How do You respectually leave a current sifu to train with another

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i"m thinking about leaving my current sifu/school and training with another. I am scheduled for a trial class to see if all is well. If I decide to leave my current sifu, what is the proper etiquette besides just quitting?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know that there is a specific ettiquette. I would just be honest and respectful and don't burn the bridge on the way out. How your sifu takes it will depend a lot on him. He might burn the bridge for you, or he might not.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truth. Unless you've gone thru Bai Si with your sifu, really just leaving with an honest answer is best. Nothing else can be done after that. If your sifu decides to name you "persona non grata" then that's that. If things were all good, you wouldn't be leaving or looking to leave. So be honest, be polite & accept however he handles it as just that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, my sifu actually says, if you wanna go train elsewhere or just don't want to come back anymore, that's ok, it's your choice, you decide what you wanna do with your life. I think that if you later changed your mind and decided you wanted to come back, you might not get the warmest reception but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I think it would depend on how you handled it on the way out.

He's even said that if you've bai si with him, you can still train elsewhere but don't betray our system, stay true to it even when doing other things. I think you'd have a hard time going to a different sifu of the same system, if you've already bai si, tho. Usually another teacher of the same system won't accept you at that point and to try and do so might burn the bridge.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
i"m thinking about leaving my current sifu/school and training with another. I am scheduled for a trial class to see if all is well. If I decide to leave my current sifu, what is the proper etiquette besides just quitting?

Just end your current contract with him respectfully and professionally, don't bring up going to another gym unless he asks. If you want to remain PC about it, you could just say you've got a new personal commitment coming up that will take up your time and leave it at that.

It's none of his business why you chose to leave, you're a customer, you pay your money for training. You don't have to share anything you don't want to.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just end your current contract with him respectfully and professionally, don't bring up going to another gym unless he asks. If you want to remain PC about it, you could just say you've got a new personal commitment coming up that will take up your time and leave it at that.

It's none of his business why you chose to leave, you're a customer, you pay your money for training. You don't have to share anything you don't want to.

I disagree with this a bit. The martial arts community is small one and is typically has relationships that run a bit deeper than just consumer/vendor. If its not a good relationship, sure, clam up and offer the very minimum. If its a good relationship, but just not the right fit for any of a variety of reasons, follow the golden rule.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

It depends on the relationship you have...

Some clubs and some gyms are certainly simply places you go, train, and leave. Maybe you make a friend or two there, maybe you don't see anyone outside the training hall except by accident.

Others are much more like families... and there are better ways to leave than as if you were simply ending a contract. They've been covered; generally, in a case like that, you at least owe the instructor the courtesy of a "hey, I've decided this place ain't for me, and I'm leaving." If you're going to another training hall, especially if it's in the same style, you probably want to let the teacher know. You don't automatically owe them a lengthy exit interview breaking down your dissatisfaction, but a "hey, I've decided this school isn't for me, and I met this guy who teaches the same system in a way I think I like better (or has better hours/location/whatever)..." is kind of the minimum.

I've had a student disappear, only to get word sideways and later see them at an event, with another school. No real hard feelings, but definitely a bit of an insult that they didn't give me the basic courtesy of telling me what was up. Of course, I also was mildly annoyed with the other instructor for not letting me know, either...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

As others have stated it is your business and you can do what you want. Yet as you have asked for opinions, I would say be honest. Do not make things up. Be honest and let them know you will be training elsewhere. Also if there was an issue the specifically made you want to leave, I would have suggested talking to them first , and maybe you have, so being honest keeps your integrity in place. It does not confuse the instructor or business owner.

Those are my thoughts. :)

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I have taken the advice of just honesty in expressing why I will be training elsewhere. The reason for my departure is only circumstances as my old sifu is great and I will keep in contact.

Latest Discussions