How hard do you train your students?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At what level do you start to push them to train harder/faster/longer? Do you wait until they are a certain age (for kids)or do you only push those who want harder training ? Do you let them slide until a certain level and then, all of a sudden, demand 3x the effort?
I am just curious because some of the replies in other threads seem to say that the majority of instructors out there, or at least those who reply, let kids "slide" until the more advanced levels.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the school you teach at is not you own then you are bound by the head or owners restrictions. That would be his business and he will run it as he sees fit and you can only instruct as to not lose him business.

Now if it is your own school and you are not worried about making a living at it then you can push as hard as you want.

But then again if you need to make a living at it and it is your only source of income then you better make it fun for the masses at the same time you can choose who you want to push, for each person will have different reasons for being there. However you money maker will be the kids that are there to have fun or why ever mommy or daddy wants them there.

I know that there are a lot of people that want to stick out their chest and say I only teach "Marines", but sad to say that is not true. If your class is only full of the best of the best then you are charging 1000/per lesson and only need 2 students 3 times a month and I doubt they would need your lessons.

I can walk into any school across this country and find many students not up to any of our standards. Just as I could also find in every one of those same schools students that standout and look awesome.

Hell in my school we have autistic kids and kids with Down syndrome. How well do you think they look? Hell, it takes a miracle just to get them to turn in the correct direction half the time.

However we also have some students that would put most of the people on here to shame.

I could go on and on but not a single person on here is training only superstars.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
????I was asking a general question about pushing students harder at all ages. Not just kids. And, of course, I was not referring to special needs kids. At what age/level do you start pushing them to train harder? That was the question. I was trying to be serious.
I am also not referring to just competitors.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...at what point are students "pushed" instead of just "taught" ?

I don't know if I am missing a dynamic here because I have never taken TKD, or any of the more competitive arts. However, I thought martial arts classes in general move forward as at a moderate pace. Students lagging behind might be addressed by the instructor depending on their needs (a struggling student is different than a student losing interest because hockey practice has started). Students that are ahead of the curve might taken on more more responsibilities with demonstrating and assisting their fellow students.

In general I think the goal of MA classes is to produce a student that can use the material and can interact responsibly with fellow students, instead of just an automaton that can parrot a series of moves.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
????I was asking a general question about pushing students harder at all ages. Not just kids. And, of course, I was not referring to special needs kids. At what age/level do you start pushing them to train harder? That was the question. I was trying to be serious.
I am also not referring to just competitors.
I was referring to all students. You can push some right away and others not at all. And in some situations you can't push any because it may not be in our control.

If you think about it you push everyone some but everyone is getting pushed at levels of degree. Age, athleticism and other factors play into that role. What is easy for one may be extremely difficult for another.

Pushing is dependent on the student. One class will have a gambit of levels so you simply cannot just push for the sake of pushing. You push who can be pushed at any age and you let those that can't progress at their own pace.

Unless you are teaching everyone, one on one you have to find a happy medium and have some other programs for those that want more. I know many look down on separate programs but that is one way to give the ones that want more, more.

My other comment was about the same thing I think but maybe just a little more direct.

I also like what Carol said. Her words are more refined than mine.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was referring to all students. You can push some right away and others not at all. And in some situations you can't push any because it may not be in our control.

If you think about it you push everyone some but everyone is getting pushed at levels of degree. Age, athleticism and other factors play into that role. What is easy for one may be extremely difficult for another.

Pushing is dependent on the student. One class will have a gambit of levels so you simply cannot just push for the sake of pushing. You push who can be pushed at any age and you let those that can't progress at their own pace.

Unless you are teaching everyone, one on one you have to find a happy medium and have some other programs for those that want more. I know many look down on separate programs but that is one way to give the ones that want more, more.

My other comment was about the same thing I think but maybe just a little more direct.

I also like what Carol said. Her words are more refined than mine.
These are the comments I was looking for. I agree with both of you and thank you for your views

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Come on little Billing (4yrs) you can break that brick! I mean I'm not pushing but I showed you the stances and strikes... what's the problem!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on little Billing (4yrs) you can break that brick! I mean I'm not pushing but I showed you the stances and strikes... what's the problem!

Now that is just being mean, come on with little Billy he is trying to achieve BB before six.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was 5, I was playing with my tonka toys and eyeing the 4 year old girls. There was no Martial Arts for kids at that time (at least in my area)

I recently pulled my kids out of organized classes because the kids classes became more about dodgeball and other games instead of self defense. And this is a reputable school.

Now I teach them hardcore self defense at home (stuff they can really use if their in a bad situation) and 3 of their friends have now joined us. Much more effective. And when their older, and want to get back into organized classes, I'm all for it.

But to answer the op, I'm pushing my kids now (10yrs old and 8 yrs old) and they are good about it. They respond to it. They wanted to be pushed harder in their school classes but it wasn't happening.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I push my students progressively. Beginning students get a good work out but focus on establishing the basics. Advanced students work out hard and move faster and are expected to have a better grasp of the basics (if they don't they get taught like beginning students and just don't promote).

... ^~^

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I push my students from day 1. Of course, I don't make my livelihood from martial arts, so I have the luxury of selecting exactly whom I want to teach and then I can run my lessons exactly the way I want to. And that's the ONLY way I would be willing to teach.

rosworms

White Belt
Reaction score
Basically... I don't think you can really push anyone to work harder if they don't want to. Just make the classes as intense as you want and the ones who really want to work will work their hardest.
And the others... well if they slack off and, in turn, take alot longer to progress in rank (if they progress at all)... it's their own choice.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my instructors used to say, "Make them (the students) sweaty, sore, and smiling." He was a maniac about training hard. He never wanted a class to end until the mirrors on the walls were covered in condensation from the sweat. I miss him.....

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm... for me, you can push students, but most of the time it's only a temporary thing (for the duration of that class). Not that there's anything wrong with that; from time to time we all need to be pushed "past" our limits so we can see that the limits we thought we had weren't real at all.

The bigger challenge lies in inspiring students to push themselves. When you get that right, they can become truly phenomenal.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it a true Sport Competition Team that has real ambition 2-3 hours per day M-Fri, 3-6 hours per Saturday. You have to love it and want to excel. No one can force someone to train this hard it has to come from his or her soul. 1 out of 100 students can get to this level of training.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it a true Sport Competition Team that has real ambition 2-3 hours per day M-Fri, 3-6 hours per Saturday. You have to love it and want to excel. No one can force someone to train this hard it has to come from his or her soul. 1 out of 100 students can get to this level of training.
Truth in those words.

Latest Discussions