How many fights have you been in, so far, in your life?

How many fights have you been in, so far, in your life?

• 5 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
J

jwreck

So what do you consider a "serious" fight? I answered based on the criteria of whether or not blows were exchanged (or attempted in some cases). So if I ask a guy politely to leave, he throws a punch, and I lock him up and walk him outside, does that count? Or do only "Lets go outside and settle this" one on one ongoing battles count? You can't post a very non-specific question and then get annoyed because you don't like the answer.

Just for reference, most of my fights have been the guy throws a punch at me or someone else and I lock them up kind. However, I've been in everything from one on one, to I don't even know how many on 5.

I'll give you the most humbling figt I've ever been in. I was working at the bar, but was very sick, so I'd gone to the back to puke. On the way back I see two punks in front of my bar about to fight. WEll, just as I walk up, they start swinging. Both these guys are about 5'5", 135 lbs, so I decide to collar them both and take them outside. About the time I get my hands on each neck, the guy in my left hand pulls a knife. Withou even thinking I flung him away from me. Then I got hit from behind by somebody (a friend of someone involved I'm sure) and next thing I know, I'm on the ground with the guy in my right hand on top of me, and a guy with a knife that I'd lost track of. Lucky for me, that's when some of my bouncers showed up. They were worried about the people standing up fighting and didn't even see me with this guy sitting on my head. They guy on top of me managed to hit me in the face once before I managed to control his wrists. Then I just kinda held on (being sick I was so weak I couldn't get this 135 lb dude off me :() By the time it was over, I was told that ther were 8 people involved plus the two bouncers and me. No one ever found the guy with the knife, but I feel luck as hell to have not been cut. As it was, I was still picking glass from beer bottles out of my legs (I was wearing shorts) for quite a while afterwqards. (note: groundfigting on a barfloor is a VERY bad idea ;) ) Needless to say, I never underestimated people after that, and I never tried to collar two guys at once again.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my early youth I grew up in a rough neighborhood. There were several, about 1 a month from age 6 to 12. Two thirds of which I spent running my a$$ off.

When we moved to the burbs, I had 3-4 that had more to do with ego than brains.

During my MA years, 1981 to now. I had no fights until I started working in security in a high crime area (was around to witness a couple drive-by shootings). Then I worked as a bouncer. Most of those conflicts went to a controlling technique. Only a couple really turned into something ugly, which usually involved being out numbered.

I found myself very irritated as the number of people with five or more fights climbed. As a martial artist, I believe, we have a duty to de-escalate violent situations. I know that lots of these "fights" occurred in the "stupid youth" stage, yet it is my hope that MA has taught many of you more appropriate ways to deal with conflict. My question is this, has training in MA reduced the amount of violence in your life?

I don't understand why people seem to think that "knowing how" somehow turns someone into Mother Theresa. Being a martial artist does not trun me into a pasafist or a warmonger. There are things that are worth fighting for. I will stand my ground when it's an issue of morals, principles or honor. Maybe not a popular ideal these days, which is what makes me a dinasaur.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoran
I will stand my ground when it's an issue of morals, principles or honor. Maybe not a popular ideal these days, which is what makes me a dinasaur.

I, also, will stand my ground. My two year old daughter, last summer, decided to throw a tantrum in the rotunda of the nations capitol this summer. We were on a tour and this was in the middle of a speech. I was across the room watching as a chinese man went over to my wife and told her to leave because my daughter was interupting the tour. Then he took a swipe at my child. My wife picked her up and stiff armed the guy. When he grabbed her arm and started to pull her. I put my hand on his arm and told him to let go. He said we had to leave and then proceeded to jerk hard on my wife's arm. I applied joint lock and swept his feet with hosotogari, putting him on his back to free my wife...And then got tackled by security. When the mess was straightened out, the man was arrested and I was released without charges. (the fact that I used appropriate levels of force helped me in this instance - no one was hurt and the conflict ended quickly) I will say that only when the other guy was on the ground, did the security even notice what was going on. (So much for terrorism preparedness)

There was an opportunity to de-escalate in this situation and it didn't work. Is this considered a fight? Maybe...this type of situation is pretty normal at my job, though, excepting that it rarely escalates. The only reason in this instance that I quickly resorted to technique was because he was harrassing my family. What I have a problem with is the macho man MAist who makes no attempt to try to de-escalate and resorts immediately to the training because the want to "try it out". MA doesn't make people pacifists. It makes people "pass the fist" in favor of other methods first.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ninway J
I'm interested to find out, from the Martial Talk community, how many fights each member has been in his/her life.

Any fight, meaning serious situations where you had to physically defend yourself from a person or persons because a)you thought there was a chance a person might seriously hurt you physically, or b) you thought there was a chance a person might end your life at that moment.

If you want, please tell us your story and your age now(approximate if you want).

I voted for more than 5, not jsut because, and not to make light of those who have had less. For those are the smart ones in life.

A) Those where I thought I might be seriously hurt. This would be just about every fight with 4 or more people. This does not mean I could not get hurt, by one or two, for I have. I am just saying, that this was / is when I kicked it up.

B) Those where I could have my life ended, are where they had knives, cars, trucks, bats, guns, 2x4's and not just flashed or brandished. Actually pointed, aimed, targeted, swung at, you get the picture.

