How far do you travel to your school? and How long?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I always believe it is best to train near home? because you do not want to spend time in traffic,gas, and having an extra long day. Most people will show up if the distance wasn't far too.

How far do you travel and how many hours or minutes does it takes you?

We live across the street from the elementary school about 1/2 block a way were we train in the cafeteria. Driving time is about a minute? We have alot of equitment to take. (In case you wanted to know why we use the car?).

A friend in LA, use to train with his cousin, who move 2 hours away, he tried attend classes regularly...but that didn.t last long. Too far.

Anyone wants to visit our class here? ....2000 miles or so from California...Aloha (not sure how long by car?)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is only 5 minutes but then again, I own the school and I made sure it was close to my house.
Terry

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with you that your school should be near. My primary school is about a 20 minute drive, the one I've just started in addition is even closer, about 10 minutes. It's very important that it be easily accesible, especially for people just starting.

Jeff

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For myself, I think the most important thing is to find a school and instructor that best fits what you are looking for. The extra drive is worth it!
I have driven 5 hours to seminars that I wanted to attend and have flown across country to attend various camps!
My school is now 5 minutes from home though and I can't complain about that!! :0)

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
For myself, I think the most important thing is to find a school and instructor that best fits what you are looking for. The extra drive is worth it!
I have driven 5 hours to seminars that I wanted to attend and have flown across country to attend various camps!
My school is now 5 minutes from home though and I can't complain about that!! :0)
I'm with Stickarts. In an ideal world the perfect school would be right next door. However that doesn't happen and sometimes you have to travel a bit to get what you want. Which is a lesson I just learned myself. ;) My current school is about 18 miles away. It takes me roughly 20minutes to get to. Totally worth the drive though. :D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I first started training in TSD, my teacher's school was five minutes away. Now, I live about 150 miles away. I only make it down about one weekend a month for training. I'm lucky that he can devote the time to this outside of the class schedule.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I agree that the perfect school would be very close to my home...but it's not, will be 1 hour away for Xingyi was 45 minutes for Tai Chi and if I switch to a different Tai Chi teacher...well hours away..sad truth of living in a martial arts desert.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for years when I started studing Sikaran I had a 2 hour drive each way or about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour hich hick which I did many many times

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The class I teach is 3 miles from my house - about 10-15 minutes in heavy traffic... which is what I usually get, since class starts at 6:00 pm, smack in the middle of rush hour.

When I work out with my instructor, it depends on where we are. His class is about 25 miles from me, 35 minutes in light traffic, 60+ in heavy traffic (up the freeway); if we work out at his house, it's about 15 miles, usually about 30 minutes.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
my school is 5 minutes by car and a pleasant 20 minute bike ride from my house. of course, i chose both my house and the location to make that so.

when training at a school that wasn't mine, i moved a total of 5 times. i found that, until i had a job there, my attendance lowered when i lived farther away. and i was one of the gung-ho ones.

if at all possible, you should either live near your school or work near your school and take classes before heading home.

takezo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
About 125 miles round trip; three hours total travel time; twice a week.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I drive an hour each way. At one time I was driving 1.5 hours to the same school. Gotta go where its good...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Due to a job change, I'm living, working, and training in different subregions of New England.

45-60 minutes to work.
50-60 minutes to training.
30-45 minutes to get home.

Too much driving for me, but once I start working my regular work shift, I'll be working less during the week. More time for training :)

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
About seven minutes by car, I can walk it in around 20. Its perfect- especially when I'm coming and going many times a week
Aqua

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now my school is only a 10 minute drive from my house...after i move next week the school i want to go to will be about 45 min from my house. I could probably find a something closer but I want a GOOD school and am willing to drive for it.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Right now my school is only a 10 minute drive from my house...after i move next week the school i want to go to will be about 45 min from my house. I could probably find a something closer but I want a GOOD school and am willing to drive for it.

My first school was right down the block from my house, went there for 5 years! The school I've been training at for the past 2 years is a 40 minute drive each way. I train twice a week (sometimes more). I too wanted a GOOD School, but I was also looking for a school teaching the EPAK curriculum. It has definitely been worth the trip.

Good Luck!

Peace! :)

Donna

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, I always believe it is best to train near home? because you do not want to spend time in traffic,gas, and having an extra long day. Most people will show up if the distance wasn't far too.

How far do you travel and how many hours or minutes does it takes you?quote]

I live in Moses Lake, Washington. Every Monday and Wednsday I or my Great Grandmother (with whom I am living with right now) have to find a ride to Coulee City, Washington. It takes about one hour to go from Moses Lake to Coulee City. I am sort of use to going that way any ways though because whenever School is out, I sometimes go up to Mansfield, Washington and/or Bridgeport, Washington and when I go there, we drive through Coulee City.

I have been with the same Sensei (instructor) for 6 years (it will actually be 6 years on November 8th of 2006). For the first three almost four years, my instructor was here in Moses Lake. He then had to go to College in Ellensburg, Washington and left one of his black belt students here to run the school here but the school didn't do very well without the Sensei who moved to Ellensburg and soon the school was closed. After the school closed, most of the students either quit altogether or went to another Martial Art school here in Moses Lake but I wanted to continue to practice with my Sensei so when I found out he was going to start to teach in Ellensburg under Parks and Recreation I talked to my Mother and Great-Grandmother and they agreed that if I would keep my grades up they would drive me over to Ellensburg on Tuesday and Thursday for the class.

I went to that class for about three months and then my Sensei said that he was going to Massachusets (sorry for the bad spelling) to train with one of his instructors. I than did not go to any Martial Art class or anything of the sort until about six monthes later when I found out that my sensei was coming back to Washington and will live in Coulee City. It was in May 2005 that my Sensei started teaching Martial Arts again in Coulee City. Ever since than I have been trying to go to class up there every Monday and Wednsday. I guess this could be called "the evelotion of class".

Sincerely, Eric Daniel

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently, my school is exactly 1 mile from my home. I teach a class at the community center where I work.

In the past, I've traveled 25 miles from my home (one way) to train. I could take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour & a half (Chicago traffic!) I did that 3-4 times a week for 5 years.

Other schools I've trained at were anywhere from 15-30 minutes from my house. I trained at each one for a number of years.

I think that when someone just starts out, distance is (& should be) a factor. But if you've found something you love, distance doesn't seem to matter. That's what I've found for myself anyway.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For one class I attend, it takes one hour (total travel)- one day per week for 1.5 hours (sometimes it's a longer class). The newer one I joined is only 10- 15 min. away, 2x's a week. Of course, both travel times depends on traffic.

Latest Discussions