How many uniforms do you wear in a week?

How many uniforms do you wear in a week?

• One (and I wash it daily)

• Two & I alternate them

• Three

• Four or more that I wear in a week

Results are only viewable after voting.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I was training in TSD full-time... I had two of the student-weight dobok that I used as "training" dobok... and I washed them reqularly...

In addition to my "training" dobok, I also had (have) a med-weight black and blue uniform for demo team, a heavyweight set (red top/blk pants) for S.W.A.T., and another student-weight trimmed in my current rank (for testing, competitions, etc.)... all of which saw mat time fairly regularly...

I've kept the demo and SWAT uniforms... you never know... I might go back to TSD someday... plus, I had to earn those spots... so, I keep the uniforms to remind me of those achievements...

Now that I'm planning my return to Kenpo... I have a new white canvas set, and a new black canvas set, nothing on them but the stars and stripes...

<SIGH!>

All dressed up... and no place to Kenpo! :ultracool

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

P.S. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a nice heavy-weight white belt? I really hate those junk belts that they put in the student uniform packages! Ah! A white-belt again... feels good!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been training for a while now so I've picked up more than enough different doboks to last the week +. I generally train 5 times a week, so I like to change to a clean, different dobok each day I go to the dojang. This is especially true after all the hardcore sweating I do after every session. I really enjoy going at it all out, just ask my training partners. I really like the TKD workouts. Not only the sparring, but also the conditioning part too. Great stuff.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok....I have a confession.......I have once uniform. After most classes, it is drenched. But in my building, there is only one set of washers and dryers. I have a cleaning service (Ajumma) and she only does laundry 3 times a week. So for two classes out of the week.....I'm smelly.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I went a little crazy a year or so ago and bought 10 uniforms in a variety of brands. I practice about 4 times a week for about 2 hours, so each session gets a fresh uniform. I consider it a courtesy to my classmates and partners to be clean and fresh smelling, and I wish everyone had the same consideration. Nothing's worse than being paired with a sour-smelling person for some drills. Yuck.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have 3 gi's. I teach 3 days a week. I use any combination of color I prefer. If I really don't sweat for some reason I put it back on the hanger immediately upon entering my home.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I normaly wear two and alternate them. Sometimes I just alternate some of the tops but still alternate the basic two bottoms.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just bought two more this weekend. I just doubled the size of my program from twice to 4 days a week. I figured it would be a good idea.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted every one to know that I got a new t-shirt today for class. I feel so good about this, now if I can only get some trousers too.........

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a lowly orange belt here, so keep that in mind ;)
I practice every day in sweats (I've taken up Exile's excellent kicking routine, Thanks again Exile!) and a T shirt so I only wear doboks when I'm actually training in the dojang twice a week. I have a heavy dobok I wear in the colder months, the traditional Japanese type, and a lightweight TKD type dobok (the pull over your head type) for warmer weather. I put them in the wash when I get back from school. I would never wear a sweaty dobok to school and risk having one of my instructors take it as a lack of respect for the dojang. If I went more often I would probably buy as many more as I needed, though.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have three.

Normally, I rotate between two gi's throughout the week. Since I train three times a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat), and that the other days (Mon, Wed) are solely for teaching, I use the same gi for Monday and Tuesday, and then switch out with a clean gi on Wednesday and Thursday. I'll do laundry on Friday nights, and use my third gi on Saturdays (the one that's starting to fall apart).

As for keeping your uniform clean, use a gentle (permanent press) warm wash cycle, in combination with a carbonate-based bleaching agent for white uniforms. Such bleaching agents are usually known as "washing soda" and are based on sodium carbonate. It's much less destructive to the fabric, and will help get your uniforms cleaner and whiter.

Hang dry, if at all possible. Much of the wear and tear occurs during the dryer cycles. If you can't wait, then use a gentle drying cycle, low or medium heat.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me, I have one that I wash after each class.

I do the same, I keep saying I will buy another set...but it never seems to happen. I have a hakama that I never wear from my iaido days, not sure if I will ever wear it again. Although I threatened to wear it last Halloween, my wife persuaded me otherwise.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have two uniforms, and usually alternate one per week. Since I was not teaching for a while, it made no sense to even care for the uniforms I had. However, things have changed recently. I was told by my Instructor to start going to class once in a while to help, and I am conducting semi regular sessions with our black belts, rather than simply practicing by myself. So i've had to dust off my two uniforms and put them back into service:) . I may even look into getting a new one.
Both of mine are WTF black v-neck, with nothing on them-no patches, no nothing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have two workout uniforms that I alternate between and wash after each use. I also have one instructors uniform that I use also that gets washed after every 2 uses.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
One clean one per workout. So it depends :) I could go 7 workouts without having to do a wash.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wear one per workout/lesson , so about 5-7 a week depending on how many sessions I teach.

I have over 18 uniforms in a variety of brands. Some are judo gis. I usually receive a few uniforms every year as gifts from family or students so they seem to accumulate quickly.

If you ask me about a particular brand of uniform (crossover variety) available for sale in the US, I probably have worn it at some point in my life. I usually wear the 'nicer' brands since that is what people buy for me, but I have no problems recommending KI or Kwon or even good old AWMA/Pro Force to my students. All three companies also sell judo uniforms at good prices.