How do you test your MA skill without using the sport format?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is a rear naked choke not trying to kill someone?
I have applied the RNC countless times. I have never killed anyone with it, nor have I ever tried to kill someone with it.
While I will grant that fighting outside a competitive event carries a greater potential for death or serious injury than within, and it's certainly something to be aware of, the notion that every single encounter is a no-holds-barred fight-to-the-death strikes me as more than a little melodramatic.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did. But I can quote it again. Do you really not understand the difference between eliminating risk and reducing it? Because right there, in your own words, you're agreeing that a ref reduces risk. They do not eliminate it.
No thank you. I think our discussion is done.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is there supposed to be real danger though?

How do you create that in training?

This drill here comes to mind.

Does the real danger make this any more applicable. Or is it just dumb.
Yeah
Is there supposed to be real danger though?

How do you create that in training?

This drill here comes to mind.

Does the real danger make this any more applicable. Or is it just dumb.
It's just dumb and an unnecessary risk...but there cops so bad training is expected.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So how do you test your techniques if you don't use the sports format?
I tested them through defending others in bad situations. Lived in a very violent town growing up...where even cops stayed out of certain areas.

This is also how I know Karate works! It saved my life and more importantly, the life of others many times.

There were always people to defend! What's funny about that, is it seemed it was those involved in sports, that and gangbangers, who caused a lot of issues.

Always the big boys...always.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have applied the RNC countless times. I have never killed anyone with it, nor have I ever tried to kill someone with it.

But you're missing the point; you were indeed using the same technique to kill them but stopped short b/c you allowed them to live when they tapped. It's the same technique used in a gym, a competition, the streets and a fight to the death.

While I will grant that fighting outside a competitive event carries a greater potential for death or serious injury than within, and it's certainly something to be aware of, the notion that every single encounter is a no-holds-barred fight-to-the-death strikes me as more than a little melodramatic.

I never implied any absolute about "every single encounter" being in any one way, did I?

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I tested them through defending others in bad situations. Lived in a very violent town growing up...where even cops stayed out of certain areas.

This is also how I know Karate works! It saved my life and more importantly, the life of others many times.

There were always people to defend! What's funny about that, is it seemed it was those involved in sports, that and gangbangers, who caused a lot of issues.

Always the big boys...always.

was this, "Rumble in the Bronx"?

Latest Discussions