How often do you train?

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just curious as to how many times you train?

I train usually about 4 days a week.

Also, If you are an instructor, how do you stay sharp and train? On nights that I teach (about 3), I go in an hour early and work out by myself. What about you? The reason I ask, is because a lot of people say "I've been so busy teaching my stuff isnt sharp" and I just wonder why they dont train before or after?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I try to train 3 times a week. However, I noticed being in the instructor program you are always asked to help lower ranks out. But that ia cool, at one time I benefitted from that arrangement.

The deal is you have a school open 6 days a week, there is little time for training. and you stand around a lot of times, getting stiff.Oh, not to mention some folks still have day jobs!

We have irregular scheduled Black Belt workouts with a 7th degree BB and some of his students. nice!

But usually after teaching I am spend mostly mentally, and before is no time, so I have to schedule around it - though the past year I did work out after teaching.... not so pleasant.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train cardio/conditioning 6 days a week, traing techniques in class one day, sparring another day, and i train poomse 1 day. Some of this overlaps as well. Basically I train 6 days a week between the gym and the dojang.

Peace,
Erik

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Usually 3 times a week. Any less and I start getting withdrawl symptoms :anic:

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mon
Tues
Thursday

and sometimes on friday, and sat. If I feel froggy.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depending on what is going on, I go to class 3 to 4 times a week. I try to do at least some forms practice on my own (I am not as successful in doing this as I would like :barf:) when I don't make it to class.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach twice a week & do rehab on my calf twice a week. When my leg recovers, I'll be back training 5-6 days a week.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train TKD specific technique and patters in the dojang Monday and Thursday, and at home on Saturday. I train Seido specifics Mon through Thursday at the Honbu, and at home on Saturday as well. On Sunday I do some pushups and situps and take the dog out for a long walk, but I try not to kick anything (though tree branches that get in my way do occasionally get kicked) :D I find it difficult on occasion to not walk through the house throwing kicks over chair backs and the like. I'll do kata in elevators if I'm the only one in them. It's always pretty close to the surface when I'm not actually training :D

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll do kata in elevators if I'm the only one in them.
Haha me too! :) Nice to know there's some other "weirdos" out there. The best elevators are the ones with the mirrors so you can check your form! The worst ones are the glass elevators... you get funny looks between floors
:lol:
Sometimes working on the top floor of a building is a good thing!

Flynn_

White Belt
Reaction score
Haha me too! :) Nice to know there's some other "weirdos" out there. The best elevators are the ones with the mirrors so you can check your form! The worst ones are the glass elevators... you get funny looks between floors
:lol:
Sometimes working on the top floor of a building is a good thing!
It had better not be the ones with cameras in them!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am at the dojang 5 days a week, and most of those days I get to train at least a couple hours... sometimes the office work calls though.

I am also supposed to run every day (about a mile and a half... 50 laps around our school). This is a "recommendation" from my instructor... and when I miss one day I have to make it up the next. I HATE running.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Four days a week if we are talking of hard workouts. I used to do 5 and sometimes six but man that got to be a drag after awhile.

Soon my wife and I will take up bowling! Yes bowling. Not a daily thing, but now and then with friends we to out and have some fun doing it. I've spend so much time on the gun range and dojo, well, when I meet new people many times the conversation just kind of drys up.

So bowling..... I'll be know as Deaf 'Gutterball' Smith.

From a master to a white belt again! But that's the way life is, right?

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Four days a week if we are talking of hard workouts. I used to do 5 and sometimes six but man that got to be a drag after awhile.

Soon my wife and I will take up bowling! Yes bowling. Not a daily thing, but now and then with friends we to out and have some fun doing it. I've spend so much time on the gun range and dojo, well, when I meet new people many times the conversation just kind of drys up.

So bowling..... I'll be know as Deaf 'Gutterball' Smith.

From a master to a white belt again! But that's the way life is, right?

Deaf

LOL, but you know, people who never step outside their comfort zone are terrible! Have fun!

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I train TKD specific technique and patters in the dojang Monday and Thursday, and at home on Saturday. I train Seido specifics Mon through Thursday at the Honbu, and at home on Saturday as well. On Sunday I do some pushups and situps and take the dog out for a long walk, but I try not to kick anything (though tree branches that get in my way do occasionally get kicked) :D I find it difficult on occasion to not walk through the house throwing kicks over chair backs and the like. I'll do kata in elevators if I'm the only one in them. It's always pretty close to the surface when I'm not actually training :D

I do find that when I get bored or stuck waiting on something I start doing forms. Gets me some funny looks from people from time to time, but hey they are not blackbelts or even martial artists and just wouldn't understand.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When our do-jang had a christmas party they had a dance competition for fathers. I didn't win for lots of reasons but one of them might have been that they spotted parts of Taeguk Il Jang and Taeguk EE Jang in the dance moves. I guess that was one of the practical applications of forms.

Latest Discussions