I really do wish I could look back and say I only had one or two serious fights and those were just trying to get away.

:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
when I was young I had more than a few. fists, feet, sticks, rocks, for the most part. A few knives can into the picture in my early middle teens.
after I started in the martial arts only a couple of fights. Street thugs after money or anything they might have thought I might be carrying that could be turned into money for drugs.
I learned from these what worked and what didn't and what stoped someone quickly.
Can not say i am proud of any of them but they where a learning experence.
What I am proud of are those situations that could have ended in a fight but didn't for reasons that differed in each situation

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is a serious fight? great question. blows exchanged? Weapons? Someone goes to the hospital?

I think that this poll could probably be broken down a lot further. I know my numbers are high, but 5 years as a street cop before switching to a less, um, direct contact position will do that. I certainly had periods at work where I could top 5 fights in a bad week; just a fuction of the district I worked at the time. On the other hand it has been many years since I had a non work-related fight.

Maybe a more interesting poll would be "how many potential fights have you de-escalated?"

OP
N

Ninway J

Originally posted by dearnis.com
What is a serious fight? great question. blows exchanged? Weapons? Someone goes to the hospital?

I think that this poll could probably be broken down a lot further. I know my numbers are high, but 5 years as a street cop before switching to a less, um, direct contact position will do that. I certainly had periods at work where I could top 5 fights in a bad week; just a fuction of the district I worked at the time. On the other hand it has been many years since I had a non work-related fight.

Maybe a more interesting poll would be "how many potential fights have you de-escalated?"

Kewl dearnis.com. You should start the poll. :)

I guess my poll could also be named "how many fights have you tried de-escalating, but ended-up in a fight, or just started off as a fight without attempting, or had no chance of, de-escalation"

I'm not making fun, I'm just trying to make a point.

dearnis.com. By you mentioning that you are in law enforcement, I think that's nuff-said as far as telling your story. I think we all would agree that law enforcement, military, and people in rough neigborhoods get into far more dangerous situations than anyone else.

OP
T

TonyM.

This thread has me thinking how strange life can be. I dislike fighting yet I have been in many. I suppose all the environmental markers for fighting are in place.
1. Grew up in rough neighborhoods in rural Louisianna and West Virginia. Also urban Baltimore and DC.
2. Have baby face that bullies and gay bashers love to attack.
3. Am multiethnic (Cherokee of mixed blood) Growing up in predominately WASP neighborhoods.
4. Am opinionated with big mouth and lack of control keeping it closed. (organic problem-asperger's disorder)
5.Served in Co. A 75th INF. Rangers, Airborne in RVN. (Constantly challenged or attacked by non airborne or ranger soldiers.)
6.Former Correctional Officer for the State of Vermont.
Fortunately I have learned avoidance and de-escalation well and have not had to fight in a number of years.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony-

I think just Louisiana does it. What a strange place....the most odd mix of laid back and casually violent. I lived in New Orleans for 10 years or so (also managing to get into the rural areas often); the things you see......

(and this was years before I became a cop...)

OP
T

TonyM.

Yes, Louisianna is a strange place. Hasn't decided if it's part of the south or even the states for that matter.
LOL, I bet you could write a book about what you've seen after you became an officer.
Tony

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by TonyM.
Fortunately I have learned avoidance and de-escalation well and have not had to fight in a number of years.

Your experience, very much supports my point. 99% of "fights" could pass with out a fist being thrown. De-escalation works.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony-
The book (or books) are coming.... someday.
And you hit it on the head; South Lousiana, at least, is not even really part of the states.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Tony-
The book (or books) are coming.... someday.
And you hit it on the head; South Lousiana, at least, is not even really part of the states.

Chad,

If you need help with a person to read them before hand, I am available. I enjoy a good story form time to time. It makes me feel better about myself ;)

:asian:

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

As a kid I got beat up so many times it wasn't funny. Smaller than most at the time. I was never really in the fights. I was more of a punching bag because my dad was a minister and he felt turning the other cheek was the only option.

I really wanted to take some form of martial art but wasn't allowed.

OP
N

Ninway J

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Doughboy

Hmm, interesting, Doughboy. My parent was the same way with me as far as not wanting me to take a martial art. I finally started a few months after I turned 18.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I have had my fair share of encounters. In my younger years of learning, I was taught great morals, values, and to always be a protector of justice. Unfortunately, I mis-interpreted some of the values and looked to deliver justice by seeking out bullies and troubles of the sort. I often had a tendency to get involved with problems and situations that weren't my own... and I still do :(. Consequently, it gets me into alot of un-necessary conflicts, and I'm thankful that none have cost me greatly.

THuNdeR_FoOT:asian:

OP
T

TonyM.

Doughboy. I always thought turning the other cheek was a feign tactic.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Doughboy
As a kid I got beat up so many times it wasn't funny. Smaller than most at the time. I was never really in the fights. I was more of a punching bag because my dad was a minister and he felt turning the other cheek was the only option.

Wow, I thought my parents were the only legalistic crazy ones! :D I was not allowed to take martial arts as a kid, it didn't stop me, as my best friends parents took me and paid for it without my parents knowing for a few years. But, my parents were missionaries, so it was easier to get stuff by on them, especially when they were in the Ukraine, and I was here.

7sm

Latest Discussions