How often do you train at home?

Bushidofryer70

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious how often and for how long other Karate practitioner's train at home. I go to the dojo twice a week for 1.5 hours each, but some of this time is spent as an assistant instructor. I train at home 4 days a week for 1.5 hours each session. Im lucky my wife supports my training because it takes so much time. Sometimes,if I'm feeling good I don't even take a day off if ,but at 46 I know I need to recuperate now and then.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have only just come back to Karate - I can only currently afford the time to go to one training session a week - this is for two hours. Any time free at home will now be spent studying kata, and a little bit of weaponry for fun! I don't have a great deal of time spare, due to having a one year old daughter, and being an active musician.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had a regular at-home practice. When I had more time, I went to the dojo more often, or I did some fitness training. I'd occasionally grab a partner (for a while my first wife) and go practice in a park or someplace where we could practice throws and takedowns on grass, but that was probably a couple of times a month during temperate weather.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to 'practice' at home by doing informal things - such as non-walking kata in the shower (yes, it can be done, but you don't need the mental image) and practicing stances at various times during the day. On weekends I sometimes do weapons or empty-handed kata in the backyard.

Attachments

• 10171235_792249670785514_6723227621977457541_n.jpg
    10171235_792249670785514_6723227621977457541_n.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 10320505_801043013239513_3036617308218036197_n.jpg
    10320505_801043013239513_3036617308218036197_n.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 1506555_940540165956463_5470530087612411861_n.jpg
    1506555_940540165956463_5470530087612411861_n.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 190

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to 'practice' at home by doing informal things - such as non-walking kata in the shower (yes, it can be done, but you don't need the mental image) and practicing stances at various times during the day. On weekends I sometimes do weapons or empty-handed kata in the backyard.
I've recently started working on some of the new kata (mainline NGA doesn't have long-form kata) from home. It's one of the reason I added them, because there's a relatively small part of NGA that can be practiced effectively alone (and less if you don't have a heavy bag or other substantial target to work with).

(As an aside, can someone pass me the brain bleach?)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm done with the muriatic acid if anyone needs it......
I usually don't really practice at home much. Too many distractions with two little boys. The exception is when my mind is working on something and I need to physically work it out. Usually when everyone is in bed.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My hours were cut to part-time last year due to enrollment (private school teacher). The only benefit was I could go to the gym every day and hit the bag there. I went at it about an hour a day, 4 days a week. My speed, power, and combinations fluidity (if that's an actual phrase) improved a lot.

Now that I'm back to full time, I don't have that luxury. I'm buying a bag for the basement. I'll hopefully be able to spend a half hour or so down there the days I can't make it to the dojo. Having an almost 4 year old and a 6 year old at home doesn't make it easy to find spare time.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I could say almost every day if 5-10 min here and there counts. Plus some watching, listening and reading about the subject.
Or never if we are talking about a planned and regular training.

OP
B

Bushidofryer70

White Belt
Reaction score
I could say almost every day if 5-10 min here and there counts. Plus some watching, listening and reading about the subject.
Any training is good. The fact that you try to do some everyday proves your dedicated. As far as planned workouts, I just get them in any time I have free. Usually its evening's but early morning weekends work too!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I rarely train at home too many distraction.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a decent description of my current practice. I often take time to work out sequences for the next class, to experiment with some body mechanics, etc.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this would actually be good for general martial arts, as I no longer study Karate, but you would be surprised how just little things help all martial arts. Something as simple as standing in a horse stance (if not too low lol) while brushing your teeth, shaving in the mirror etc. A big thing with the two arts I currently study is equal use of both hands, armed and unarmed. So while brushing your teeth off hand. Once you get good enough, if you are brave enough ;), shaving with your off hand etc. So you can actually turn everyday tasks into training.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
i try to do the first part of Yang TaiJiJuan form 3 times a week 9 times, and also do 'Embrace Moon To Chest' for four minutes, as I think it is good for my back.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this would actually be good for general martial arts, as I no longer study Karate, but you would be surprised how just little things help all martial arts. Something as simple as standing in a horse stance (if not too low lol) while brushing your teeth, shaving in the mirror etc. A big thing with the two arts I currently study is equal use of both hands, armed and unarmed. So while brushing your teeth off hand. Once you get good enough, if you are brave enough ;), shaving with your off hand etc. So you can actually turn everyday tasks into training.
I found shaving off-hand easier than brushing off-hand. Well, until I went to an electric toothbrush, anyway. To your point, I often recommend everyday habit changes for students to develop certain areas. I remember an instructor telling me he rarely passed an electrical outlet in his home without kicking it with a low kick, and that he often turned lights on and off with a careful kick to the switch. These little changes in how we do things can build up a lot of practice. For a few years I used weight shifts to open every door I went through. For a while, I used just arms and rooted stances. For a few months I opened them only so far as necessary then used footwork to slip through (sometimes discovering I hadn't opened them far enough). I'm probably amusing to those watching me pass through doors at those times.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And also not the best resources (and partners...) for the must of us. Or... at least, for me.
Yep. For my wife kung fu = mistress. If I'm at home then I'll get interruptions that breaks my training.

If I'm at the school there is only 2 things I can do. Sit around and do nothing or train. It's the same if I'm in the park.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. For my wife kung fu = mistress. If I'm at home then I'll get interruptions that breaks my training.

If I'm at the school there is only 2 things I can do. Sit around and do nothing or train. It's the same if I'm in the park.

My wife sees it the same way. The problem is I can't be as dramatic with a comeback as I was with another obsession. When I first got crazy into cycling my wife called the bike "the other woman". So one day she is working night shift and I was off. I had washed the bike the night before, woke up early and wrapped the drive train in rags so as to not get lube on anything. I then put the bike in bed with me on her side of the bed and watched some TV until I heard the front door open. I turned the TV off, rolled over and spooned with the bike. The wife came up stairs and was not amused.

I thought it was funny though.

OP
B

Bushidofryer70

White Belt
Reaction score
I found shaving off-hand easier than brushing off-hand. Well, until I went to an electric toothbrush, anyway. To your point, I often recommend everyday habit changes for students to develop certain areas. I remember an instructor telling me he rarely passed an electrical outlet in his home without kicking it with a low kick, and that he often turned lights on and off with a careful kick to the switch. These little changes in how we do things can build up a lot of practice. For a few years I used weight shifts to open every door I went through. For a while, I used just arms and rooted stances. For a few months I opened them only so far as necessary then used footwork to slip through (sometimes discovering I hadn't opened them far enough). I'm probably amusing to those watching me pass through doors at those times.
Even when not technically training I still go through the house punching blocking and kicking as I go about my daily routine much to the amusement of my family [emoji12]

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even when not technically training I still go through the house punching blocking and kicking as I go about my daily routine much to the amusement of my family [emoji12]

I do it at work also. I try not to do things like kick open doors, but yeah, I practice the crescent step and so on at work.

Latest Discussions