How Effective Is Bodybuilding For Self Defence?

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
who said it was?
And no matter what you do, stronger is still stronger, faster is still faster, smarter is still smarter, and better is still better regardless of any "innate power."

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
And no matter what you do, stronger is still stronger, faster is still faster, smarter is still smarter, and better is still better regardless of any "innate power."
and meaner is still meaner. glad we agree.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't get carried away.

Why are you swinging from one extreme to another? Is it truly ruthless or gently disarming and making friends?

We can disagree. I'm fine with that. This is similar to that other thread about hating your enemy. This isn't about how other people act. It's about how we choose to act, and whether we actually have a functioning, consistent moral compass. I mean, if your sense of right and wrong is so flexible that you apply one set of values to some people and different values to others... that's problematic.

I don't think being ruthless is a trait that is to be admired in anyone. I certainly wouldn't want to be known as ruthless, and I wouldn't want to promote ruthlessness in anyone I know.

Are other people ruthless? Sure. Some people seem to be proud of it. Do I want to be friends with, or even friendly to them? Probably not, at least, not if they understand what ruthlessness really is. In fact, it's the opposite. Someone who is truly ruthless is probably someone I would actively avoid associating with, and while I would prefer not to harm that person, I would not hesitate to do so. Recognizing it when you see it helps you protect yourself from those dudes.

I guess to say it as simply as I can, the opposite of ruthlessness isn't meekly naive. You can be compassionate without being victim, just as you can protect yourself without being a sociopath.

So, maybe when you guys are talking about being mean and ruthless, you have an unconventional definition of those words that changes their meaning significantly. If so, I'm willing to try and figure out what you really mean. But if you actually intend to use the words in their true sense, we may just fundamentally disagree. Because ruthlessness is intrinsically immoral, in my opinion, and unnecessary for self defense.
Well I’m kidding. But since we were talking ruthless…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't get carried away.

Why are you swinging from one extreme to another? Is it truly ruthless or gently disarming and making friends?

We can disagree. I'm fine with that. This is similar to that other thread about hating your enemy. This isn't about how other people act. It's about how we choose to act, and whether we actually have a functioning, consistent moral compass. I mean, if your sense of right and wrong is so flexible that you apply one set of values to some people and different values to others... that's problematic.

I don't think being ruthless is a trait that is to be admired in anyone. I certainly wouldn't want to be known as ruthless, and I wouldn't want to promote ruthlessness in anyone I know.

Are other people ruthless? Sure. Some people seem to be proud of it. Do I want to be friends with, or even friendly to them? Probably not, at least, not if they understand what ruthlessness really is. In fact, it's the opposite. Someone who is truly ruthless is probably someone I would actively avoid associating with, and while I would prefer not to harm that person, I would not hesitate to do so. Recognizing it when you see it helps you protect yourself from those dudes.

I guess to say it as simply as I can, the opposite of ruthlessness isn't meekly naive. You can be compassionate without being victim, just as you can protect yourself without being a sociopath.

So, maybe when you guys are talking about being mean and ruthless, you have an unconventional definition of those words that changes their meaning significantly. If so, I'm willing to try and figure out what you really mean. But if you actually intend to use the words in their true sense, we may just fundamentally disagree. Because ruthlessness is intrinsically immoral, in my opinion, and unnecessary for self defense.
I grew up around, and was raised by truly ruthless and sociopathic people. I am not that, but I am unfortunately familiar with what that really means.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
i believe it is this gentleman's perspective that i am speaking from fantasyland. i get that a lot, mostly from people afraid of learning what they have failed to understand.

there is only one place anything is learned. there is only one person who can teach us anything at all. that person is us, and it all happens in our mind. no matter what we observe, experience, or are taught in words or actions, it is our own ability to assimilate the information into something our bodies can do on their own. we also have the ability to tailor our mindset for optimal results, and most martial arts offer tremendous tools for learning to control the primal mind, even if it is rarely mentioned the way i have here... and all of this happens the only place that it can, in our minds.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
don't cry unk. maybe just try to not be a troll? just a suggestion.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
i believe it is this gentleman's perspective that i am speaking from fantasyland. i get that a lot, mostly from people afraid of learning what they have failed to understand.

there is only one place anything is learned. there is only one person who can teach us anything at all. that person is us, and it all happens in our mind. no matter what we observe, experience, or are taught in words or actions, it is our own ability to assimilate the information into something our bodies can do on their own. we also have the ability to tailor our mindset for optimal results, and most martial arts offer tremendous tools for learning to control the primal mind, even if it is rarely mentioned the way i have here... and all of this happens the only place that it can, in our minds.
Nicely written.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
1640889053417.png

Latest Discussions