How long do you guys train a week

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I train for 6 hours a week in the dojo. 5-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
So your curriculum requires kyu level students to teach?

Who supervises them? and, who are they teaching?

Our system employs a similar strategy for those who indicate a desire to teach in the future, but we don't require it at that rank.

:asian:
chufeng

We have no "kyu" levels. I was speaking of the level of the curriculum, not the students.. All instructors are certificated to teach a minimum 2 years after making their Black degree., if they can meet the standards and pass the teaching curriculum. All do not desire to teach therefore some Blacks are not certificated.

Passing a subject does not make one qualified to teach it, and we follow this religiously. All numerical ranks are considered honorary or emeritus, including my own.

OP
C

chufeng

Doc,

That is a great way of looking at it...
We do encourage more junior folks to teach the basics class (with close supervision) IF they indicate a desire to teach in the future.

They are also required to attend additional classes on HOW to teach...HOW to develop a curriculum...and WHY we do things the way we do...

They can be junior instructors within the system teaching the very junior levels under close supervision...this helps them to develop some teaching skills before they attain "senior" status.

However, like you, we do not give license to EVERY black sash...the black sash must become certified as an instructor in the system before given a license to teach...and a first or second level black sash must still be supervised (albeit from a distance) by a third level, or higher...

Nice thing is, our seniors don't give a damn about what level they are...they just want to train and teach.

Thanks for the feedback.

chufeng

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Doc,

That is a great way of looking at it...
We do encourage more junior folks to teach the basics class (with close supervision) IF they indicate a desire to teach in the future.

They are also required to attend additional classes on HOW to teach...HOW to develop a curriculum...and WHY we do things the way we do...

They can be junior instructors within the system teaching the very junior levels under close supervision...this helps them to develop some teaching skills before they attain "senior" status.

However, like you, we do not give license to EVERY black sash...the black sash must become certified as an instructor in the system before given a license to teach...and a first or second level black sash must still be supervised (albeit from a distance) by a third level, or higher...

Nice thing is, our seniors don't give a damn about what level they are...they just want to train and teach.

Thanks for the feedback.

chufeng

I like your "style.":asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
We have no "kyu" levels. I was speaking of the level of the curriculum, not the students.. All instructors are certificated to teach a minimum 2 years after making their Black degree., if they can meet the standards and pass the teaching curriculum. All do not desire to teach therefore some Blacks are not certificated.

Passing a subject does not make one qualified to teach it, and we follow this religiously. All numerical ranks are considered honorary or emeritus, including my own.

Dr. Chapel I like your set up. It's too bad that more instructors don't follow your ideas. This would be an exceptional way to get to be an instructor's instructor. :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Dr. Chapel I like your set up. It's too bad that more instructors don't follow your ideas. This would be an exceptional way to get to be an instructor's instructor. :asian:
Thanks. The belts are nice in house but in a teaching environment actually mean nothing without knowledge to back it up. The numerical ranks are even more ludicrous, particularly in the American Culture. Credibility should come from competence. You can have an MBA from a university on the wall, but if you can't perform in the business world you'll be out quickly. I wish it was the same in Kenpo.

But then it would be really quiet with a handful left.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Thanks. The belts are nice in house but in a teaching environment actually mean nothing without knowledge to back it up. The numerical ranks are even more ludicrous, particularly in the American Culture. Credibility should come from competence. You can have an MBA from a university on the wall, but if you can't perform in the business world you'll be out quickly. I wish it was the same in Kenpo.

But then it would be really quiet with a handful left.

The ability to gain "stripes" vary so much from instructor to instructor it makes you want to hide your head. I often wonder how I would fare out with other instructors on whether I should be where I'm at or not. The rank means something to me and would never want to be just handed any ever.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ability to gain "stripes" vary so much from instructor to instructor it makes you want to hide your head. I often wonder how I would fare out with other instructors on whether I should be where I'm at or not. The rank means something to me and would never want to be just handed any ever.

That's because you're a real martial artist.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
That's because you're a real martial artist.

Thank you again for the kind words Dr. Chapel. Last year I had an eye opening exerperience while training with Mr.C. he helped me realize that I don't know as much as previously thought. Actually I wouldn't have been able to pass his yellow belt curriculum. What a blow but at least I didn't have an ego problem. This brought me to my next step in kenpo where I lacked B1a, belt sayings, pledges, the 2nd set of the sets and a few other sets omitted from the curriculum. Now I know what must be done to fill the gaps with the base system of Ed Parkers Kenpo. Maybe this should have been a direct e-mail to you but I'll post it anyway since I'm done.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you again for the kind words Dr. Chapel. Last year I had an eye opening exerperience while training with Mr.C. he helped me realize that I don't know as much as previously thought. Actually I wouldn't have been able to pass his yellow belt curriculum. What a blow but at least I didn't have an ego problem. This brought me to my next step in kenpo where I lacked B1a, belt sayings, pledges, the 2nd set of the sets and a few other sets omitted from the curriculum. Now I know what must be done to fill the gaps with the base system of Ed Parkers Kenpo. Maybe this should have been a direct e-mail to you but I'll post it anyway since I'm done.

Dennis is one of the smartest guys in Kenpo. The only way to learn something is to park your ego at the door. I've had guys with substantial rank have the same experience with my "basics" class and never return. Good for you. Forget the belts and grab the knowledge.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't train in Karate but I am a martial artist. Anyway, I usually train about five to six days a week for a total of about five to six hours a week. I really look forwarding to going to my dojang in the evenings to train, it's such great stress relief for me. After I'm done I'm physically spent and exhausted, but, to paraphrase David Letterman: "It's a good kinda tired"... ;)

Latest Discussions