How do you view kicking

OP
V

vincefuess

This DIRECTLY reflects your instructors approach to teaching you how to use kicks. I try to practice all of the kicks I intend to use defensively from a distance of arms reach from the heavy bag. If you can kick effectively here, you can kick about anywhere.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess

This DIRECTLY reflects your instructors approach to teaching you how to use kicks. I try to practice all of the kicks I intend to use defensively from a distance of arms reach from the heavy bag. If you can kick effectively here, you can kick about anywhere.

Originally posted by Seig

Not really, I'm short, I have to be close to kick 'em.

:rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Now that was really funny.:D

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

Originally posted by Seig

Yeah i know, I'm notorious for letting someone get shoulder to shoulder with me and then popping them on the chin with a side or hook.:EG:

How do you kick someone in the chin from that distance? except with a twisting kick i can't even imagine it in my little brain!!??:confused:

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
360 kicks, reverse spinning kicks, they all telegraph big time. Really bad for real life.

Though they are often very good escapes/retreating moves (maybe not the 360's though). spining back kick has saved my butt a couple of times.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do you guys like to use kicking in a fight not sparring but in a street fight.

I use the same kicking technique but I'd keep my kicks to diaphram or lower unless some real golden opportunity presented itself.

Do you use kicking to keep someone at bay?

No, I usually kick someone to hurt them. If they stay back, fine, if not, fine to.

or is it your killing technique that you'll only use as a last resort?

'Killing technique'? One learns with both punching and kicking to control the power. You can hit with just enough force to stun or knock the wind out of someone, or KO them (or worse.) Just about any technique can be a 'killing technique' if you try hard enough.

Do you only prefer to keep someone at kicking range?

Well it will be real nice if the other guy cooperates and stays just in kicking range. But I suspect they won't and some will get well within punching range, like elbow range, knee range, knife range, biteing range.... the other guy has a mind to and you would be supprised how hard it is to do in someone who just does not want to be done in.

And what areas of the body do you prefer to target.

If it's not a life threating incident, I prefer the ribs and solar plexus. Knock the wind out of them.

If it is a life threating incident, the instep, shin, knees, groin, spine, ribs, solar plexus, and again if the opportunity presented itself, the jaw, eyes, and throat. In fact anything goes if my life is in danger. I prefer the reach of my Glock in those times. Just way way ahead of kicking and punching.

Do you have a differetn kicking stradegy against a skilled opponent? I'd like to see what everyone's thoughts on on this.

No. I don't. What matters is why I'm fighting. I don't 'assume' before a fight the other guy is skilled or unskilled. That's a bad 'assumption' to make, and we all know what to 'assume' means (it means to make a er.. donkie's posterior out of you and me.)

Deaf

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Coming out of Master Kwon Jae Hwa's Tae Kwon Do,I treat my opponent with respect.I know how much damage to inflict without a doubt.Dislocate a hip,paralize,break a jaw,fracture a shin,break ribs,I could go on....the difference between the properly trained...and the novice, your opponent's skill level will manifest itself early on,this is why oftimes I will wait and bait,sometimes,but not always, people's body language will reveal this trait.
I once fought a skilled boxer.....he had me for lunch....timing..closed the gap....rung my bell...then helped me up....what a gentleman.Problem..young (big mouth)and inexperienced.'nuff said....

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kicking would be my first choice in any street confrontation. Preferences would be middle front, side, or roundhouse kick, followed by high roundhouse and back side kick. But it depends on the situation. You never know.
And even the kicks people are convinced would not work have their place and most definitely can be used.
Personal opinion: kenpo and karate guys are not the best people to ask if kicks are viable for self defense. They are likely to be biased against them.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the “street” I prefer to keep all kicks below the waist. The knees are always a good target. Using kicks to keep an opponent at bay or away from you is a good idea until you are ready to attack. Low line kicks also can be a distraction if they have enough power in them to really get someone’s attention.
If at all possible I like attacking the inside or outside of the knee but lets not forget that kicking the ankle will wake someone up also.
As for a finishing technique, well, if they are done and it is open your darn right I will use my foot(feet) on them

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite kick targets in the street: toe, instep, knee, hip, solar plexus. On rare occasion, the head is a viable target. Things have to feel just right for that though. Or if they're bent over. then it's a GREAT target!

