How effective is the MT knee strike?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Insert solution for that flying knee. Too bad he didn't know it.
View attachment 28236
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, needing to see it in video or what. But that seems like the worst position to take a flying knee. That right hand is not in a strong enough position to handle it, and the center of balance isn't strong enough to deal with it, assuming he can slip or brace for the knee.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, needing to see it in video or what. But that seems like the worst position to take a flying knee. That right hand is not in a strong enough position to handle it, and the center of balance isn't strong enough to deal with it, assuming he can slip or brace for the knee.

The power of the deep squat.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This is the only hint I'm giving until I can get the MMA guy at the gym to knee me. This is one takes some explaining because in the application provides a brace

1647602188705.png

1647602343611.png

1647602413383.png

1647605142932.png

The difficulty of seeing it through this is that Kung Fu Practices kung fu practices things big with the understanding that it gets smaller. The other issue is that the same movement may have 2 different applications that varies with stance height. Generally speaking, my rule is that a low stance is for grappling and a high stance is for striking. When I practice this technique it's always much higher than this and my arms are much closer together. The position that the technique puts me in is similar to what you see the pad holders in.

1647603485223.png

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The power of the deep squat.
Follow this general rule
1. High stance is for striking
2. Low stance is for grappling
3. Mid stance splits the two allowing the person to quickly go in either direction.

Kung fu usually has multiple applications for a technique. Applications of a technique will sometimes vary depending on the height (level) of your stance.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In double collar tie, before (or during) your opponent knee strike, you can knee strike his leg too. Instead of waiting for your opponent to knee strike you, you knee strike him first.

knee-strike-single-leg.gif

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A duck under isn't a big duck.
Yep there different types of height levels for ducking in general it follows the same rule as dodging. You only duck as much as needed. Overdoing it will often make matters worse, not better.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep there different types of height levels for ducking in general it follows the same rule as dodging. You only duck as much as needed. Overdoing it will often make matters worse, not better.
It's trade off. If you make small move, your head is still under your opponent's head lock range. But if you make big move, you head may be out of his head lock range, but your head is next to your opponent's knee.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trade offs can be better or worse than the current situation. Doing a technique incorrect can make things worse too.
All techniques and counters have risk. As long as we understand the risk, we can always try to avoid it as much as possible.

For example, when you use your hand to push your opponent's arm and move your head under, your hand can control his elbow and prevent him from applying reverse head lock on you.

Your other free arm can also protect your head if it's too close to your opponent's knee.

Again, this is why to allow your opponent to have 2 free arms is a bad idea. There are just too many things that he can do to you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You could defend that by hitting a deep squat.
At that point a lot of stuff beyond your stance has failed. You either are doing a demo, intentionally put yourself in that situation or screwed up skill wise while grappling.

If your grappling skills aren't greater than the person's ability to maintain that head lock then you are screwed. Maybe you can defend that with MMA while someone like Wang puts the squeeze on.
But I doubt it

Edit: sometimes there is no exit. Sometimes there is no escape. The most I can offer is to know and understand where the road dead ends with a cliff, then avoid being lead down that path. Either by mistake or by the will of your opponent, avoid the dead ends.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions