How do you view kicking

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(OH MY GOD! CAN IT BE? A TKD STUDENT WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO KICK HIGH?!!!)

:D That is too funny. I do TKD, too. And in a real fight, I wouldn't attempt the high kicks either. Inside the dojang, anything goes hehehehehe

OP
F

fist of fury

So are thier any TKD people that would try spin kicks outside the school?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"So are thier any TKD people that would try spin kicks outside the school?"

Yep, I would and I have. The thing about head level kicks and especially spinning kicks is...... if you can't do them as fast as a kick to the shin or a punch then don't use them! Almost all of my students can't execute a head level kick fast enough to be viable on the street and I tell them honestly...don't dream of trying it. I see very few karate / TKD artists that can kick fast enough to the head to use it properly in a real life situation... and then I see a very few that can take your head off before you can blink. It is possible but it takes LOTS of practice. When I see how fast some people kick I want to do that too and I make myself train the kick over and over again until I can achieve the same speed.

There was an occasion I instinctively kicked high in a street situation and you know what happened? My oppponent threw his hands down and got knocked out. I'm assuming that he threw his hands down because he saw my leg lift a split second before he got nailed and his instincts kicked in to defend against a kick that he assumed was low. I don't think your average thug even thinks for a second that you'll kick him in the head, he just reacts to what he thinks is coming.

Would I use it again in a fight? If it felt right yes I would...but I think every situation is different and requires a different response. If I'm really scared or threatened then I would stick to gross motor skill range. (knee elbow headbutt range)

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Shinzu

i gonna have to go with a face hand fake and then a knee kick. bust a cap and they cant walk.

hight kicks are way too dangerous, so it would be waist and below. probably front or side kick. let's not forget about the powerful back kick also. that puppy does some major damage.
I will agree on those low kicks. Go for the base of the tree first.Most every street fight I ever had was bad footing and bad lighting. Anything over the waist is too risky.

I prefer the STOP as a first move.

In WHKD is it almost like a front leg roundhouse kick to the shin as the person is moving towards you . I have stopped the forward momentum of very larg individuals with this.

In the style of MA that I am in now, JiKai, the stop is a front kick to the joint of the hip and torso. This works very well also

Gene Gabel

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually it was spinning hook kick....just about the most risky kick I could have thrown (outside of 360's and jumping kicks) but at the time it seemed to fit and I just threw it. When this happened I was sparring ALOT Tae Kwon Do style and in the preceeding few weeks before it I had knocked out 2 opponents during our matches with the exact same kick so I was feeling very confident with that movement and technique. I can't honestly say if I would use it again considering I don't train that technique to death like I used to, it just doesn't feel as natural to me right now.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shins first, to set up the hands. Hard to defend against and quite painful. Very good first attack.

Very bad first attack, the groin kick. Why? Any guy has about 375 different ways of protecting the groin naturally and if you barely miss the target, you have an instant psycho on your hands.

Tis true.

Dan Anderson

OP
V

vincefuess

You just have to know how and when to apply them, like anything. I have, do, and will use a variety of kicks for defense. If set up properly, a head kick is effective and highly damaging (as a finish if nothing else). In cowboy boots you can do some real damage. A back kick into the ribs is sweet too- that heel has a way of cracking those puppies. If applied smartly, kicks are devestating weapons.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I had a guy attack me by jumping in the air toward me. I just gave him a good strong front kick in the gut, then followed that with a punch to the face, and he was done.

OP
M

meltdown51

Personally I like using a kick to enable me to close the gab or intercept the opponent as he attacks me. this will leave me in punching range, so I then go to upper body tools.

joe

OP
V

vincefuess

Just a few of my own personal experiences with kicking:

Almost any Kenpo technique can have a solarplex or groin-high back kick added as a "last tag" to it, very effectively. It is pretty much a default action for me to do so. With practice, you can also plant your first back kick firmly into the groin (which doubles them over)- retract that kick all the way to a step-through to create distance, then follow up with a back kick with your other leg to the crown of his head (again- with cowboy boots- this is nasty).

An opponent running full steam at you- which can and does happen sometimes (in fact, you can set them up for this real easy- just run a bit)- is a sitting (or running?) duck for a thrusting sidekick or back kick into the midsection. Just stop and fire it from a good braced angle- his own force does most of the work, and it takes them right down usually. You might get knocked over too, but not with the wind knocked out of you! (or broken ribs).

Just gettin my kicks...

