about the needs and triggers in your town and get involved, finding ways to get your school and students involved.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learn about the needs and triggers in your town and get involved, finding ways to get your school and students involved.
I think this has a lot of benefits. It increases brand awareness, builds community within the school, gets the individuals active in the community, and probably carries a few life lessons along the way.

Latest Discussions