How do you view tae kwon do?

Papio

White Belt
Reaction score
As a really good fitness class with lots of flexibility, coordination, posture and balance elements, like yoga except with punching and kicking. :D

The TKD I’ve been taught so far doesn’t use the shin, knee, elbows or forehead as weapons and praises highly accurate touches to strategic locations rather than resolution of conflict though force which is how I define a fighting system or martial art.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a really good fitness class with lots of flexibility, coordination, posture and balance elements, like yoga except with punching and kicking. :D

The TKD I’ve been taught so far doesn’t use the shin, knee, elbows or forehead as weapons and praises highly accurate touches to strategic locations rather than resolution of conflict though force which is how I define a fighting system or martial art.

Not knowing how long you've been taking TKD, I can't speak to your ability in terms of being able to hit a target accurately with the desired level of force - but if I can hit you accurately in the temple, or carotid, or philtrum, etc., while moving (and I can) then I have just resolved a conflict through force... because you'll be out cold. :)

Likewise, if I punch or kick you in the diaphragm (much easier in terms of precision than the temple), then again, I will have resolved a conflict through force - but it takes longer to learn to do the first than the second, and, if I recall correctly from your other post - you're a blue belt, or thereabouts, and most blue belts have yet to develop the level of precision I described above - but they're getting there.

If your instructor has not taught you why you are learning "highly accurate touches to strategic locations" - and has not explained that the level of force should vary depending on the desired outcome, then perhaps you and your instructor need to discuss that.

As far as the knee, elbow, and shin, I do teach those; I prefer to use my forehead to protect my brain, rather than as an attacking tool.

Papio

White Belt
Reaction score
Not knowing how long you've been taking TKD, I can't speak to your ability in terms of being able to hit a target accurately with the desired level of force - but if I can hit you accurately in the temple, or carotid, or philtrum, etc., while moving (and I can) then I have just resolved a conflict through force... because you'll be out cold. :)

Likewise, if I punch or kick you in the diaphragm (much easier in terms of precision than the temple), then again, I will have resolved a conflict through force - but it takes longer to learn to do the first than the second, and, if I recall correctly from your other post - you're a blue belt, or thereabouts, and most blue belts have yet to develop the level of precision I described above - but they're getting there.

If your instructor has not taught you why you are learning "highly accurate touches to strategic locations" - and has not explained that the level of force should vary depending on the desired outcome, then perhaps you and your instructor need to discuss that.

As far as the knee, elbow, and shin, I do teach those; I prefer to use my forehead to protect my brain, rather than as an attacking tool.
You miss read my other post, I push kicked a blue belt and I’m still at the level of innocence in TKD so try not to take anything I say specifically about TKD as gospel.

In terms of ability, Taekwondo is my second MA, I lacked the patience for Ju-jitsu and the constant stream of fake punches aimed off target for throws, takedowns and wrist locks. I judge my sparring by what I’m told by the high grade (red and black) belts when fighting them. My favourite partner being a scrapper red belt that doesn’t pull his kicks or ask if I’m okay after every light tap.

My kicks and punches are fast, accurate and strong, my stances are good, I have a tendency to drop my guard during certain kicks, I keep dropping my eyes to waist height especially when fighting high belt females - staring into there eyes can become very uncomfortable especially when they smile at me, I can’t seem to get into the habit of closing distance with constant kickers and I keep getting told off for not pressing attacks after backing other students into walls.

As for my forehead, it’s got me out of some very tense situations where fist or feet weren’t really all that useful but you’re right, it’s a last resort.

Latest Discussions