Just how far is too far?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just reading a thread about how far do you travel to train and it made me curious...

Since we have plenty of new members on here and people often ask about nearby schools. I thought I would see what people thought was too far for regular training (weekly).

For me, nearby is relative! I have always traveled 40 minutes (one way) at the least to train and now it is almost 2 hours one way for a 2 hour class. Sometimes I don't get to do it every week, in those cases I try to get to another instructor that is about an hour away to get some budo therapy.

Just how far is too far for weekly classes with a good instructor? I would say if the travel time exceeds 2 hours one way, I would be evaluating things. Not that I wouldn't do it, just I would certainly scrutinize things more closely.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I go 35 minutes one way to the dojo. I'm in there anywhere from 2 to 5 days a week. It's worth the drive for me and I'd probably add the extra 25 minutes to hit the hour mark if I had to. After that it's out of reach for me due to work schedules and such.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it is once a week peobaly no more than two hrs. once a month ona weekend maybe up to siv hrs.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I don't train in in the Takamatsuden arts, but coming from the FMAs, I understand what its like to be passionate about an art that isn't necessarily taught on every corner.

I hate driving! Go figure :rolleyes: But..I travel 2 hrs each way, 1-2x per week. Sometimes I'm there for 2 hours, sometimes its 4 hours or longer.

My instructor does his best to make it worth it for me, and I deeply appreciate that. For me, its definitely worth it. But its not easy because it's more than just committing oneself to the drive and extra gas money.

There are health factors. I've had days that I haven't been able to come out because I had a headache or fever...something where I would have been OK to train, but not OK enough to safely make the drive, especially the drive back after being tired out.

There are also life factors. Making this kind of trip also means blocking off a solid 6-8 hours of your day. I had days like today where I ran in to some pressing real-life stuff that needed to be addressed. I probably would have been able to go across town to take a one or two hour class, but wouldn't have been able to commit the 6 or more hours for a lesson.

As a student, this is frustrating to me....and likely frustrating for an instructor as well...to plan on a student being there an not have them show up.

There's benefits though...watching the scenery along the way helps me put the "real world" behind for a bit and puts me in a better mindset to train. It's one way to make a commitment to one's training....if I commit myself to dedicating almost half my waking hours to training that day, I damn well better be there unless I have a good reason not to.

Plus there's something about being around people that are aways away that is a little....refreshing. People are involved in different things and have different lives that are separate from where I live and where I work, and its a nice change from hearing the same old same old every day. In some ways, its a bit of an adventure, and one that I've found I am looking forward to doing.

I didn't set out to join a school 2 hours away, but, I had a few workouts at one and got hooked. So...I would personally suggest...don't rule a farther-away school in just because it has a great teacher, and don't rule it out just because its far away. See if you can try it for a month or so. Meet the people, make the drive, see how it all fits, see if the differences are worth it for you...and then make a decision.

Going that distance is more than just training...its an entirely different experience. Its worth trying before deciding.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Weekly I have driven more than a couple of hours. Monthly sometimes I have driven quite a bit more. Truthfully it all depends on the quality of the instruction. If the instruction is really good then a couple or hours or even quite a bit more is really not much of a problem.
icon14.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'd all depend. I've driven an hour to pick up my instructor, driven him to the class, then taken him home again. I'd drive an hour or maybe 2, subject to traffic to train, and I'd be willing to do that 2 or so times a week -- work scheduling permitting.

But there's more than raw travel distance; travel time isn't always related. Traffic in my area can turn a 20 mile trip into a 2 hour trip, depending on the time of day. I might be willing to travel longer if I was on a train or something like that, where I didn't have to be alert.

Another thing about the nature of the trip is relevant, too. Thinking about traffic brought it to mind, along with remembering something by Dave Lowry about the use of his drive to a class. If the trip is through pleasant scenery or otherwise pleasant (good company, for example) -- I'm willing to go a lot further than if I'm going to be creeping along the same distance and/or time with nothing to see but cars. And frustrated drivers. And more cars... A "nice" drive to class can help you compose yourself for class, putting the day's hassles behind you for a bit. I've been thinking about when I walked to class... Not only was it good for my fitness, but the time before and after served to let me get myself in the right mindset, then wind down before I got home. Maybe I need to find somewhere walking distance to train again...

Kirjava

White Belt
Reaction score
Currently, I drive around 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back (through traffic, unfortunately), but for the place I currently train I'd be willing to travel just about any distance.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's benefits though...watching the scenery along the way helps me put the "real world" behind for a bit and puts me in a better mindset to train. It's one way to make a commitment to one's training....if I commit myself to dedicating almost half my waking hours to training that day, I damn well better be there unless I have a good reason not to.

The drive is a great time to get my mind focused on training. That is how spend my drive. My drive is about 1 hour going to training, since my work is between home and the dojo. However, the drive home is the long leg of the trip, it runs close to 2 hours, plus additional tolls. To me it is certainly worth it. I sometimes go and train with other instructors and drive an hour, one way to their locations.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm lucky, just about half an hour one way.
It took me almost an hours when i had to get there by train.

An Italian friend of mine has to ride the train for almost 3 hours ( one way ) to get there...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In good traffic we're an hour away from class. It's none too far. There's one guy who travels twice the distance.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just how far is too far?

21 hour trip to China or the 17 hour trip to Japan sound to far to me :uhyeah:

I travel 30 minutes 1 way to train and I have in the past traveled as much as 45 minutes one way but beyond that it is just not possible for me to make it with any regularity. I suppose if the teacher was good and it was a style I REALLY wanted to train I could do an hour but that is pushing my limit right now.

dru123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I travel 1 1/2 hours, each way, once a week for BJJ class. I kind of like the drive. It's quite and relaxing and I usually listen to a digital audio book. This is a great site: http://www.audible.com/ if you need something to make the commute go faster.

I am happy to see others travel just as far or farther to train.

Latest Discussions