OP
S

Shadowdean

Hmm
well - being a huge TKD guy, but having also branched out, I still think kicking can be a major part of one's arsenol.
One the two major styles of a round house, thai and TKD, I think they both have their time and purpose...
TKD is not quite the karate snappy kick, but it definatly is not as committed as a thai...I think if your at long range (feet, jumping, etc are the only way to reach the opponent) I would go for a TKD style round house or side kick (I personally think the TKD side kick is one of the most powerful variations of that type of kick) to the stomach/gut or a lower target. As the opponent closes in, I would be more apt to use thai style kicks on the legs.
IF I wanted to use another kick, a thrusting/push kick would be my big choice (I think the choice between round house and linear kicks comes down to situation.) My kick would be very, very committed. THere are times, however, when a high chin front kick could be very devistating if you are quick and can catch the guy/girl by surprise.

OP
S

Shadowdean

Hmm...back kick. THis is a tricky kick...I swear it goes against the good senses, but if someone is charging in, the combined forces of the guys momentum towards you and the sheer power that can be derived from this kick can make it a killer....a little less so with the spin hook kick that leaves you open a LOT more, is abit slower and also leaves you open towards more risk - can also be used if you are dead sure your gunna catch the guy on the temple.
BOth of those kicks can be directed towards lower targets for lots o damage.

OP
V

vincefuess

There is alot of debate over the delivery methods and applications of roundhouse-style kicks. I practice of variety of roundhouse kicks- I started doing variations because they were effective in sparring, but I soon found other uses for many of them. Among them are:

LEADING LEG ROUNDHOUSE- a snapping kick not intended for damage, but for stunning, or set-up. The angle of execution varies from semi-downward (cutkick fashion), horizontally linear (mid-level common fashion) or upward (semi-frontkick fashion)

SKIPPING LEADING LEG ROUNDHOUSE- similar as above, but closes gap and has more impact value due to enhanced mechanics. The feinting leading leg roundhouse is similar- the kick is "faked" at low target then rebounds to hit high target (a sparring tool).

REAR LEG ROUNDHOUSE- more powerful, but still not guaranteed damage unless it hits a specific nerve center or softspot. Same angles of execution as described before. This kick rquires more setup, because it telegraphs a bit. Still somewhat a snapping kick as it is usually retracted, though it utilizes more backup mass than a basic "snap" kick.

COMMITED REAR LEG ROUNDHOUSE- Fired with full centrifugal force, full backup mass, and full commitment- the body gyrates AHEAD of the kicking leg to maximize gyroscopic energy which radiates from your torso centerline, unfurling through your hip, knee, then arch in sequential flow. Not a "quickie" strike- but a semi-finisher. You can't retract the kicking leg, it must be planted as the lead foot in the stance after execution of the kick, which limits the feasible applications of this whopper.

None of these are good for every encounter, but they each have their place in a good arsenal.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree Vince. I also learned so many different round house kicks. My TSD instructor started in TKD, then Hapkido, then TSD. He knew so many versions of each kick and he taught all of them. I really like the Thai kick, though. I donno where he learned that, but I'm glad he did, so he could teach us. He taught the low Thai kicks, as well as the normal Korean kicks of TKD/TSD.

I would use different kicks for different situations. But I would also use hand techniques (for "close range" fighting). I wouldn't rely on just kicks. I'd apply some Hapkido (which he also taught us for self defense), in some situations.

OP
V

vincefuess

I would NEVER suggest that kicking be your primary weapon of self-defense (after all, I am primarily a "Kenpo guy")- BUT it does have its place as a very valuable tool in your martial arts toolbox. I for one, love kicking- if for no other reason, to look at me you would NEVER assume I could whack a guy 6' tall in the head with an effective spinning heel kick (I look like I couldn't kick above my knee!), which I can very well. Kicks are more powerful and have deeper reach than your hands, but they require heavier commitment and more skill to utilize.

In a true self defense situation, I would say my ration of hand techniques to kicks would be about 90% vs. 10%- but I want that 10% to be devestating!!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I personally prefer viewing kicks from a distance......
When I am in a situation, one of my favorite things is to get in REAL close, puch the lving **** out of them and then finish it off with a jump spinning back to the tip of the far side ribs. My best kicks are at what most people consider punching range.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Seig.

Me, too. I learned how to kick at close range also. We were taught how to do a side kick when someone is standing right next to you. It's sounds impossible, but it really isn't. The same goes for a front, or roundhouse kick.

Latest Discussions