Hand And Head Position

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread in the Kenpo section, there is a discussion regarding one of the stances we use in our art. The thread progresses with talk of proper body alignment, head and hand position, relating to having a stable stance as well as positioning of the head so as to avoid having the chin as a target. Here is the thread for a reference point:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=538593#post538593

page 4 is where the discussion on this begins.

My question is: When you're sparring and/or fighting, how do you position your hands and head to provide you with the best possible protection?

Mike

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
to be honest, I think having a decent fist position in your fighting stance so that you're opponent hasn't got a direct line of sight to your face is sufficient.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:
to be honest, I think having a decent fist position in your fighting stance so that you're opponent hasn't got a direct line of sight to your face is sufficient.

err... well, if they don't have a line of site to your face, how do you have a line of site to them? :D

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
doesnt it all depend son you stlye of MA?
I take TKD and Kung Fu and I use 2 totally different stances for sparring.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
doesnt it all depend son you stlye of MA?
I take TKD and Kung Fu and I use 2 totally different stances for sparring.

Alot of the time it is that way withen the same style it is more of a personal preference.
Terry

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
guard position Should for contact maintain a postion of mobilty, a hand postion that offers protection and performance. Head should have a slight tuck to reduce exposer of the chin / jaw. moveing the headand body on entry. and defence as to slip and avoid a strike. Now point spars you get per say in a weaker postion mainly because its not real but points many go to side postion lower guard and take chances throwing weaker strikes that would never be used in any contact. Hand placement should offer coverage for the body slight movement for face protection But foot work is a key for both delivery and being able to move and protect.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That sound like the bi jong on guard of Bruce Lee.Kempo did not take its points-stances-foot work from epie.Kepmo of Parker had bow & nutral bows.The main question for poisition is is it defence or offence to the artist.1 can make 1 either as both Mitose & Parker had 8 folds or octagon to fight.Parker like Lee had a degree pholosophy & depolyed it threw stries.Refer to 1-4 books on Parker to get it.The Bijong on guard whould not be excepted in some kempo schools.

Latest Discussions