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you guys like to use kicking in a fight not sparring but in a street fight. And not comparing the advantages of kicking over punching. Do you use kicking to keep someone at bay? or is it your killing technique that you'll only use as a last resort? Do you only prefer to keep someone at kicking range? And what areas of the body do you prefer to target. Do you have a differetn kicking stradegy against a skilled opponent? I'd like to see what everyone's thoughts on on this.
I would kick to keep someone at bay yes i would perfer them to be at kicking range. I would kick them at their core (stomach, chest area). Kicking them in the face or legs would be when i need to flee and want to disable them quickly.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
AFAIC, the primary use of the legs and feet in SD is to allow me to move...I don't really emphasize kicking very much. If I am kicking someone, the groin is about the highest target I will attack. My favorite kicks are stomps to the sides of the knee to collapse it, or to the inner and outer calves to roll/break the ankle. I also use a lot of knees (attacking the groin or thighs). All of the ones I mentioned are fast, easy to recover from, and don't leave me on one leg for very long.
I prefer to be at clinch-range so these kicks work great.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in a streetfight where i am squaring off with a enemy, or being attacked or hunted, i do not rely on kicking as an effective strike. i like to remain concentrated on my upperbody. until now, when i have gotten into such situations, i never thought to kick although if a fight were to drag on, i would surely break out the kicks at the right time.
it's hard enough getting a punch or whatever other strike in on a ready opponent, much less a kick. furthermore, the most important thing in a strike at the initial stage of a fight, is the power and effect of the strike-definately could be called manstopping power or knockout power. whatever the case, if the strike doesnt connect, it should at least let the opponent know that he is in danger. i personally have always connected my first strikes in real fighting.
the reason that i dont favor kicks is that i wouldn't break out kicks until i know that there is no danger of being rushed. also, there is usually a greater distance to cover so that if i am close and kick, it is dangerous for i might get rushed,loose balance or simply not connect the kick. if i am at 'kicking distance' then it is really easy for the opponent to see coming.
so i would close in and then kick. most people dont expect kicks, some also dont fear kicks instinctivly. establishing distance or respect is really important.
now it may sound like i dont use kicks, but actually i have a very extensive arsenal of kicks, high low, fancy and simple. -
from the psychological perspective, it is kindof disturbed enough to be punching someone, even more so to kick someone.-
pretty much the only good target other than the head would be the solarplexus/belly, groin or throat,sternum,knee(if hit just right,otherwise, ouch)- anything else might have very little effect of a hardend fighter.
stompkicks can be used to push away oncoming danger. for example once when two were holding me and the other beating me, i pushed the guy in front of me away with a stomp kick- mind you, this only pissed him off more.
i am quite confident that i can land many devastating highkicks and midsection kicks in a real fight too. however, it is a slight gamble. and the simplest explaination i can come up with, is that until now, i never have 'felt the desire' to break out kicks at the beginning of a fight. another reason is that if i were to connect a powerful kick, i might **** up the person more than the law or his parents would approve of.

sparing is essentialy no different that real fighting in the movements and techniques, just in spirit and difficulty level. for me, kicks, kickfakes-(raising the knee) ,knees are crucial building blocks of my security. it is apparent what i mean to me when i spar with a boxer only boxing or a grappler only grappling, i notive right away that my freedom as well as my security are slightly compromised if not challenged.

as far as i know, it has been statistically proven that the greatest chance to land a highspinkick, is when the opponent rushes, -but it requires impeccable timing and precognition-and will always be somewhat risky

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kicking would be my first choice in any street confrontation...

Personal opinion: kenpo and karate guys are not the best people to ask if kicks are viable for self defense. They are likely to be biased against them.

Any street confrontation? Does that include being in very tight quarters, or on uneven, icy, or other unstable terrain. How about against weapons? "Any" covers a lot of territory, kid.

And as for the bias against using the more complex (spinning and jumping) high kicks in a "street" attack, you can add a lot of other syles to your list. A think a lot of kung fu, BJJ, boxing/MMA and FMA folks would sign on...and more than a few streetwise Korean stylists too!

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I love using my kicks. In a street fight scenario I would definitely kick someone. If you only use your hands and arms for strikes, then you're really limiting yourself. Kicks, knees, and stomps all have their place in the martial artist's arsenal.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any street confrontation? Does that include being in very tight quarters, or on uneven, icy, or other unstable terrain. How about against weapons? "Any" covers a lot of territory, kid.

And as for the bias against using the more complex (spinning and jumping) high kicks in a "street" attack, you can add a lot of other syles to your list. A think a lot of kung fu, BJJ, boxing/MMA and FMA folks would sign on...and more than a few streetwise Korean stylists too!

Obviously you can't always kick. In close quarters, you would use hand techniques, although I certainly think some sweeps are possible.
I'mmtalking about the people who think kicking in any situation is inherently useless. In the hands of someone who practices them consistently, not useless at all.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whether in the street or in sparring, my use of kicks will depend highly on the opponent and what he is doing. Sometimes, kicks are to keep the right distance. Sometimes, they are to integrate another angle/level of attack to throw off the opponent's defense. Sometimes it's to land a bigger hit. Sometimes, it's to incapacitate a limb (knee strikes, instep stomp, etc.).

Skill level, intent, and style will all change the way I face and attack an opponent. But one must be careful, particularly in real world applications. If you apply a level of force that is inappropriate to the situation(e.g. joint destruction, kicking with steel toes, stomps), you may end up with more legal trouble (civil and criminal) than it was worth. That, IMO, is easier to do with kicks than hand techniques. Are there plenty of disabling hand techniques? Sure, but some kicks, I believe, may be veiwed as something different, and possibly an escalation of force.

Latest Discussions