How do you spell bravery?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm watching CNN and heard about this shark attack yesterday in FL. Unlike most attacks, the girl unfortunately died. Very sad, and my heart goes out to her family.

What amazes me and the reason I posted this is I'm listening to the guy that went out to save her. The shark kept attacking as he got the girl on his board. About 6 times he said. The first 3 he splashed and the shark broke off, but the last 3, he actually had to hit the shark. He said that if it was his daughter, he'd hope someone would do the same. Would you?

I'd like to think I would, but to me, that's one of those things that you can't know until you're there. Anyone?

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast, about an hour north of Destin. A few years ago, my barber and his friend were training for a triathalon and during a swim in the Gulf, the friend was attacked by a shark. My barber saw his friend flailing about in the water and when he realized what was happening, he swam between the shark and his partner and began punching the shark in the nose. The friend had already lost most of one arm and the shark kept trying to get to him. The barber stayed between the shark and his friend, punching and pushing all the way in until his friend was safely on shore.

There was article in Readers Digest about it and it got tons of local coverage. I've got the toughest barber in the universe.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, No one knows when they will be tested on this? But anytime you are thinking of the other person who needs your help and you go even if your life will be in danger.....this is bravery!

Everyone has this choice.....lets hope when we all need it ...someone will be there to help.......................................Aloha

Latest Discussions