Traditions that you pass on to your students

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not wash your belt? I never have, not that I don't agree but I have never heard it before...... Asking questions is also a good tradition

Cos they are usually cheaply dyed and will make all the rest of your clothes that colour when they run! :ultracool

Stuart

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

Heres some traditions we keep:

-The Ch'ang Hon/ITF belt system
-BB's addressed as Mr, Miss, Sir or ma'm (junior BBs are still addressed by firstname however.. cos they likkle :))
-Courtesy to all students, irrespective of grade or age
-Black belts are no longer charged for classes (as long as they put in/help)
-Dont be late to classes
-Students sit on the floor, only guests sit on chairs
-Cover your dobok if outside the dojang (or MA event)
-Upon passing a black belt, the one that passed has a party/dinner and treats all those that helped them get there (this is our own)
- Visitors that come to our dojang are treated courteously and not as a threat/challenge, but welcomed.

Stuart

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
After every belt ceremony, we will have a compai. Saki, plum wine, or soda, where appropriate. Each student, from lowest rank, up to sensei, will comment on the test, and give input, ending with a raising of the glass with a Hardy, "COMPAI".
icon12.gif

TaekwondoForLife

White Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

Heres some traditions we keep:

-The Ch'ang Hon/ITF belt system
-BB's addressed as Mr, Miss, Sir or ma'm (junior BBs are still addressed by firstname however.. cos they likkle :))
-Courtesy to all students, irrespective of grade or age
-Black belts are no longer charged for classes (as long as they put in/help)
-Dont be late to classes
-Students sit on the floor, only guests sit on chairs
-Cover your dobok if outside the dojang (or MA event)
-Upon passing a black belt, the one that passed has a party/dinner and treats all those that helped them get there (this is our own)
- Visitors that come to our dojang are treated courteously and not as a threat/challenge, but welcomed.

Stuart

Very similar to what we do, except for the forms (we do Palgue).

Nice to know someone else emphasizes manners and etiquette as well.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We pass down the typical CDK traditions, the oath, etc. I also follow what Iceman does as well. The only others that I pass down myself is proper tying of the belt, as it is a pet peeve to see students above 4th kup that don't know how to tie their belts properly. I also pass down the proper way to get into seiza and performing Moto. When kneeling, left knee touches the ground first and the right leg comes up first when getting off of your knees. When students ask is because in the past, your sword was always on your left side and if you try to get up and draw it with you left leg up, you will lose a leg.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't let them wash their belts(I look at it as dis-respecting their rank. It may sound silly, but I don't care).

That one really doesn't make any sense. It's not a Japanese or Korean tradition. I doubt it's a Chinese one either. This is just one of those strange things a Westerner made up or misinterpreted which was later "The Way We've Always Done Things."

Latest Discussions