How long do you guys train a week

B

Batty

I practice Shotokan Karate and am on the 5th Kyu. I train 4 hours a week in two sessions. I was just wondering how often you guys practice (in the dojo) every week, as I'm thinking of increasing the amount of time I do.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do kempo and I train 3 hours a week.i would do more if they had more classes. i just turned my daughters playroom into a mini dojo and we will practice there on days we don't have karate.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I train in american kenpo and modern arnis in a good week I have trained 8 + hrs, thats approx 2hrs a day 4 days a week. It's been kinda busy this past month so not that much of late, but hoping to get back to it next year.

OP
J

Jill666

I train 2-3 hours on class day (Wed) and twice more a week I train 2 hours with a couple of classmates. I attend a couple of other schools now, alternating between them every week for 2 hours. I practice at home as time allows, and have a bowflex too, for the days I'm not in the dojo with the free weights ( and my classmates, who occaisionally become free-weights )

I am trying to get more class time, but my instructor limits the class time (those pricey privates, y'know). :cuss: :2xbird:

Jill

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by Batty
I practice Shotokan Karate and am on the 5th Kyu. I train 4 hours a week in two sessions. I was just wondering how often you guys practice (in the dojo) every week, as I'm thinking of increasing the amount of time I do.

In a normal week about 11 or 12 hours average with 3 hours of tae bo included in there . When my instructor ran Judo/grappling classes it was more like 16 hours a week.

Cheers
Sammy

OP
C

chufeng

With degenerative arthritis of the knees, sometimes walking up a flight of stairs is a form of training ;)

When I was younger, I trained from 3 to 7 hours per day 6 or 7 days a week...
When I started a family (children) I reduced that to 2 to 3 hours per day 4 or 5 times a week...

Currently, I train about 6 hours (3 hours twice a week) a week...I need a long recovery time for my knees...

...and for those who are curious, I don't attribute my arthritis to my training...I attribute it to many miles of pounding while jogging, sprinting, etc over a twenty-two year military career.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
D

Deathtrap101

3 hours a week dojo time because, well, thats all we got.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
have any of you asked if you could train more hours a week, if they'll add more classes? i told my teacher I'd be there 7 days a week if he had classes.

OP
C

chufeng

Rachel,

I was very fortunate to have a teacher who let me train ANYTIME.

Yes, I had formal classes, but I was allowed to workout on the edges while other classes were being conducted...

Eventually I was given a key to the kwoon so I could train even when Sifu wasn't in. I doubt you'll find that kind of trust these days...

chufeng

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you sure are lucky! Maybe he'll let me come in with the other classes. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

OP
C

chufeng

Rachel,

The majority of my training occurred outside of the kwoon...
I did take advantage of the opportunities Sifu offered, but I also got up at 0530, in the winter, and trained outside (in my back-yard)...my brother would get up at 0630 and be totally amazed that I was already up and outside in my slippers (Chinese Kung Fu shoes) and a light-weight uniform working out...he would sometimes wake the neighbors with his..."YOUR CRAZY," outbursts...(this was in Iowa)

In the summer it was less harsh in the morning, but the afternoon sessions were brutal...I learned to drink water during my training...Bottom line, you can train wherever you find yourself...regardless of weather...if you want it bad enough, you'll do it.

chufeng

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by rachel
have any of you asked if you could train more hours a week, if they'll add more classes? i told my teacher I'd be there 7 days a week if he had classes.

Luckily my instructors school is open 6 days a week and if I had the time or the inclination I could attend up to 17 hrs a week of just adult classes. (I can attend lower belt classes as long as I'm willing to work on those techniques and not expect to learn something new from my belt.)

I also have the option of just showing up and working out on my own in a corner. I intend to be attending more classes now that things have settled down.

Dot

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Currently I train about 5 hours a week. Here is the breakdown:

Jujutsu twice per week for 1.5 hours per session.

Boxing twice per week at 1 hour per session.

Peace,

OP
R

RCastillo

like many of you, I have to work for a living.

I teach 4.5 hrs a week, try to find time to lift, run, do tons of housework, but manage to fit in several hrs a week for my self. And as I teach, I work in right along with my students, so that helps some:asian:

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, I do not suggest martial arts training more that 7 hours per week. "Why?" you may ask. Because you need time to rest and recover, and time to go over things in your head. Also you can learn a lot by observing (videos, etc.). A lot of guys I know overtrain. When you overtrain, you are not operating at your optimum level.

Less is more. Just let it all hang out when you do make it to the dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym.

Also, the spirtual side of martial arts is about attaining a balanced lifestyle. How can you have a balanced life if you're always in the training hall? What about your significant other, your career, and other fun stuff?

Okay, I'm done preaching. Someone pass around the plate now. :)

Peace & blessings,

OP
C

chufeng

Tyrone,

Nice post...
I agree with you on achieving a balance with family and work...
However, for the younger, single person...more is more...

For a 32 year old married with two kids, gotta job kind of guy or gal, 5 hours a week is probably just right...

For a 16 year old who has 5 hours after school every day with no other obligations...being in the trainig hall may be MORE beneficial because it keeps them out of trouble.

I trained VERY hard during my college years (yes, I was married) and my wife still says we were more like roommates during that time than spouses...so, you are right in emphasizing balance.

Thanks.

chufeng

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Chufeng, I'm in the same boat with you. I'm also 32-years-old, married with a 2-year-old son, and I'm employed as a paralegal with a major international law firm. Boy are we busy these days. 5 hours is just about all I can fit in.

I agree with you about filling up available time with martial arts training. It will keep one out of trouble.

Peace & blessings,

OP
C

chufeng

Zujitsuka,

I'm a little older than thirty-two, now;)

Have two children, 9 and 10 who both have music lessons in the evening...

My biggest limiting factor, now, however, is degenerative arthritis...I can sustain a three hour workout, but it take a long time to recover from it...so now I limit myself to twice a week.

Thanks for the post.

chufeng

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Batty

Typically from 103 (purple) my students study about 3 hours per session and teach for 2, minimum 3 days per week for a total of 15 hours. No holiday exceptions. Xmas and New years Eve were exceptional.

OP
C

chufeng

So your curriculum requires kyu level students to teach?

Who supervises them? and, who are they teaching?

Our system employs a similar strategy for those who indicate a desire to teach in the future, but we don't require it at that rank.

chufeng

Latest Discussions